TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2008, 01:28 AM   #1
inthepink

Default Are you happy with your TrailManor?

Hi there,
I am considering buying a TM and I started to browse these threads a little bit. I know that most people must be happy with theirs to be on these threads, but I can't help but to have noticed a lot of comments about things like leaks and cold air coming in where there are gaps in trailer and very uncomfortable beds/mattresses. Which leads me to wonder...

Are you really happy with your TrailManor?

Would you suggest that someone buy a Trailmanor?

Do you feel that Trailmanor's have problems/challenges particular to TrailManor's that are difficult to resolve (leaks, etc.)

Anyone who has had a TrailManor and a "traditional" trailer who can give comparisons?

Thank you,
Rae-Ann
Old 05-29-2008, 06:50 AM   #2
LittleRhodey

Default We'd buy ours again in a moment

Although you will find all sorts of comments about problems, my feeling is that we are sharing work arounds and solutions to things that are bothering us, like any homeowner. We want our TM to be personalized to exactly how we like it. And some of us are more fussy than others. But we love our TM!

We have been owners for about 6 weeks and have been out camping three times already, in addition to the time we use it in our driveway to acclimate ourselves to all the systems and features. The bed was not as comfortable as our $1000 softsided waterbed but we have added a pillow topper and now are quite happy. The shower curtains added too much fabric to the shower experience, but we have added two walls worth of velcroed clear plastic shower curtain and I love it. The tiny gaps between the walls and the mattress create cold on frigid nights but we covered them and were cozy and warm.

The benefits far outweigh any problems. A 3 way refrigerator that freezes ice cubes and holds lots more than it looks like it might. 2 water heaters that both work very well for all needs. Beds that can be left where they are and not folded up or stowed each day. Storage for all the things we like to bring along with no suitcases or extraneous baggage. A great oven for baking goodies on the road. One of my best memories was camping in a tent but visiting my grandmother's camper for something scrumptious whose scent was wafting through the campground from her oven. Now I can do that!

I read the forum almost daily for hints and ideas and support since the time we began to think about buying a TM, but through it all, I think I have only read one post that stated that they would not have bought the TM. One post from many thousand I have read. That's quite a resounding endorsement!

Ask your questions in the prospective owners section of the forum. You'll get your answers today or tomorrow. And when you make up your mind to join us as an owner, we'll help you make it just like you want it.

Good luck!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:35 AM   #3
Joseph

Default More or less, yes!

More or less... a resounding YES! Especially with the price of gas lately.

Would you suggest that someone buy a TrailManor?

Yes.

Do you feel that Trailmanor's have problems/challenges particular to TrailManor's that are difficult to resolve (leaks, etc.)

TM's are unique. The is no other TT on the market that does what it can do.
By definition the problems are unique but are not major nor hard to effect repair of. Mine had never leaked nor has it had any problem unique to the design. Had the outside shower hose crack. My bad on that one. Replaced it no problem with parts from Adam at TM. LOL

Anyone who has had a TrailManor and a "traditional" trailer who can give comparisons?

Only had a pop up before the TM. The TM is light years ahead of the pop-up IMHO. It is not as " rough and tumble " as the pop up was, but heck, neither am I anymore!.. Small price to pay for solid walls that fold down IMO.

Think about what you want from a TT. Good luck with you search!
Old 05-29-2008, 09:15 AM   #4
Scott O

On a forum like this you may think there is too much negative so there is a problem with the TM. But the nature of the beast is we are asking for advice in improving or fixing relative minor things. There are some clever people on this forum. There are no fatal flaws or really big problems with the TM. Many of the issues are regarding TMs purchased used that may not have had good care. You store anything outside and bang it around for 10 years and there will be problems. These issues have nothing to do with the design or construction of the TM.

We purchased ours new and thoroughly enjoy it. Had a couple of minor problems, both of which were not specific to the TM design...could have occurred on any RV. Bottom line; is the TM better than a full size trailer? Nope, if you are not concerned with towing size, storage, or gas. If you have lots of $$$, a full sized trailer is probably easier to use once you get to your destination. But if you need to tow with your existing vehicle and operating expenses are a concern, nothing does it as well as a TM. We would buy another in a heartbeat!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
ng2951

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepink View Post
...comments about things like leaks and cold air coming in where there are gaps in trailer and very uncomfortable beds/mattresses...
Yes it has its gaps and if I were using out on the frozen tundra I might have to do a little adjusting to get it right as far as gaps go.

On the bed issues, most of those center around some of the smaller beds in TMs with the large living rooms. I think those are mostly understood and only rear their head when children become adults.

Quote:
Yes, very much so. When I tell someone I have a 33' trailer and I get 16-18mpg pulling it behind my V6 Tacoma they are amazed.

I hate just talking about the bathroom, but when you look at most popups, the bathrooms really look like bathroom with a vinyl curtain around it. You would be pretty hard to please to not be happy with a TM bathroom as far as TT of its size go.

The only thing close are the larger Hi-Los, but some of them weigh in loaded at 6,000 lbs.

Quote:
Would you suggest that someone buy a Trailmanor?
That would depend on the mission they have planned. If they don't care about the fuel bite (for example they own a large diesel tow rig) they are not gaining much advantage with a TM. If they want a toy hauler, or a 5th wheel type the TM is not for them.

