TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
LizarooK

Talking San Jose to Tucson May 10,2010

Hi all,
DH and I are planning a trip to Tucson to pick up our daughter from school this May. We would like to leave the week before and visit Las Vegas, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon and Sedona. We need to camp 2 nights in Tucson. Our plan is to take two days to drive back.
We would like some recommendations on where to stay along the way, and any suggestions you may have. This will be our first long trip in the TM.
Thanks, Liz K
Old 03-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Hey Liz,

I can't help you with Las Vegas (wouldn't give you a nickel for anything within 100 miles of it) but we lived in Flagstaff for 23 years and might be able to help near there.

First, if you want to stay at the canyon or Sedona, I would suggest you make your reservations NOW. The campground at the canyon is ok, not exactly looking into the Grand Canyon but you can hike to it.

We recently stayed at Rancho Sedona and thought it was great. It has none of the crazy, touristy feel of Sedona (at least not this time of year). If you want the touristy stuff, it's not far away.

There are a couple of state parks between Flagstaff and Sedona that we dearly love if you are interested in dry camping. We have other ideas if you have trouble getting reservations.

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There is a very good KOA in Flagstaff, on Rte 89 just north of where I-17 and I-40 come together. Nice sites in the woods.

In Sedona, there is Rancho Sedona on Schnebly Hill Rd just off Rte 179. It is pretty good, and quiet - especially if you can get one of the "honeymoon sites". Malinda mentioned this one, and we seem to agree.

In Tucson, the Voyager RV Resort is good and very upscale, but fairly far south of town. Another very good choice is the RV Resort at Picacho Peak, but it is 50 miles north of Tucson. Also at Picacho is the state park. It may be closed by then, but if it is still open, and if you are into dry camping, it is nice. Let us know if you climb to the top of the Peak - I've done it once, and I can tell you - wear gloves!

No experience with the south rim of the Grand Canyon. However, there was a recent thread about GC-area campgrounds - a quick Search will turn it up.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:37 AM   #4
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default In Tucson....

.... Western Way RV Resort. 1/4 mile from the entrance to Tucson Mountain Park, which leads directly to the Saguaro National Monument Park (West). Also 4 miles to the Desert Wildlife Museum.

If you have a pet, site # 32 faces the pet gate which leads directly into a pretty fine example of the plush Sonoran Desert. My pup loves the desert.

My bride and pup and I are departing in 3 days after spending 3 months here. We're returning next winter. Google Map 3100 S. Kinney Rd., Tucson, AZ 85713. It's West of the Tucson mountains while still being an easy drive into Tuscon.

Denny_A
[2009 Keystone 35 CKQ Challenger]
Old 04-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Bluegrass

In Las Vegas, we've now stayed in several places. Liked Oasis Las Vegas RV Resort the best. It has easy access to the strip without being right on it. Also has nice amenities. http://www.oasislasvegasrvresort.com/ It is a little more expensive than those on Boulder Highway but it is much nicer and more convenient.

Be aware that crossing Hoover Dam with a trailer requires a security inspection of the trailer that can take some time when the line gets long. Not a problem but just allow for the wait. Mornings are best.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Denny! Nice to hear from you. For those who are relatively new to the group, Denny was one of the board's founders, back in 2002. Along with RockyMtnRay, Texas_Camper, and me, Denny went through the agonizing process of defining the group as we know it today, getting it organized, moving thousands of posts into their new locations, and moderating the group as it settled into its current form. Glad to see you are still with us, Denny.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
Scott O

Couple of things. Don't know what progress is on the new bridge across Black Canyon below Hoover Dam, but if finished should avoid the crush across the dam. Also, if you have an extra day or two, the train ride to the Grand Canyon from Williams is not to be missed. And they have a nice campground in conjunction with the train operation also. Lastly, the road down to Sedona from Williams is hugely steep and I wouldn't do it with a trailer. There is an alternate way which will get you there...a little longer but seemingly safer.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

The road between Flagstaff and Sedona that you are referring to is Oak Creek Canyon. I understand your concerns but I would take that risk ANY DAY. It is gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. We were so bummed that we couldn't go up that way at the end of our trip but it was closed because of rock slides. It is two-lane switch backs (sign me up!) but so worth it! On a map it is 89A. In my world, heaven. There are a couple of great state parks along the way.

Malinda
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #9
Scott O

We went down 89A from Flagstaff in our TV last December and you are correct, it is gorgeous. I would not hesitate going UP the canyon any time. But for me, it would be foolhardy to go down the hill pulling (or being pushed by) my trailer. I would take 17 down and then go back up 179. Better safe than sorry...
Old 04-03-2010, 07:17 AM   #10
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

I hear what you are saying but I have driven that road hundreds of times and have seen everything short of 747s going both up and down. I'm not saying they all made sense . . . We all have to decide what we are comfortable with.

Malinda
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]