TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
Beach Boy

Default Thanks For The Info

Thanks for the heads up. I saw the Elkmonts on their website, but I thought they were just traditional travel trailers. I am going over to their website now.

Please keep the comments coming.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
hjbourge
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_STRONG View Post
I think that your questions were just directed at the traditional TrailManor. If you are serious about snowbirding and still want something that is easy to tow & get good gas mileage, I would seriously look at the Elkmont TrailManors. They are built just like the regular TrailManors, and if you look at the weights for both units, you will be surprised that there isn't much difference.

Having owned 3 TrailManors since 1992, we bought the Elkmont 26 in May, and we just love it. It doesn't have all of the counter space as our 3326King had, but the Elkmont has a lot of other positive points over the 3326King. I get about 1 to 1.5 miles per gallon less pulling the Elkmont, but it tows just as well as the 3326King. It's nice to have a lot more storage space, huge 6 cubic foot refrig, large screen door, and no more opening and closing it. It's real nice to stop at a rest area, and just unlock the door, and get something out of the refrig or just use the toilet instead of the public restrooms which can be pretty nasty sometimes.

Please don't think that I am knocking the traditional TrailManor. We would not have bought 3 of them over the years if we didn't think that they were a great unit. But now at our stage in life, the Elkmont fits our needs better. That is why TrailManor builds different models of the traditional TrailManor as well as 3 different size Elkmonts plus different floor plans for the 24 foot size one.

Another thing that you did not mention was if price of the new TrailManors was a big issue. If it is, you will find that the Elkmont will cost a lot less than the traditional TrailManor. If we had bought a new 3326King, the retail would have been at least $41 to $42,000.00. Our Elkmont 26 retailed for $35,000.00 fully loaded. Big difference in price. Of course we bought it out right & we were able to get a huge amount off the suggested retail.

So, take a look at the Elkmonts if you are seriously looking at buying a TrailManor of some kind.
Hi Bob.
I currently have a '10 2720SD TM that we ordered/bought at a trailer show in 09. We had thought that we were getting an 09 but when it came in it was the 1st 2010 off the line. We had ordered this with a cross country trip in mind. We took our cross country trip and was on the road for 2 1/2 months, leaving from New England and headed south then across to Los Angles, on to route 66, across to Chicago and then home. Put on some 8K miles and stopped at 29 campgrounds plus a few that were not campgrounds.

All this said and done being in our late 6o's, we were getting very tired of set up and take down of the TM, along with the fact that it is not very tight when it comes to keep out bugs. Did not have any trouble towing it behind a Honda Ridgeline, which has a tow rate of 5K lbs, and had no sway problems when passing or being passed by trucks.

We are now thinking of upgrading to the Elkmont and are looking for anyone who owns one and had traded in the traditional TrailManor for their opinions on the Elkmont. Would like to hear your feelings as to workmanship, storage, handling on road, tightness of the unit (bug problem), and are there any electrical outlets on both sides of the bed, as we need to connect medical equipment up at night, comfort and ease of set up once you get to a campground.

2720SD TM 2010 model
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Prodigy brake controller
hjbourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #13
Beak12

Here are my questions:

1. If we snowbird, is a TM suitable for long-term stays (3 months)?

2. Are TM's safer to tow than other towables? Trucks pushed our 18k motorhome all over this place. So how is the sway? I would like to hear from everybody but those who have towed over types of towables would be great.

3. Is the TM air conditioner up to the task of South Florida heat and humidity? If not, any creative solutions?

4. I see posts from people are selling in order to move to a 5th wheel or motorhome. Why?

Love this forum. Can't wait for the replies.

First I must say we have owned about 4 Rv's of various types. The last one being a 37' Itasca Suncruser, which we traveled for about 9 months in two different years. Health required we stop RVing. But when I sort of got back on my feet my wife said we should get a small TT so we could do weekends with family. So we got a 2720SL (04) we got used at Custom RV. We liked it vary much. But because I could not lift it anymore (age & health) (wife would try and find other campers in a park to help setup and take down) we traided it for a 24' Elkmont.

Q#1 We spent 3 months last year traveling from CA to western NY. Moving about every three days. No problems--at least not any more than any other RV.

Q#2 Had no problems towing. Wind from big rigs, no real problems. Yes we did feel them but again no problems.

Q#3 Had more cool weather than Hot so can't answer about AC.

Q#4 My class A 37' Suncruser really did feel more like a home. 3 large slides and a private bedroom with small desk for work and TV with a large chair for private TV watching. But it also required lots of fixing of stuff.

