TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
foxhaven0

Question Flood damage?

DH and I have been looking for an affordable 2720sl to replace the Aliner we just sold. I found one on Craig's List- a 2006 for $7500 but it says they just recarpeted because of freshwater flood damage and a clear title (whatever that means). I live about 6 hours away from it and wonder what else could be damaged besides the carpet. What do you all think - would I need to worry about mold?
My other choice is a 2002 or 3 (my mind is a sieve) for $9000 with the side ac but much closer to home.
Thanks in advance for any insights.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
brulaz

It's hard to know what else could be wrong with a flood damaged trailer. Definitely mold is a possibility. At the very least you will have to go over it carefully.

Make sure all the electrical, appliances, including brakes, are working properly.
The axle bearing's inspected and repacked if ok.

It's a later model, so not much wood in the frame, but still lots of interior wood and plywood panels, fabrics to check.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:02 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

"Clear title" means that they own it outright - they don't owe anyone (such as a bank or finance company) any money on it. This is a good thing, since it means that when you have bought it from them, you have really bought it - no one is going to come knocking on your door demanding any payment. When you buy it, the Bill of Sale (make sure you get one, signed by the Seller) should contain the phrase "There are no liens on this vehicle."

A side A/C means that it is almost certainly a 2002 model or earlier. My 2002 2720SL had a roof airco, which surprised the dealer when it came off the truck at his dealership. He knew that the change to roof air was coming, but expected mine to have side air when it arrived. There may be a few 2003 models with side air, especially the larger models, but not many.

A "fresh water flood"? What was the source of the water? A broken pipe, an overflowing bathtub? Or an overflowing river? How long did the water sit in the trailer? An hour, or a couple weeks? How deep (inside the trailer) did it get? If the water was more than a couple inches deep, the converter may have taken a hit, although there is a drain near the converter, and the propane detector may have as well.

Wood can be the real problem. As has been pointed out, there is a lot of interior wood in the panelling, shelves, and so forth, and you can inspect all of this. It is visible if you poke around. However, the floor structure is wood framed, and is almost waterproof. If water got down into it - and it surely did if the water sat for more than an hour or so - I don't know how it would get out. And there is no way for you to get into the structure and inspect it. So you would be subject to both mold and wood rot.

When did the flood occur? If it was this summer, for example, then you have not seen the end of things. On the other hand, if it was 5 years ago, the situation may be different. Anything that is going to happen will already have happened.

I personally would pass on a trailer that was seriously flooded. There is just too much possibility of hidden damage. Depending on the severity of the flood, the owners probably got a hefty settlement, if not a total buyout, from their insurance company, and so they should be willing to let it go for next to nothing. Is this the case? Doesn't sound like it.

Just my thoughts, before having my morning coffee.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
However, the floor structure is wood framed, and is almost waterproof. If water got down into it - and it surely did if the water sat for more than an hour or so - I don't know how it would get out.
Bill,

Is this still the case? I know there is a 0.25"? plywood underlay in our 2009 floor, and assumed that the flooded 2006 model was the same. But I didn't know that there was framing and that it was wood.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Wood in the frame of the shells was eliminated in favor of aluminum several years ago. A really good move on TM's part. But I believe that the perimeter of the floor is framed with wood 2x4's. You can see it on the Plant Tour section of the TrailManor.com website. Since the floor is a single assembly, is well-sealed, has no seams like the roof and side panels, and is never expected to get seriously wet, I think this is a perfectly fine way to build. But if it sits in water, and water does soak inside, all of this works against you. It is really hard to get the water out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Actually, Bill, I believe there is still wood in parts of the shells. Or at least that's what we were told when we took the factory tour a few months ago. IIRC, it runs along one of the open edges of the shells, but I cannot where exactly.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

A friend of mine spoke to the owner last week. A year or so ago there was a major flood in the Atlanta area and the owner said it "briefly" floated in a pond. He also said that all damage was repaired...but it scared my friend from driving up to look at it.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

The owners tried to sell on ebay not too long ago. The auction closed with no bids.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
henriettahankenson

Hello all,
I also saw this TM with the "water damage" listed on ebay and sent an email to the owner asking alot of the questions you suggested Bill, and NEVER GOT A RESPONSE.