TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Boondocking and Dry Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-16-2006, 08:09 AM   #11
JonS55
Site Sponsor

I have a 1995 2720. From what I've read on the forums here the Yamaha 2400 will run the AC. Can I run lights and other stuff also with this unit. I'd like to hear from owners of the Yamaha.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:13 PM   #12
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

JonsS55,

I have a Yamaha EF3000 which has the same engine as the EF2400. I've had mine for 2-1/2 trouble free years. Given that both have the same engine I think you will be very happy with the EF2400. If I had to do it all over again I'd go for the EF2400. I suggest you also look in RV.NET for all the IMOs on Yamaha & Honda.

You also want to consider continuous run time. One of my primary concerns was having uninterrupted overnight runtime with the airconditioner running given the hot weather in florida (where we live). You can get an extended run time with an auxilliary fuel tank available through wisesales.com for the Honda 2000 series. I've yet to see something like the for the Yamaha 2400.

When comparing the Honda EU2000, Yamaha EF2400, and the (Honda/Yamaha) 3000 series. You want to consider:

- Weight
- Continuous run time
- Power requirements
- How you will transport the generator
- A single generator is less maintenance and gadgets than two.
- If the single generator fails... you might wish you had two

Part of the reason why some people can/can't start their air with the Honda EU2000s is because some have wall mount window type air conditioners while other models have the Coleman roof mounted types. The Coleman's have lower starting requierments and can be started at or near sea level.

There are as many good choices as there are models in the market.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:22 AM   #13
JonS55
Site Sponsor

gng, good info. I have an older TM that has the wall type ac. I think, all things considered that the EF2400 is going to be my generator.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:41 AM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by grill-n-go View Post
Part of the reason why some people can/can't start their air with the Honda EU2000s is because some have wall mount window type air conditioners while other models have the Coleman roof mounted types. The Coleman's have lower starting requierments and can be started at or near sea level.
Mario -

Are you sure about this? Though I have no first-hand knowledge, I was under the impression that the old side-mount air conditioners were sustantially smaller (many fewer BTUs) than the new roof-mounts. I would think - but again I'm not sure - that this would mean a smaller motor and a smaller starting surge.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:15 PM   #15
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Nope, not sure.

I've noticed from all the different posts (i.e. PopBeavers) that those who own roof mounted Colemans & EU2000s seem to be able to run their aircontioners at sea level while those with side-mount types appear to have problems.

My guess is that the newer airconditioners include a start assist capacitor while the older airconditioners don't provide any kind of device to reduce start-up amps. I'd like to see someone with a side-mount air post nameplate data, Full load and locked rotor amps (LRA), inrush code, or maybe do a poll of EU2000 owners with either a roof mount or a side mount airconditioners to see what they have to say.

I've put a mickey mouse amp meter on my roof mounted coleman and got a reading of 12.5 full load amps (air on low cool).

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote