TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #31
Scott O

To follow up the previous post, the insurance and related expenses on a trailer are amazingly less than with a motorhome type vehicle. I doubt if living quarters maintenance is much different in a trailer or motorhome, but there are no power plant or drive train issues with a trailer. We are currently "camped" in a delightful park in Paso Robles (Wine Country RV) and getting ready to go out and do some serious wine soaking, I mean wine tasting! The ONLY thing I really miss in our TM is a full sized referigerator...everything else is just dandy!
Old 05-01-2009, 07:49 AM   #32
CowboysFan78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
The TMs bathroom is really among the best. Despite people's fussing the recirculating toilet is a great concept. Once you learn how to charge it properly, it works just fine. Its big advantage is that it does not consume water and stores all its waste. If you are dry camping, you do not have to watch drinking water get consumed on every flush or watch the level in the black water tank. This again saves on weight. The downside is learning how to use the chemicals properly and tank charging.
I'm interested to hear more about the 'tank charging' that you mention. We bought a 2006 3023 early this year and will take our 1st trip on Mother's Day weekend. We are beyond excited! We come from a pop-up with a cassette toilet, so even the concept of having an actual sewer connection is new to us! I hadn't heard the term tank charging, and would love to hear more so we can be prepared.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #33
CowboysFan78

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
The real advantages to the TM is tow-ability and store-ability. If you have room to store a hard-sided trailer and a TV that can handle it, that would certainly be a better choice (IMHO). The $ difference would certainly make up for any fuel savings. You can buy a full sized travel trailer with slide-outs for the price of a TM.
I totally agree, and that is the exact reason that we spent 'full-sized TT money' on a 'folding camper.' It is still saving us money when you consider that we pull it with our Nissan Quest van, which we'd have with or without a camper. There isn't any need for us to get a big truck to pull a big TT. I think the TM is a wonderful option in this scenario!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #34
4Kids2Dogs

Quote:
I'm interested to hear more about the 'tank charging' that you mention. We bought a 2006 3023 early this year and will take our 1st trip on Mother's Day weekend. We are beyond excited! We come from a pop-up with a cassette toilet, so even the concept of having an actual sewer connection is new to us! I hadn't heard the term tank charging, and would love to hear more so we can be prepared.
Hi there! FYI, there are tons of posts about the commode...just search "Thetford" (the brand name) and you will get lots of hits, including this great post from Bill: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...light=thetford

We have young kids, too, ages 10, 6, 5 & 2, so having working facilities is a definite "luxury" after tent camping!! I'm sure you will have a great summer!
1995 Ford F-150 w/Prodigy BC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
4Kids2Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:42 AM   #35
CowboysFan78

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Kids2Dogs View Post
Hi there! FYI, there are tons of posts about the commode...just search "Thetford" (the brand name) and you will get lots of hits, including this great post from Bill: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...light=thetford

We have young kids, too, ages 10, 6, 5 & 2, so having working facilities is a definite "luxury" after tent camping!! I'm sure you will have a great summer!

Awesome...what a great post by Bill! I've printed it out to read (and read again) and take along on our 1st voyage!!
Old 05-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #36
Al-n-Sue

Default Not as mysterious as it sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysFan78 View Post
I'm interested to hear more about the 'tank charging' that you mention. ...... I hadn't heard the term tank charging, and would love to hear more so we can be prepared.
We also came from a popup with a cassette toilet, so I was a little worried because I didn't understand the recirculating concept either. But we camp with 3 other TM owners, and I thought if they can do it, so can I!

Actually, "charging" is simply the task of putting chemicals in the toilet and filling it with water until it reaches the "charge level" on the gauge. That's it. You're done! The gauge then shows you how full the toilet becomes. The "charge level" is the level where the pump will begin to pump water.

We've had our TM for a year now (3rd owner) and the toilet has been trouble free from the beginning.

We're going out Mother's day as well - but it will be our 2nd this season!

Enjoy.
Alan
Old 05-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #37
photoadjuster

Default Recommendation

Word to the wise.

Do not add chemical until the new water has been in the toilet for a couple of hours. The reason is occasionally something gets in the shutoff valve and the water leaks out. Just fill with water and wait. If the pump still circulates water, you know there is no leak and you will never waste a bottle of chemical. If it should leak out, just cycle the valve a few times to clear out whatever is causing it to seep.

Been living in my TM for the last 6 months. Wasted a bottle of chemical several times until it dawned on me not to add the chemical for a while.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #38
ng2951

Neat tip, but I have not had that problem. But its a good one to have in your quiver...
Old 05-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #39
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsbrat View Post
After screening all kinds of trailers and motorhomes, the TM seemed the best for us -- on paper. However, on visiting the dealer and checking them out I must admit I was less than impressed. The finishings seemed cheap, the seals at the seams did not seem robust, and they were much smaller inside than I'd anticipated. At every turn, it seemed like it wouldn't stand up to much use. I was hoping it was a collapsing travel trailer, rather than a hard sided popup, if you get the difference.

Because this is an enthusiast forum, you guys know the good points and the bad points and how easy the compromises are to live with. So, please, convince me I'm wrong. Really. I'd kinda like to be wrong because it would save me about $50K.
Pittsbrat,
I know what you mean, but as everyone is saying, you really need to decided for yourself if the TM is right for what you want to do.
My wife and I have been to several RV shows pondering this same question. We usually start with the TM's, and then do the entire show. Inevitably, we always find ourselves back at the TMs at the end of the day. Each time we both agree that the TM is the right "tool" for us.
We too have some reservations about the TM for various reasons, but some things out weigh others, so it's the overall package that must be considered.

Things like TV, storage of trailer, how many in the party, how long will you travel/stay, terrain, etc, are all things that should be considered.
As someone has already said, there are compromises with each type, brand, etc.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #40
PopBeavers

Just as an example, carpet looks really upscale, but it is not very practical for the way we camp. I would never want carpet.

I require something that is really easy to keep clean.

The cheap that you are referring to is not in the appliances. The appliances are actually pretty good.

Perhaps what you want is a marble floor, granite counters, etc. all of which are not at all practical. At least no in a light weight trailer that will spend at least some of its time getting towed on dirt roads.