TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > For Sale Section > TrailManors Wanted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2021, 06:04 PM
Site Sponsor

Here's a thought:
Rangeland RV just outside Calgary has the following for sale:
https://www.rangelandrv.com/inv/2021...View-AB-11738/

It's not a Trailmanor, but it is a pop up that weighs close to the 2720. If you can two this EMPTY, that would be equivalent to towing a 2417 lightly loaded. Remember, you plan to add 100 lbs of bike, 50 lbs for propane with tanks, 300 lbs fresh water if you need it boondocking, your own gear, food, clothes, etc. This will add AT LEAST 500 lbs right away to a 2500 lb 2417.

See if you can try it out for a day (perhaps rent if necessary?) and feel how it tows into the Rockies.

Honestly, I think this is the best way for you to make this decision.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Old 05-28-2021, 07:21 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
Here's a thought:

Rangeland RV just outside Calgary has the following for sale:

https://www.rangelandrv.com/inv/2021...View-AB-11738/

It's not a Trailmanor, but it is a pop up that weighs close to the 2720. If you can two this EMPTY, that would be equivalent to towing a 2417 lightly loaded. Remember, you plan to add 100 lbs of bike, 50 lbs for propane with tanks, 300 lbs fresh water if you need it boondocking, your own gear, food, clothes, etc. This will add AT LEAST 500 lbs right away to a 2500 lb 2417.

See if you can try it out for a day (perhaps rent if necessary?) and feel how it tows into the Rockies.

Honestly, I think this is the best way for you to make this decision.
Larry. That is a great idea and I appreciate your comments on how much weight to allow for extra contents. The first thing I need to figure is who to get to install the wiring for the Bargman connector, or is that something I could reasonably do myself? I'm fairly handy.

Both of your comments regarding vehicles has been helpful.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2021, 10:38 PM
Site Sponsor

Just an update where I'm at. After reviewing some posts I'm thinking of ordering a CURT 51180 Echo Mobile Electric Trailer Brake Controller. This seems like an easy to install controller and since it's wireless I can use it in my next vehicle if I should decide to upgrade.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07JQ99SDD/...FRYM61BQ0N6JS6

I do have to install a 7 pin connector to my Sorrento. I found the following post helpful. Since I already have a 4 pin connector it shouldn't be too difficult. All I need to do is run a wire to the battery.

https://www.kiatelluride.org/threads...rying-to.1611/

After that's done I plan to try and tow a tent trailer such as the one Larry suggested. If all goes well I hope to join your community.

Old 05-30-2021, 10:54 AM
Site Sponsor

If you only had to run a battery wire to convert a 4 pin connector, wouldn’t that then be a 5 pin connector? You also need to add brake control (usually tied in to 3rd brake light circuit) and I guess reverse wire is iptional if your trailer doesn’t have reverse lights...
2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab EcoDiesel

2000 2720SL (Rebuild Project)

SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Old 05-30-2021, 02:46 PM

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If I understand the Curt 51180 gizmo correctly, you must provide a wire from the truck battery to the Bargman 7-pin connector. Voltage on that wire will charge the TM battery as it does now. In addition, the Curt device has a built-in brake controller, which will use the voltage on that battery wire to "manufacture" brake control voltage on the proper Bargman pin. The idea is that you don't have to buy or install a conventional brake controller up at the dashboard, and you don't have to run a brake wire to the Bargman.

If I have the concept right, there seems nothing wrong with it, though it might be noted that as long as you have to run a new 12-volt wire, it is not hard to run a brake wire at the same time.

"Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer choice."

Bill
Old 05-30-2021, 03:03 PM

I'm not sure what happens if you plug the Curt device into another vehicle whose Bargman already has brake voltage coming from a conventional brake controller. My guess is it's a case of "Don't do that!"

Bill
Old 05-30-2021, 03:09 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
If you only had to run a battery wire to convert a 4 pin connector, wouldn’t that then be a 5 pin connector? You also need to add brake control (usually tied in to 3rd brake light circuit) and I guess reverse wire is iptional if your trailer doesn’t have reverse lights...
Thanks for your comments. The brake controller I'm looking at is wireless, which means this brake controller plugs into the TV 7 pin connector and the trailer connector plugs directly into the 7 pin output from this brake controller. Therefore the brake control wire on the TV connector isn't required. This also means I don't have to install or wire a brake controller into the dash which makes life a lot easier. And, as you mentioned, the reverse wire is optional. So only 5 of the TV connector's 7 pins are used. I hope I got this right.

This also means I should be able to easily use this brake controller in a new vehicle if I find my TV too small and/or want a large TM.

Old 05-30-2021, 03:12 PM
Site Sponsor

I wrote my response before reading Bill's . Thanks Bill.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:52 AM

There is a new thread about the Curt device at

https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ad.php?t=20476

I hesitate to combine the threads, because this thread started with a different topic and morphed. It is already quite long.

Bill
Old 06-02-2021, 12:03 PM
Site Sponsor

Yeah I did some homework on this Curt thing. It uses the input from both turn/brake lights simultaneously activated to let it know it should be braking instead of a dedicated brake input. Typical brake controller uses an input from the tow vehicle’s third brake light or brake pedal position sensor.
2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab EcoDiesel

2000 2720SL (Rebuild Project)

SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!