When I got my Elkmot 24 (the floor plan with the couch that makes into a bed with air mattres) the 26' was not in the picture. However I would go with the 26 now because of the fixed private Bedroom and fixed bed.

Hope this helps.

John

PS: But then I would have to get something stronger to pull the TM. LOL
Old 12-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #14
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wahlsten View Post
However I would go with the 26 now because of the fixed private Bedroom and fixed bed.
In the boating world, this phenomenon is actually a disease commonly known as 2-footitis. It's very difficult and very expensive to treat. During the course of therapy, sufferers try new treatments and it will get better for awhile. Then, just when they think they are out of the woods, symptoms return, and in fact get even more intense than ever before, which in turn requires even more aggressive and expensive treatment. For some -- the lucky ones - a curative therapy may take 30 years. For others, it's something they have to deal with for the rest of their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wahlsten View Post
PS: But then I would have to get something stronger to pull the TM. LOL
Yes, this is easily recognizable as one of the treatment options. You are wise to consider it.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #15
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjbourge View Post
Hi Bob.
We are now thinking of upgrading to the Elkmont and are looking for anyone who owns one and had traded in the traditional TrailManor for their opinions on the Elkmont. Would like to hear your feelings as to workmanship, storage, handling on road, tightness of the unit (bug problem), and are there any electrical outlets on both sides of the bed, as we need to connect medical equipment up at night, comfort and ease of set up once you get to a campground.
We didn't upgrade but I will give you my opinion nontheless:

workmanship: improving.

storage: good, especially under the bed but also in kitchen and bath areas.

handling: very good as axle is way back making it heavy on the hitch. Typically 620#. You will need a WDH, but sway control may not be required if your TV has enough wheelbase.

tightness: I needed to spray expanding foam into quite few bottom holes and all along the rear wall to floor boundary. At Everglades N.P. (lots of skeeters) had to adjust the screen door to fit tighter. Otherwise fine.

Electrical: there are two outlets under the bed, one on each side.

We spent a month on the road this summer and will be in Florida for two periods of 6 weeks each. The Elkmont has been fine for that.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #16
TravlinOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Boy View Post
... I want to travel with my wife throughout South Florida investigating sites for a future Park Model or maybe do some snowbirding when I retire in about six years.
3. Is the TM air conditioner up to the task of South Florida heat and humidity? If not, any creative solutions?

Love this forum. Can't wait for the replies.
Beach Boy, I know you are familiar with mosquitoes and "no see'ums" from your time spent at Gulf Shores and other beach areas. I live in So. Florida and have camped in various forms all over the state, currently I'm in a new-for-me 2008 TM3326King. Here are some thoughts.
1. I really miss not having a screened awning on the TM. I've been told that the TM awning is not strong enough to support a screen, and mine doesn't look to be very strong. We use a Coleman screen tent and that helps. The place with the MOST mosquitoes for me was at Chokoloskee, FL - great for stone crab and several good campgrounds - lots of snow birds. The most itchy mosquitoes (smallish black) we found so far were in the Indian River Area from Stuart to Fort Pierce but lots of snow birds with park trailers here. Not all Florida is like this, however, we've camped in the Ocala and Gainesville areas with few problems.
2. I have found the AC on our TM to be very satisfactory so far, but the worst heat that we ever camped was in August in St Augustine - 105 degree days with high humidity. That will be a challenge, I think, for any AC. The secret, I think, is to explore as many potential campgrounds as possible before camping there. Some trees on the west side of the campsite is very desirable.
3. If you plan to put a park model somewhere in FL, don't forget to check the most frequented hurricane paths. Anything around West Palm Beach south to Miami is a magnet for hurricanes due to the proximity of the Gulf Stream. Always check the potential high water mark for the location; I have friends who lost a very expensive lot and trailer to one of the hurricanes that came through FL a few years back.

All that said, I still love living and camping in Florida, but on our side of the fence, we are planning a semi-long trip up through Alabama and Tennessee later this spring. Please share of your thoughts/experiences/places.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #17
Beak12

In the boating world, this phenomenon is actually a disease commonly known as 2-footitis. It's very difficult and very expensive to treat. During the course of therapy, sufferers try new treatments and it will get better for awhile. Then, just when they think they are out of the woods, symptoms return, and in fact get even more intense than ever before, which in turn requires even more aggressive and expensive treatment. For some -- the lucky ones - a curative therapy may take 30 years. For others, it's something they have to deal with for the rest of their lives.

