TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-08-2019, 02:48 AM   #1
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Default Battery charging/PulseTech

I have just gone through a steep learning curve about lead acid batteries after puzzling over why brand new batteries from Costco were performing worse than the batteries I took out and deemed unfit for service.

This lead (no pun intended, trust me) me to discover a company called Pulsetech. They manufacture a charger/desulfator that provides current pulses during charging and maintenance cycles of around 25kHz (that's 25000 pulses per second). Many have reported to recover dozens of dead batteries this way. I also learned that many batteries sitting on the store shelf for even a couple of months get sulfated from just sitting there. BINGO! That's why the Costco batteries were so bad. All three Costco batteries that I have purchased this year have not performed to spec. One I exchanged, and the second one died last week.

There are several pulse type desulfators out there, and each claim to work, so take your pick. I got the Pulsetech one to try out. On my Tahoe, the brand new battery gave me about 12.4 to 12.5 V maximum. I put the desulfator on it for a total of about 25 hours and I now have 12.7 V at full charge. So, now I know they really work. At least the Pulsetech.

Many of these pulse type desulfators can be used continuously to maintain a battery. In fact, the longer they are used, the more they desulfate. So now I'm thinking that as we use our deep cycle batteries, they will slowly sulfate over the season. Once my car batteries are brought up to spec, I'm going to put the Pulsetech on my TM battery for the winter and see if I can get even better performance out of it.

But, there's one more thing I learned tonight. A lot of people swear by pairing up 2 6V batteries in series. A research group in Oakland University found may problems with 24 V systems using 2 12 V batteries. They say these problems will exist in any battery of any voltage, so 2 6V batteries in series will have the same problem.

The ideal charge voltage at the end of the charge cycle is 14.7V. If you are charging 2 12V batteries, the charge cycle would end once you reach 29.4V (twice the 14.7V). Now here is the problem. No two batteries are the same, even if you buy the same brand of the same manufacturing date. As they age, they will deteriorate at different rates anyway. So, once you reach the magic number of 29.4 V for a fully charged battery, battery "A" may actually be at 13.84 V (not fully charged) and battery "B" at 15.56 V (overcharged). There is a lot of discussion of the discharge voltage. Once battery can be forced into "cell reversal" which is damaging to the battery.

I had once considered a series 6V battery system, but I think I will stick to the single 12 V battery. The military often use the 12 V batteries in series, as do other groups, so the research in this area continues to refine the charge cycles.

For the complicated full paper: Consequences of Deep Cycling 24 Volt Battery Strings, Henry A. Catherino and Fred Feres, SAE International Journal of Alternative Powertrains, Vol. 4, No. 2 (July 2015), pp. 378-387

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:26 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We've been very happy with our 2 6 volt batteries over the years (since 2003?). I think the Trojans are very well made compared to other batteries. We're on our third set.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #3
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

I agree that a lot of people use the 2 6V batteries in series without issue. And maybe you have a point that the Trojans are well enough made that they can be matched well.

If I ever need to buy a battery again, I will be sure to take a little voltmeter with me, and check the date on any battery. The last 3 Costco batteries, supposedly good Kirkland ones, show poor capacity even when new. I'm trying the Pulsetech on it now.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:43 PM   #4
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I bought a large charger about 7- 8 years ago. It somehow determines if it needs to pulse the battery. If it does somewhere between 70 and 80% of charge, it will go into the pulse mode and it will take 3-5 hours to move the charge by 10%. But it does seem to do a very good job.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:30 PM   #5
kengiesige
Site Sponsor

I bought my 2005 2720sd in Oct 2015 it had 2 6 volt Trojan batteries they only lasted 1 year
then I bought 2 6 volt interstate batteries & during the winter while it is covered I
charge with a Battery Tender & have not had a problem with the batteries being fully
charged up---Ken
Rear step & Front 2" Ball
kengiesige is offline   Reply With Quote