TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
ProspectiveOwner

Default How much would you pay for this trailmanor ?

Considering buying a 2001 2619 ..... I don't think his asking price is quite low enough for me to bite though .... he is the original owner and it is very used :

standard camper/boat mold on all plastic on outside, needs a good deep cleaning

Door latch is broken (has to duct tape door closed !)
3 decent indented scrapes down side of it exterior along with a few other dents
2 of 4 latches (on the 4 corners) broken off
stains on the drapes
floor very worn and peeling up bad enough to prevent fridge from opening
plastic trim by the "guides" on the bottoom side (under the beds) falling off
side pop up panel missing
lots of little trim pieces on the inside cracked/missing
something wrong with the awning (he mentioned duct tape) that supposedly doesn't prevent it from functioning but is somehow messed up ...i didn't get him to show me that though
tires only 2 years old
estimated times on the road between 60-80
the ac is like a window unit next to the stove (is that standard) and supposedly works along with the heat ...said the pumps work, the fridge works (although he said it can take up to 8 hours to cool off)
all the exterior metal seemed to have a decent amount of rust
1 big positive is it's right down the road from me and I've been looking for a long time

it's not exactly what I was looking for in terms of model/layout/condition, but if the price is right I would go for it and fix it up some.... how much would you offer ?
Old 03-16-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
ProspectiveOwner

window cover on front of trailmanor all cracked and barely hanging on
Old 03-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

You could have a real project on your hands. my biggest concern would be the floor peeling up and all the rust & mold. If the trailer was in a flood (which is what it sounds like), it could have some real serious problems that may or may not be fixable.

That trailer has wood frames between the layers of aluminum. The frames parts on the edges may be replaceable (with a lot of work) but the others are not. The floor is also wood. If you have wood rot in that trailer, it might be a short ride to the dump.

We have a '98 Trailmanor 2720 and we've camped in it 26 times in 2 years. 60-80 trips aren't the issue. It sounds like something bad has happened to this trailer.

The A/C probably is factory. That is where they put it that year. The A/C can be replaced (with a much better unit) fairly easily for under $300. That's not a big deal.

Pictures would be nice but from what you've said, I'd offer him $4000-4500 IF it does not have wood-rot....
Old 03-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I'd go look at it first, and then report back. The fixes might not cost that much, but it depends on what's wrong, and in any case it will take a lot of labor. It sounds like they've let this one go and just beat it up. And with the possibility of being flooded, it could be grim, if the water was in there for a long time. The latches and trim pieces aren't that expensive, but it's more time that you can't spend camping.

It's very common to take a long time for the refrigerator to cool down, especially in warmer climates.

If you can go look at it and get some pictures to share, we might get a better idea of what its condition is.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
flakeyone

I paid $3500 for my 1989 2 years ago but it was all o.k. Except for the drapes. I'm the 3rd owner. Window a/c is great.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
ProspectiveOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
You could have a real project on your hands. my biggest concern would be the floor peeling up and all the rust & mold. If the trailer was in a flood (which is what it sounds like), it could have some real serious problems that may or may not be fixable.

That trailer has wood frames between the layers of aluminum. The frames parts on the edges may be replaceable (with a lot of work) but the others are not. The floor is also wood. If you have wood rot in that trailer, it might be a short ride to the dump.

We have a '98 Trailmanor 2720 and we've camped in it 26 times in 2 years. 60-80 trips aren't the issue. It sounds like something bad has happened to this trailer.

The A/C probably is factory. That is where they put it that year. The A/C can be replaced (with a much better unit) fairly easily for under $300. That's not a big deal.

Pictures would be nice but from what you've said, I'd offer him $4000-4500 IF it does not have wood-rot....
I dont' think it's been flooded, didn't see any sign of wood rot... this is in louisiana so we just have high humidity... i think it spent a lot of time under a tarp ...the floor is just the laminate peeling up around the edges.... there are all these little things but nothing major so it seems ....I'm just afraid my offer would be insulting ...he ask price is 8500 and I kind of want to pay half that
Old 03-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

If the latches are pulled out of the wood that they are screwed into, that might be another indication of wood-rot. If the latches are just "Broken", that's something else. The more I read over your discription, the lower my opinion gets of this trailer.

Get the "date code" on those tires.......somehow....I'm skeptical about the "2 years old" tires.

It's a 3-way fridge......make darn good and sure that it works on propane. That is one expensive fridge......

WE NEED PICTURES........

$8,500??????? surely he's kidding.......you can buy a California or Arizona trailer that has no rust or all the other issues that you mention for that price.

Trust me....that laminate (if it's the factory laminate) does not just peel up around the edges. That suff is very well glued down. I've never seen a TM with peeling (factory) flooring.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
ProspectiveOwner

yes he said it also works on gas...he said butane but I'm sure he meant propane
Old 03-16-2010, 10:25 PM   #9
ProspectiveOwner

oh, and as he was closing the back side, it came out of the tracks a couple times.... common ? hard to fix ? something broken allowing that ?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #10
ProspectiveOwner

how do you go about offering somone nearly 50% of their asking price without offending them ?