TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
fourteener

Default Kitchen Sink pressure on cold side

I have great water pressure throughout my entire TM (both pump and city connections), but I'm experiencing a loss of pressure on the cold water side of the kitchen sink. Has anyone had this problem, and does anyone know of a solution?
fourteener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Almost certainly there is grit in the faucet aerator. Unscrew the ring at the tip end of the faucet. Inside there is a screen. The screen probably has "sand" in it (for want of a better word). Clean out the sand, reinstall, and you should be good to go. Let us know.

BTW, if this is true, you should also be experiencing pressure loss in the hot water side of the kitchen sink (assuming you have a single-spigot sink). If the hot water side is good but the cold has lost pressure, then the grit is a bit further back, in the valve. Again, let us know - we can help.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
fourteener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Almost certainly there is grit in the faucet aerator. Unscrew the ring at the tip end of the faucet. Inside there is a screen. The screen probably has "sand" in it (for want of a better word). Clean out the sand, reinstall, and you should be good to go. Let us know.

BTW, if this is true, you should also be experiencing pressure loss in the hot water side of the kitchen sink (assuming you have a single-spigot sink). If the hot water side is good but the cold has lost pressure, then the grit is a bit further back, in the valve. Again, let us know - we can help.

Bill
I did already checked the screen on the end of the faucet, and yes, I too was hoping it was going to be that easy. It is truly only on the cold side. Can you tell me how to clean the valve? Can this be done from the 'top side'. I attempted to pulled the handle (after loosening the allen type set screw), and couldn't get the handle off,,,,,,,any hints,,,,,,,and maybe I simply wasn't being mean enough? I rinsed my water heater last year, and was amazed at the volume of crud I removed, so if it was on the hot side I would understand.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

OK, I'm doing this from memory, so others will step in to correct me where I'm wrong.

Turn off the source of pressure - the water pump, or the connection to the city water system. Then, at the cold water faucet handle, pry up and remove the decorative escutcheon with the letter "C" on it. Underneath you should see the head of a Phillips screw. Remove the screw, and you should be able to pull up and remove the knob. Now you will see a metal shaft with a hex nut on the outside. Unscrew the hex nut, and you should be able to remove the valve core. Don't lose any washers or rubber seals as you remove it! Peer down into the opening, and see if you see grit. If so, remove it. Check the openings in the valve core itself for grit, too.

At this point, it may help to crack open the source of pressure, and flush some fresh water through the valve housing. This will be messy and uncontrolled, so have some rags or paper towels in hand as you do it. This will flush out any grit in the pipe and the valve housing.

Reassemble.

Having said all this, I think it would be worthwhile to FIRST go under the sink and see if the (plastic) cold water pipe has been folded or pinched or crushed in any way.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
fourteener

Bill - Thanks, as I'm relieved that I can do this top side of the sink. Apparently, I simply wasn't persistent enough when I tried towards the end of last season. As soon as our Colorado snow melts, I'll drag her out and see if I can figure this out. Thanks Again!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
fourteener

Bill,
I just wanted to say thanks, as I was able to remove the cold water handle/cartridge and run some water through it to clean out what ever was causing the restriction (never really found the grit). Although, once it was put together, it is working like a charm. I would warn anyone attempting this to have the strainer in place, as I almost lost the small rubber grommet type washer and the spring that's in the bottom.
Seriously Thanks, as you made this very easy.
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Upgrades - Lift Kit with 15" Tires/Rims/Spare & Rack,
Mud Flaps, Blue Tote Caddy, WDH Bar Holders,
Custom Outside/Chassis-mounted Tool Box,
Stove Cover, Bathroom Tension Self,
Outside Speakers, Fresh H2O Deck Plate,
100 Watt Portable Solar Panel, Shower Mod,
Over-wall TV mount - - (The fun never ends :-)