TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2004, 03:17 PM   #1
quacks

Default Nice base in north Idaho

For those seeking a comfortable, convenient place to set up while exploring beautiful Northern Idaho and the Spokane, WA area, I recommend SunTree RV Park in Post Falls, ID.

It is right off the freeway, with gas (cheapest for miles!) propane, restaurant, fast food all next door, and an outlet mall less than a mile away. The park has full hookups (beware, the electric hookup is WAY off to the driver's side- essentially in the next site!), clean showers (for those of us too tall to enjoy a shower in the TM), and a decent swimming pool.

That said, this park is NOT your typical barren paved nightmare. The sites are gravel but pretty level, and there are trees, trees, and more trees everywhere. Our sites have been under a canopy of maples and evergreens, and though the sites are not all that wide, they are really quite comfortable. There are nice views of the surrounding mountains, and we have been treated to spectacularly beautiful thunderstorms (much to the chagrin of one of the dogs).

The campground is located minutes from the Washington border and the bustling "Inland Empire," anchored by the city of Spokane. Spokane hosts the Bloomsday run, one of the largest competitive running events in the country, as well as the Lilac Festival and parade, and HoopFest (just this past weekend) is an enormous 3-on-3 basketball tournament played in the downtown streets. Spokane also has the usual shopping/dining fun of a medium sized city, with unique stores in an old flour mill and tasty microbrews. I highly recommend the Downriver Grill (3315 W. Northwest Blvd, 509-323-1600; see http://www.inlander.com/food/286355045092501.php for a preview), which is very convenient after a nice round of golf at the Downriver course. (Never mind that my niece's boyfriend owns it...).

The beauties of Northern Idaho await as well - from (again) wonderful shops & dining a few minutes away in Couer D'Alene, ID to the wonders of Lake Couer D'Alene itself. A little further north is Lake Pend Oreille, a lake so deep the Navy trained submariners there around WWII, with plenty of wild natural beauty, and the engaging town of Sandpoint on its shores. A quick drive from Sandpoint up into the mountains brings you to Schweitzer Ski area, which is very well-developed with shops, restaurants, etc but also unbelievable views, hiking, and mountain biking.

Anyone planning a trip to this corner of the world would find plenty to enjoy, from rugged outdoors to refined dining. I think the Suntree RV Park is one of the best "base camps" I've found for exploring a region - very comfortable and pretty, with the basics available easily.

Although I sound like an advertisement ( ), the truth is I grew up in Spokane and it is a wonderful area to visit (I just don't want to live there!).

Suntree RV Park, 401 Idahline, Post Falls, ID 208-773-9982. Mike is a very nice guy, to boot!