Of course, if you are operating a gas fueled TV a TM is a heck of TT. Because of its construction TM put lots of windows in it. The use of ligher interior colors makes the TM look and feel more open. Add to that the low profile and lightweight you have a gas efficient TT.

Quote:
Problems particular too the TM the answer is certainly yes. More difficult to resolve the answer is no. Using this forum and a good RV dealership or repair shop I believe any of the problems are resolvable.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
Queeniereads

WE had a pop-up, then a travel trailer, now a trailmanor. We are way past a pop-up even though we had a nice one. We were isn a terrible accident in Idaho with our travel trailer and wanted something that tows small but gives us space and confort. It takes us no more than 15 minutes to set up or tear down on a good day -- 30 mins if we poke around a bit. Hubby does outside and I do inside. ANd , voila, we have a travel trailer that arrived using up only 2 mph of gas over our non-towing mode. Everyone modifies the TM -- we added a recliner and Select Comfort beds to our 3124KS. Hubby added a nice sewer connection piece that you can see thru. We have nice towel bars in the bathroom that disassemble and a great shoebag for clothies in the wardrobe. But, we are quite pleased with our TM and have no plans on trading it at this point. Are we happy with i? YES! Queen
Old 05-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
Shandysplace

Default Well Said All

We purchased our '08 3326 last December and couldn't be more pleased. We're not nearly as 'do-it-yourself' savvy as most TMers, so having a dealer with a good service dept. made the difference for us. Whatever problems we've had were minor and could largely be chalked up to our inexperience (never owned any kind of RV before).

TMs seem to be in a constant state of improvement. Our bed is completely sealed to the outside, so the drafts others refer to in older models are not evident in ours.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
inthepink

I really appreciate hearing all of this. Now I have anothere question. Mayb I should post a new thread, but I will try here first.

I just learned about the toilet. Honestly, it sounds kinda.... I'll say "yucky" for lack of a better word but maybe I am just ill-informed. It flushes with waste water? Can you please expand on this? I mean, it sounds gross, but I am assuming that it must not be as bad as it sounds or else everyone wouldn't love TM so much. Is the water that it flushes with brownish? Does it smell bad? Is it hard to dump the toilet? It is at cassette type toilet or do you hook something up to something else to dump it?

Thank you,
Rae-Ann
Old 05-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #9
tharris30

Default The TM design is genious. Delighted new owner.

We just bought a 2008 2720SL (Super Love) after owning one of the "A" frame pop-ups. I couldn't get my wife to go anywhere in the "A" but now she never wants to go home from our camping expetitions. We travel with a Rottweiler and a large ragdoll cat (18#) so we did needed more space. I agree that the beds are the weak point of the trailer but foam topper pads make them excellent sleepers. There is so much floor space that the "Princess", da dog, has plenty of floor space for her cushy bed. The cat loves all of the padded ledges that are at window viewing height and never stops prowling.

The galley is total and well laid out and has everything that a portable home could want. The refrigerator is extremely efficient and will freeze things in the lower compartment if set too cold.

The bathroom is a bit small but them I am 270#, 6'2 so what can I expect. It works for me and it is not where I spend most of my time when camping. The shower curtain is way too long and takes up a lot of space making the shower seem small. Cutting it shorter, but not too short, helps a lot with the small-shower-syndrome.

With what is happening with $$gas$$, I am delighted that I didn't take advantage of the great deals that are out there on motorhomes, even class C. My TM takes approximately 2 mpg off my normal mileage of 16 mpg (Jeep Grand Cherokee AWD w/HEMI) - erh! erh! erh. The Jeep doesn't even know that the TM is behind it and I have virtually no tow limits - off road, mountains, wet weather.

At 67 y.o. it took some getting used to during setup. But now, I can do it single handed in about ten minutes. Unhitch, level, power, water, assemble interior, pour a drink. Ready!! I am an inovator-futzer and the TM is quite a challenge to improve but is fun to work with.

I do recommend it if camping $$$ are limited but your partner still requires luxury away from home. WE even have HDTV, while out camping??? Go figure.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
PopBeavers

We took delivery of our 2005 TM 2720 in April 2005. We have used it around 20 trips, mostly weekends.

I had one serious warranty issue. A crack developed in the frame. This was repaired an I believe it was my problem that resulted in a design change at the factory for TMs with a factory installed swing tongue.

The front bed was slightly off level. This was corrected by the dealer.

I was getting a draft through the seal between the upper rear shell and the bottom shell, behind the closet. I drilled a new hole in the bracket to bring the upper shell in a little tighter and that solved the problem.

Due to my mistake, there are three places where the laminate (Formica) has chipped on the sides of the counter tops. I will replace two pieces of laminate when I get around to it.

My fridge failed after six months. It would not stay lit on propane. This was repaired by the dealer. Norcold has a service bulletin for this know problem. This is not a TM issue.

I have added three drawers to the cabinet under the microwave drawer to make it easier to use. This resulted in a modest decrease in storage capacity.

I have one screw for the door frame for the water heater that wiggles loose. I tighten in once a year. I should add some caulk to solve that problem.

Otherwise it is flawless. I have no complaints. I frequently read posts at www.rv.net, another website that is not specific to any trailer, and many people over there have far more problems than I have ever had.