TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2007, 01:36 AM   #11
larsdennert

We bought ours used and it was well used and traded in at a Winnebago dealer. They had no idea what to do with it or even how to open it. When I bought it, I saw many small problems but none were serious to cause me worry. To my surprise, the Winnebago dealer wouldn't release the unit to me for several days wanting to go through it completely. They checked everything they could, redid the brakes and bearings and replaced whatever trim and brackets they could. Then they sent me off with a care package filled with stuff a new RV'er needs like toilet paper and chem, sewer hose, electrical 30A to 20A plug, an extra awning crank and a new jack crank. They fixed the Toyota RV wiring converter and installed a brake controller. Then they had the nerve to wash the TM and 4Runner to like-new shape.

My point is that Dealers vary. This was Altman's Winnebago Baldwin Park CA BTW. It sounds like the dealers working on your TM are horrible. Altman's didn't fix everything. I ended up using some stouter screws in some of the trim like the wardrobe track and the small bracket that supports the shower walls when folded. Fixing a bunch of little things now will prevent more serious issues later.

I don't want to make light of your issues, but stepping back, they all appear to be minor in problem. If the mirror comes off, use something stronger to reattach it. If the cabinet is loose, a few brackets and sheet metal screws from a hardware store should fix it up. Bath walls could have a bracket loose at the sink too and just need some long deck screws to make it bullet proof. Misaligned shells just need someone slightly skilled to adjust the torsion bars. Take a screwdriver and tighten up the outside door latch. Super glue does wonders for loose velcro. My point is that I don't see any serious structural issues mentioned. I bet if you found the right mechanic/handyman it would cost a fraction of a lawsuit in money and headache. I honestly wish you luck with whatever route you go and hope you will be Rv'ing on that route soon.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:06 AM   #12
AstroBruce

Step up to the plate, and become a site sponsor. You will then have access to all the threads about maintaining and adjusting your TM, and upgrades to make your camping experience better. There are plenty of members here that can answer your questions and help.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:07 AM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

njtm3023 -

I'm still waiting to hear the year of your TM. A claim (or expectation) for over $28,000 sounds excessive unless your TM is brand new. Your first post tells me that it is a 2004 model or older, and so - well, it isn't new. The NADA guide suggsts more like $13,000 for a 2004.

Frenchy's post about unbalanced tires is important. All of your issues sound like unbalanced wheel shake-it-to-death issues. You wouldn't have noticed them on your initial short trips, but the longer trips the next year would have brought them out.

Am I missing something here?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:05 AM   #14
BobRederick

njtm,

I agree with Bill. Your damages all appear to be related to out of balance tires. I had this as well and it opened gaps between shells. I didn't have much damage inside except the cover over my furnace kept falling off and scratching the finish where it is pressed against. No problems since I balanced the tires. They needed quite a bit of weight.

For some reason, I posted this right after you posted but it didn't show up, so I am posting it again. I am surprised the dealers didn't recognize this culprit.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #15
njtm3023owner

Bill,
I posted a reply but I don't see it. So here is part of it.
-
'05, 3023 with 98 Dodge Durango or 07 Chevrolet Avalanche for towing.
-
Picked up Sept. 05 and by Sept. 06 it had been the shop for 60 days.
-
Started Lemon Law Case October when we hit 98 days in shop. Might expect walls needing replacement, cabinets breaking down, etc. after several years, not 4 months/4 trips. Especially with the price paid for it. I wouldn't want to buy a new car/truck and have it start to fall apart at 1000 miles and need to have some of it replaced/rebuilt by 3500 miles.
-
A new 3023 with the options we have is retail listed at TM website as $31,634 plus tax registration and dealer costs. If we don't get a replacement we need something to buy another trailer with because we will still be paying for the one we don't have. We don't want to give up camping.
-
we found out at a different TM dealer on mon. that our TM cabinet was not made for an oven, there is no support built in for it. it was 3 hours each way to get there though. It also took about 5 mins. for them to figure out other problems that willingboro did not over 127 days.
-
we have not had the tires checked, we did not know about it until now. Willingboro doesn't even know what a tire is! as far as I can guess.
-
Sorry if I offended someone. Step up to the plate? Become a site sponsor? I just found out about this group and don't understand all of it yet.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:42 AM   #16
cmc211

I hope what ever happens it works out the best for you. I've only had minor issues with mine and I have to keep in mind that with TM's they are balancing quality with weight reduction. Everytime something does happen like screws come out etc I tell my self I have a heck of a nice camper and I'm getting 15mpg going down the highway. I do wish you the best!!!
Old 10-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #17
Queeniereads

I echo a message I heard here. We dealt with an authorized TM dealer. TMs are not like any other TT. Go to the TM website and see where there is a dealer that is authorized to do TM work. We have had our TM for several years and even on dusty back roads, we only got a bit of dust -- nothing major except that we do occasionally find loose screws that we tighten. Queen
Old 10-17-2007, 10:11 AM   #18
Bill & Lisa

Loose screws are not limited to TrailManors.....I just went around my 5th wheel this weekend as part of breaking camp and had lots of screws to tighten. In fact I actually lost one around the frame of my sewer hose storage door. If you drive it on the roads it is going to vibrate and loosen screws. Not sure why cars don't have as big a problem as RVs do but all RVs need to have screws tightened - inside and out. Last month one of the screws holding my fan blade on to my cieling fan fell out and the blade pivoted slightly and started rubbing on the light fixture. Luckily we were there at the time and knew it didn't sound right and found and fixed the cause.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:17 AM   #19
Shandysplace

Default Wheel Balancing

Bill (Moderator) mentioned this to us and we clarified it with Ed Lytle (TM Service Manager):

Wheel balancing issues are rare, but they do occcasionally occur with very unhappy results. Ed Lytle confirmed that TM does not balance the tires at the factory, but MOST IMPORTANTLY if your TM is damaged by vibration cuased by out-of-balance wheels, IT IS NOT COVERED BY THE WARRANTY and recommended having the wheels balanced if you live a long way from the dealer (164 miles in our case).

As we prepare to take delivery of our new 3326 King, I brought up this issue with our dealer. They said that wheel balancing is not part of the PDI. Not only that this dealer said they don't even have a spin balancer. They did, however, say that would charge us 1/2 hour of shop labor to drive the TM to their tire shop and have all the 5 wheels balanced. We would also pay the tire balancing invoice w/no markup to the dealer. We felt that was fair.

Small price to pay for some peace of mind on this issue.

w/r,

Shandysplace
Old 10-28-2007, 07:27 AM   #20
P and B

I wrote about our maiden voyage and posted it here. We also had things jump out...like the MW. The problems you are having sound a lot like what always happens with these things. I've had one other motorhome and was always repairing little things. The common advice that I got had to do with the tire balancing, which I will check on next week. I think all of this advice is too late for you since you've filed for mitigation.

Good luck. I'll be curious to know what kind of satsfaction you'll get. I'm a bit disappointed at TM for not making it right. This is usually an indicator of the integrity of their management.

Phil