Well I think I'm getting better. My wife just told me we went from a 24' Class C to a 33 Class A, then a 35' Class A, then a 37' class A. Then we moved back to a 27' 2720SL TM and now a 24' Elkmont. So my health is improving and 2-footitis is almost gone. LOL
Old 12-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #18
Beach Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinOn View Post
Beach Boy, I know you are familiar with mosquitoes and "no see'ums" from your time spent at Gulf Shores and other beach areas. I live in So. Florida and have camped in various forms all over the state, currently I'm in a new-for-me 2008 TM3326King. Here are some thoughts.
1. I really miss not having a screened awning on the TM. I've been told that the TM awning is not strong enough to support a screen, and mine doesn't look to be very strong. We use a Coleman screen tent and that helps. The place with the MOST mosquitoes for me was at Chokoloskee, FL - great for stone crab and several good campgrounds - lots of snow birds. The most itchy mosquitoes (smallish black) we found so far were in the Indian River Area from Stuart to Fort Pierce but lots of snow birds with park trailers here. Not all Florida is like this, however, we've camped in the Ocala and Gainesville areas with few problems.
2. I have found the AC on our TM to be very satisfactory so far, but the worst heat that we ever camped was in August in St Augustine - 105 degree days with high humidity. That will be a challenge, I think, for any AC. The secret, I think, is to explore as many potential campgrounds as possible before camping there. Some trees on the west side of the campsite is very desirable.
3. If you plan to put a park model somewhere in FL, don't forget to check the most frequented hurricane paths. Anything around West Palm Beach south to Miami is a magnet for hurricanes due to the proximity of the Gulf Stream. Always check the potential high water mark for the location; I have friends who lost a very expensive lot and trailer to one of the hurricanes that came through FL a few years back.

All that said, I still love living and camping in Florida, but on our side of the fence, we are planning a semi-long trip up through Alabama and Tennessee later this spring. Please share of your thoughts/experiences/places.
On your way to Tennessee through Alabama, you need to stop at Little River Canyon near Ft. Payne, Alabama right off of I-59. The largest canyon east of the Mississippi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_...ional_Preserve
Old 12-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #19
TravlinOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Boy View Post
On your way to Tennessee through Alabama, you need to stop at Little River Canyon near Ft. Payne, Alabama right off of I-59. The largest canyon east of the Mississippi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_...ional_Preserve
Thanks. I just bookmarked that link to my "Trips" folder. Next Spring can't come quick enough. Christmas is usually the coldest time of the year in South Florida; we even had some snow here about 20 years ago. We'll be watching for the "Frost-Free" dates moving northward and then we'll be traveling on.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #20
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Hi hjbourge,

I finally got some spare time to answer your questions regarding our experience with the Elkmont trailer. After we got the problem rectified with the caulking on the roof, we are very happy with the unit. This is the fourth TrailManor that we have owned, and the Elkmont has the best fit & finish quality of any of the units. I know the Elkmont isn't a telescoping trailer, but the quality and workmanship in the unit was excellent. We had the factory change several items in the unit when they built it, and we were very happy with what we asked for.

The Elkmont is very tight, and we never had any problems with bugs getting in. The only time was at night when we opened the screen door to get in. We never had to make any adjustments to the screen door so it would fit without any gaps.

Our 3326 King had a lot of storage, but we love all of the extra overhead cabinets, and the storage under the bed when you lift up the mattress. Also, there is outside storage all way across the front of the trailer. The back of the trailer has another huge outside storage area which is directly under the wardrobe in the rear bathroom. Also, we love all of the cabinets in the bathroom for storage.

I have no problems pulling the Elkmont. I have the same sway bar & weight distribution hitch as was on the 3326. The only difference is the 1 to 1.5 miles per gallon less with the Elkmont. Having the luxury of opening up the door without setting it up is great after all of these years. It's great to have the full size refrig and freezer. Also, it's nice to stop at a rest area and use the toilet in the trailer. So the extra gas used is well worth the extra benefits that I have mentioned about the Elkmont.

Ease of set up is great. The hardest part is making sure the unit is level if you happen to get a bad camp site. You have to do this with any trailer so no big deal.

The Coleman 13500 BTU a/c is great. We have camped in high 90's with terrible humidity. The a/c will freeze you out if you leave it on high. Another great thing is the furnace. It's so quiet and has ducts into the bathroom, kitchen, and front bedroom. No more real cold spots like in our 3326 King.

After having the Elkmont, I would never go back to the telescoping TrailManor. As you get older, your needs change. It's great to just unlock the door when you want to get something out of the trailer. I am not putting down the TrailManor since we bought 3 telescoping ones over an 18 year period. It was just time to move on to an easier way.

Hope this helps you out.