TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
Mountain Man

Question Any Rust Issues?

I live in the Kansas City area and am thinking about a Trail Manor. I visited the dealer in Phillipsburg, Missouri today and they had four on their lot. They had received them in December and all of them had a significant amount of rust already appearing on the frame and metal areas on the lower portion of the trailer. When I brought this up to the dealer, they guessed that since the trailers were delivered in December, they were exposed to road salt during the transportation from the manufacturer. They said they would brush out the rust and repaint the areas of concern. From my days back in the Navy, I have always thought that rust was undesirable, and was wondering if rust is an issue with all Trail Manor trailers, or just an isolated case with the four I saw on this lot. By the way, the dealer was very friendly, and handled a variety of travel trailers, fifth wheels, and pop-ups, along with Trail Manor.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:04 AM   #2
2blueranger
Site Sponsor

I've owned my 3124ks for 3 years and have not had any rust issues on the frame. I have a couple of small spots where my wdh rubs the frame. Some of the campers I've owned in the past I have had to repaint places on the frame though.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
Joseph

Default No rust to speak off . . .

Hello Mountain Man,

Not sure by what you mean when you say significant rust, but my TM had very minimal rust spots. Just a few spots on the torsion bars and the metal frames that support them. Most smaller than a dime. The dealer brushed and repainted same. All of the spots together would not cover the area of a dollar bill. So far no rust returning. Good luck with your new purchase and Happy Camping.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Mountain Man

For clarification, when I used the term "significant amount of rust", I meant that it was in many diffierent places along the lower portions of the trailer. No single spot was of large size, but there were signs of it all over. Various parts of the frame, propane tanks, propane tank holders, entry steps, bottoms of the lifting mechanisms and latches. In general, I would not have expected to see any rust at all on a brand new trailer.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
Joseph

Thumbs down More rust . . .

Ok...

With rust that scattered, even on the propane tanks, I think I would pass. Mine did not have that much. And if it did I would not have purchased it. As much as I like the TM they are a bit pricey, and for that much money I will take mine without the rust! I would have purchased another TM without rust. My opinion is based more on how I want to be treated when doing business than structural damage if you know what I mean.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Rust

All of my RV's have had some cosmetic problems with rust on the frames and undercarriage, including my 2005 TrailManor. Once a year, I spray any developing rust spots with gloss black (or white, where appropriate) Rustoleum, and that takes care of it for the next few years. Obviously, you'd want to mask any area behind what you're going to paint with masking tape and newspaper before you do any painting.

The propane tanks are easily detached, so touching them up with white paint would be easier if you removed them first than trying to mask the black parts of the hitch area around them.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
alexcua

Default Rust Spots and Bolts

I just got my 2003 2720SL last week and I spent a couple hours each day fixing it up. My leveling jacks have surface rust and so are all the galvanized bolts and metal around those bolts.

I went to Home Depot to get a rust converter and treated the rust. Since I sell roof coatings, I decided to do an experiment with my Butyl rubber coating. I will be coating the bolts and it should keep those parts from rusting again. The coating itself is more than 500% elastic and is a true vapor barrier so any existing rust will be suffocated. I will keep everyone informed on the outcome of these tests.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #8
RogerR

Rock nicks from gravel roads started my 2005 rusting in spots. I picked up a mini-sandblaster and cleaned off the rust, Rustoleum primer and paint cured them and they haven't come back after 2 years.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
CharJack

Rust I had on 07 2720 was minimal; mostly at bolts and screws; seems like stainless would be better. But the staples under the seals rust alot but we had had no problem with them giving way when we traded it in on our 09.
I agree, if there is rust scattered all over, be hesitant, it could be traveling uner the paint I would think. And it seems like the dealer would have washed all that road salt off when they got to lot, even if he just THOUGHT there may have been salt on roads. My gut feeling is if he doesn't cover his own tail.............
Old 11-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #10
P and B

Most of the screws on RVs have painted heads and will rust since the screw drivers will nearly always nick the paint. I had good luck just painting all the screw heads with clear nail polish.

Phil