TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
TexasCamper

Default How NOT to lift TM off wheels for storage

Yeah, I blew it. Didn't think through this one all the way.

But my intentions were good: I was worried that if I lifted the TM onto four jacks, and they were not completely level with each other, then the frame may contort and during the winter the frame might bend ever so slightly. So I thought storing the TM at three points was better. After all, you've never sat on a crooked 3-legged stool, have you?

For 2 of my 3-point lift, I jacked up the back two wheels and placed a jack on the frame behind the wheel (NOT on the axle, I knew enough not to do that!).

For the last point, this is where I erred: instead of placing a jack at the front, I decided at last minute to keep the weight on my tongue jack. And at the bottom of the tongue jack is that nice detachable wheel, which is some type of plastic. Within two months that little wheel deformed into a nice flat-tire looking wheel. Why did this happen? Since the other two jacks were further back from the wheels, the TM weight shifted more to the front jack. Obviously much more weight than the little wheel could handle.

I haven't operated my electric tongue jack yet, but I sure hope I didn't screw that up.

John
TV#1: 2008 Chrysler Town & Country (3.8L Touring w/ tow package, WDH) (*retired 2018*)
TV#2: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder (w/ tow package, WDH)
TV#3: 2018 Ford F150 (w/ tow package, WDH)
TexasCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Bluegrass

"Wisdom comes from making mistakes."

FWIW, my front wheel is metal. Never seen a plastic one.

Keith
Old 12-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

our front wheel is plastic also, We use a flat metal pad instead.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Mine is a hard rubbery plastic as well.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
Beak12

Mine is Metal also.

PS: Think I will go down to storae with a hammer and tap on it to make sure.

PSS: Well is my face red---went down with a hammer today and I think it must be plastic of some sort. Sure did not sound the same as when taping on the rest of the housing????
Old 12-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
PopBeavers

You might consider a jack fot pad. Instead of a wheel you would have a metal plate on the ground. The ones I have seen are about 2x6 inches.

Another alternative is a pair of wheels instead of a single wheel.

I have the single plastic wheel. my is not used during storage because i have the swing tongue.

I sort of did like you. I wanted to take at least some of the weight off te TM tires for the few months of winter storage.

I backed into the garage but stopped short about two feet. I went to the back and set both rear jacks to almost touch the floor. I tried to keep the clearance to the floor equal.

I cranked up the front of the TM with the tongue jack. This is, as you described, a three point system.

I then set both front corner jacks firmly, and as equal as I could. Then the jack pressure was released and the tongue swiveled away.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:37 AM   #7
Dave99gst

Ive never bothered to do anything to aid my tires while any of my campers/trailers/cars/sandrails/anything with pneumatic tires have been stored.. NEVER had a problem.
Dave99gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
Beak12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
You might consider a jack fot pad. Instead of a wheel you would have a metal plate on the ground. The ones I have seen are about 2x6 inches.

Another alternative is a pair of wheels instead of a single wheel.

I have the single plastic wheel. my is not used during storage because i have the swing tongue.

I sort of did like you. I wanted to take at least some of the weight off te TM tires for the few months of winter storage.

I backed into the garage but stopped short about two feet. I went to the back and set both rear jacks to almost touch the floor. I tried to keep the clearance to the floor equal.

I cranked up the front of the TM with the tongue jack. This is, as you described, a three point system.

I then set both front corner jacks firmly, and as equal as I could. Then the jack pressure was released and the tongue swiveled away.

Wayne---Winter storage in San Jose CA. Heck you can camp all winter
Old 11-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
TMtraveler

11/4/13 Just found your post....Is it possible to bend the triangular front part of the frame on a 2720SL by jacking up and putting the frame onto stands right behind the wheels (to take weight off the tires for the winter storage)? If more weight is transferred to the tongue is it enough to bend the that area of the trailer (i.e. the frame area right underneath the slideout ?
TMtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote