TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2003, 08:17 PM   #1

Default Trail Manor for Extended Trips

Hi! I'm new to this board so please bear with me if this is the wrong section to post this question in, BUT I have been cosidering a Trail Manor for our next RV for some time no but would like to gain more information.
As I move towards retirement, I would like to purchase the RV that will serve us well, especially during those first few years of travel. I plan on spending 3 to 4 months on the road. Since gas prices are not likely to decrease, I really like the TM!
My question to any and/or all of you is: Are any of you using your TM for extended trips such as I've described? Are any of you "full timing" or such in a TM? Thanks for your input! ???
Old 09-06-2003, 09:58 PM   #2
Windbreaker

Default Re:Trail Manor for Extended Trips

I'm not full timing, nor have we stayed in it for any time over 16 days in a row. But, I offer the following.

I would never consider full timing in one.

Extended trips are a sure to happen thing. Now your questions has a lot of possible answers. What kind of camper are you? Do you park it and set around the campground? If you do I don't think you would be happy with it. On the other hand if you plan on using it to eat and sleep in mostly, the rest of the time out doing other things I think you would be very happy with it.

On that 16 day trip we spent every night in it, ate breakfast and dinner and spent most evening in or near the camper but the days were spent out seeing the country side, visiting places we had never been before. We loved it. Had the trip been in the winter we would not have enjoyed it. Spring, summer, and fall are all good times (for us) to get out and do thus the TM is great for our camping style.

If you enjoy watching TV while parked in a campground you might not like it so much even though you could do that (I know of one couple where the wife sets in the camper all day and the man gets out and runs around seeing what there is to see. . . to each his own.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:33 PM   #3
Gene

This is our third "snowbird" season in Mesa, Arizona, living in our 3326King for three months at this RV resort. One of my wife's complaints was that there was not enough refrigerator room. So we solved that by purchasing a Coleman thermoelectric cooler from WalMart. We also purchased two plastic cabinets with three drawers on wheels to give us more storage space. We bought some cheap shelving to hold all of our computer paraphalia. The shelving is next to the closet. We have cable TV and a phone line directly in our TM. I installed an electric water heater. Although we have the optional heat strip in our air conditioner, we are able to and prefer to heat our TM with a small electric heater. Amazingly, it does the trick. We use very little propane, only for cooking. So with some adjustments, it is possible to live in a TM for extended periods of time. We know some people who full-timed in their TM.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:44 AM   #4
cardsfan39

Just got back from 2 1/2 week trip to Colorado to try and determine livability over extended period of time. It seemed to work fine for our type of camping for my wife and I. We spend most of our time outside, even eating out, if the weather is cooperative. Evenings were spent mostly outside playing board games or sitting by a campfire. While we are actually camping, (not on the road to camping location), we prefer to stay at least 1 week at each location. I would not recommend a TM for touring type of camping where you spend 1 or 2 days at a location.
We do set up a portable satellite dish to keep up with the news and something to do in inclement weather.

Eugene has a good idea about the Coleman thermo-electric cooler. We got one for extended stay camping in the summer. We got a small oak finished 2-drawer dresser to set it on so it gives you easy access. To make room we took out the blue rocker since we didn't need the extra seating with just 2 in our TM 3023. We appreciated the extra fridge room. We moved the Coleman to our van while traveling. We kept drinks and lunch in it for on the road. We took it in to the motel room at night ( we decided against staying in a campground while traveling in the Texas 100 heat getting to and from Colorado) We will take the Coleman out for our local fall, winter and spring camping in Texas.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:12 PM   #5

Hi! Thanks for the replies, so far! Keep 'em coming! I should have explained that my wife and I very much prefer to be outside. Including meals cooked and eaten outside whenever possible and a good picnic canopy makes it possible 99.9% of the time. We are outside kayaking, hiking or sightseeing most of the time, Tend to just sleep in the camper, although not sure how much will change as we get older!
One very positive point is that our house is small at about 1200 square feet, so we are fairly used to living in cramped spaces!
Old 09-07-2003, 07:22 PM   #6
Windbreaker

With the givin new information. I would suggest you get a TM!

I think that is what the smaller ones were designed for.

Unlike Cardsfan, I have no problem using my TM for on-the-way-there type camping, it goes up easy and is good exercise after a day's driving. The deep knee bends (putting the corner jacks down) hurt a little the first time out but all is well now.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:07 AM   #7
Chris_Bauer

I have had both a 2720SL and a 3326. For two people I think both units are suitable for fulltiming. However, the 3326 offers much more room. Storage is abundant. You have a king-size bed, a dinette, etc. We have wintered in the TM with snow, ice and 65 mph winds. Knowing many fulltimers, I think a TM is a good choice. You can really save money on fuel (check monthly expenses for fulltiming and gas is always at the top of the list), a smaller tow vehicle and most of all, it is better for the environment. Afterall, isn't what this is all about, enjoying nature, freedom etc.

For me, a good night's sleep is one of the most important requirements, and a king-size bed in an RV is very hard to find.

One other thing, I just read my RVTraveler newsletter on line and they talk about three new rvs for 2004. In all the info and the specs not once does it talk about m.p.g. on the motorhome or the F550 megaton pickup. I believe we should start thinking more about the fuel we consume as it is becoming or will become more expensive and does affect the environment. Just my two pesos.

Chris Bauer
Old 09-20-2003, 02:41 PM   #8
Bruce

We spent the summer months of 2000 & 2001 in our 3124 SL. It worked fine for us and we never felt cramped or at a lack for space. Yes the fridge is small but we stocked up before picking a campground and could last up to 4 or 5 days before having to shop again. If we were boondocking this was usually about the time the propane tank needed refilling anyway.
We are active people who are usually out hiking, biking or sightseeing during the day. We also find the TM works quite well for the "we're only passing through" type of oovernight stop.

Bruce
Old 09-21-2003, 07:58 PM   #9
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Spending 3 or 4 months in a 3124KS or a 3326 King would be no problem. As an owner of a 3326 King, the unit offers a lot of storage space and room. The best thing about the 3326 is the permanent side dinette in the kitchen area. The 3124 and the 3326 have almost the same amount of storage space. The extra cost for the 3326 vs the 3124 is well worth it if you are seriously going to use it for extended times. As you stated, the price of gas is going up, and who knows what it will be down the line. Even with a 3326 King, I still get decent gas mileage with my Durango. Any other trailer this size would not be too kind on your wallet. Motorhomes would even be worse. You would have to pull your car behind the motorhome unless you felt like breaking up camp each time you wanted to go somewhere.

Happy shopping.

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 03:43 PM   #10
tomr

My wife and I just sold our home this spring and lived in our 3023 from May 15 to Oct 15. We found that it was comfortable and roomy enough for us. We bought another small refrigerator to supplement the one we have. Other than a couple of leaks around the roof vents, we found that we had plenty of room. We are going to live in it again next summer.