TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
jill4paws

Default Aftermarket cd player

We just purchased a 2005 3124kb however it does not have the cd player in it. Can you use an aftermarket player? Does it have to be one to run on a car battery? And how do you install it, ie do you have to remove the top of the counter? Any help would be appreciated greatly. Thank you, Jill
jill4paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
gcubed

I replaced mine with a single din car stereo with all the bells and whistles (Blue tooth, ipod mp3) excluding the dvd screen. I believe that is all that will fit in the pre-cut opening. I have a 2619, and was able to access it through the panel used to service the fridge on the outside of the trailer. You can purchase any type with or without dvd screen they have the option for the screen to slide in and out as well. That would kill two birds with one stone if you don't want to carry a TV.

-Gregg
Old 01-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Hi Jill,
Welcome to the site. You will need something that runs off a car battery. If you look between the refrigerator and the counter top you should see a slot for a radio or something covering up one. Mine had a small board over it.

You just work through that hole to get everything hooked up and install like a car radio. Inside you should find all the wiring for a radio/cd. I already had speakers in the upper cabinet in the front of the trailer. If you don’t I would think and hope you would find the wires there that run from the radio compartment to where the speaker go on the ends of the cabinet.

I think this is the post I used when I put mine in. You should find a link to some pictures there.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...hlight=speaker

It is nice to have something. I got one I could plug an i-pod into and also run my TV to. We have not used it much as in the summer we spent all our time outside until dark. We are thinking of going south in a few weeks and may get the TV hooked up and find the radio of more use.

This is our first year with the TM. I hope you like yours as much as we like ours.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
jill4paws

Roger & Patty, Thank you for the quick reply. We are really interested in the model you purchased for a radio as my husband loves his ipod! Thank you for your help! Can not wait to make our first trip! Jill
jill4paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

We got one that was also a weather radio which has come in handy. When we were looking for these, they mostly seemed to be for boats, but fit in the same space.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Hi Jill,

This is the one I ended up getting. It seemed to get good reviews and the price was good. I have not used it much yet but it has worked well so far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Roger

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You can learn a lot at the Crutchfield web site, crutchfield.com, even if you don't buy there.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
RalfandKaren

Hi Jill -

We just installed a single DIN (single car stereo slot) player in our 2720SL in fact. We bought ours through Crutchfield and were very happy with the purchase. (free shipping, no sales tax)
It is a Kenwood unit (about $150 in sale if I recall, model KDC-HD548U I think) It has the mini stereo input (iPod), a USB input, HD radio too and even a remote! The remote comes in handy in the TM! Unfortunately, we've only had it in a few weeks, so I cannot provide you any long term trip report yet.

Installation was VERY easy, there should be a slot above the fridge door, below the counter. (about 2 inches high, about 6 inches across) It should be the only access you need - there should be wiring on top of the fridge with speaker wire to connect to the speakers in the front cabinets of the TM, power and antenna connection. (I am presuming that all TMs have this wiring installed?)

Hope that helps,
Ralf
Old 01-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
Dave99gst

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalfandKaren

Installation was VERY easy, there should be a slot above the fridge door, below the counter. (about 2 inches high, about 6 inches across) It should be the only access you need - there should be wiring on top of the fridge with speaker wire to connect to the speakers in the front cabinets of the TM, power and antenna connection. (I am presuming that all TMs have this wiring installed?)
ditto to this... the TM only uses 2 of the speaker channels so i used the other two for out door speakers
Dave99gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

The "slug" that TrailManor puts in place of the radio slot can be slowly pulled out by careful prying of the 2x6" board above the refer. In my case the 12 volt feed line was there above the refer however it went nowhere on the other end. It was just dangling behind the refer not hooked up to anything. The factory guy must have heard the lunch whistle blow and forgot to complete the job upon his return.

Try to figure out the speaker polarity since none of that was labeled in that area above the refer. At least TrailManor makes a nice attempt to putting all the wiring necessary behind the din slot which make the cd player installation hours and hours less in time.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote