TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Default Awning Replacement--Roof mount

So, my Fiamma finally bit the dust after 10 years of hard work. A microburst while I was in the TM grabbed it as part of a sudden storm and flipped it onto the roof (my mod to remove the awning probably saved me here). It flipped back down, eventually, with extreme damage to all parts of the awning, but the TM didn't even rock. Minor damage to the TM forward wall mount bracket, but total loss of the Fiamma. Nothing even to salvage, as every part was bent or damaged (or torn).

So I'm looking into replacements, and realized that for me, a roof mounted awning would be beneficial as I wouldn't need to flip it onto the roof every time I store the TM in my garage. There seem to be 2 major versions: Carefree of Colorado Freedom Roof Mount Awning, and Dometic Perfectroof.

What I was wondering is if anyone here has had experience with either of these companies and/or these products, to maybe guide my hand.

And, yes, I am also looking into a separate canopy/pavilion/etc. But for a variety of reasons, convenience included, there is a benefit to an attached awning that I would like to keep it in the consideration as well.

Thanks!
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #2
Peterbug

Default My light cheap Chinese awning

In June I bought a 2008 TM 2619 that was missing it's factory installed awning, as previous owner said the original was destroyed by wind. My opinion is that NONE of the available options will handle much wind, as I also installed a SunSetter retractable on my parents house.
I wanted a light inexpensive awning that I could view as a 'consumable' with about 2 seasons of use before needing replacement, and not worry if a surprise wind came along. I chose an 8x8 model on ebay like the one in the following video:
The video is accurate, and my experience is that it works fine for the money. You can find them by doing an ebay search using the terms: "Car Tent Awning Rooftop SUV Truck Camping Travel Shelter Outdoor Sunshade Canopy".
Mounting: The included brackets are Right Angle brackets designed to be bolted to a roof rack rail as found on many SUV roofs, but I needed to mount to the TM aluminum profile that connects the roof panels to the sidewalls. I chose 1/4" thick stainless steel plate for the final version (prototype in picture is aluminum) 2.25" wide and 10" long.
I used the original brackets to space my holes for drilling, and cut two brackets so as to drill both at same pass. Note that I used Rivet Nuts, sometimes called RivNuts, to make a threaded hole in the TM aluminum and allow for strong threads and a removeable bracket. I bought a cheap rivet nut setter on ebay, and it is great for adding strong threaded attachment points to blind holes in thin metal.
I added extra holes and length to allow for wind to spill when there is a breeze, but I do not trust any awning the size of a small sail to hold in a decent wind. It worked well enough on my big summer trip, and my cost was about $180 with all parts. The fabric is easily replaced and customized, and the whole awning comes off easily with 4 bolts, allowing it to be moved to my Ford Expedition for daytrips where I want shade. It is easily stored inside the TM on the floor in winter, and brackets easily removed to accomodate winter cover cloth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Awning Bracket DIY.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	18573  
Not Yet Lift Kit, Not Yet 15 inch tires
Peterbug is offline   Reply With Quote