TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2020, 07:33 AM   #1
prodesign

Default Trailmanor 2922 length question

Hey guys...

Shopping for a new unit and my wife is wanting the 2922... issue is the overall length when the break away hitch is back. We are deed restricted so it has to go in the garage. I know the site calls out 22' closed and the break away hitch says take away 2 feet... that says it is 20 feet. it seems there is some shorter lengths and heights from posts i've read vs. what is published on their site. assuming they are using approximate numbers for things. just wondering if anyone has a spot on length as i'm splitting hairs for length in the garage!

then the next option (if too long) is the rear bumper bolted on or able to remove? or is it something a machine shop could cut and move a few inches in if necessary? just spit balling ideas if it's too long.

thanks in advance for any info!
prodesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:04 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I have not actually laid hands on a 2922, so take this with a grain of salt, based on my experience with 3 swing-hitch 2720s.

I don't think I've seen anything about an overall length shorter than 20 feet with the hitch moved aside. Based on my experience, it might even be a half inch or inch longer. If that is a make-or-break amount, you are right - you need an actual measurement.

A somewhat drastic approach is to buy a 2922 with a standard (non-swing) hitch. Find a welder who will take off a section of the trailer's A-frame, just a bit longer than the factory takes off. Then he will fabricate a swing hitch that is a little deeper than the factory's 2 feet, and mount it on the cut ends. At least one of our member did this - not specifically to change the trailer's overall length, but to enable him to buy an attractive non-folding used unit. You can find his story with careful use of the Search tool.

The rear bumper is not bolted on. It is welded. I imagine you could find a welder who would take it off, shorten the frame members a couple inches, and put it back on. As long as you don't take off too much - don't cut it shorter than the body of the rear shell above it - I don't see a big problem here.

A different possibility might be to modify the back wall of the garage, to create a niche in the wall that would let you back the TM in just a couple inches more. The depth of the niche would have to be small, because you can't have it intrude into the interior of the house behind the niche. If the wall is framed with 2x6's, this ought to work reasonably simply. If it is older, and framed with 2x4s, it might be tougher, but maybe still do-able. A carpenter could take off the drywall (that's 5/8 inch right there!), remove the bottom 2 (or so) feet of the studs - or leave them in place but cut them narrower - then put in a support beam under the cut ends, and cover the modified studs with some code-acceptable wall covering to replace the drywall with something thinner. You might need a structural engineer to oversee this change, and the permit process, if any, could be involved.

Did you ask about height? That question usually refers to the height of the open garage door, and is an easier issue to deal with.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:13 AM   #3
prodesign

yeah i was worried about the length not working... figured i'd give the manufacturer a call when they open and see if they have some insight too!

it's funny you mention the cutting the wall and make a pocket! lol i was brainstorming last night and was thinking something along the same lines! not sure i would go that length to make it fit vs just dropping down to the 2720!

the height i think is good. i already used some of your expertise on the height calculation from some of you previous posts so thanks for that!

-J
Old 09-14-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
It's funny you mention the cutting the wall and make a pocket! lol i was brainstorming last night and was thinking something along the same lines!
The problem with this approach is that you have to be INCREDIBLY CAREFUL about how you back the TM in. If the TM even taps the back wall of the pocket, it will break the drywall on the interior of the house, which looks terrible and has to be repaired.

In my garage in AZ, I had about 6 inches of slop in the length. Despite this, I backed the TM into the wall a few times, so gently I couldn't hear it or feel it, but each time breaking the drywall on the garage side of the wall. I finally went to the lumberyard, got a handful of lag screws and a 12 foot length of 2x12, and bolted it to the studs in the garage wall at the height where the TM was hitting it. Now I have only 4 inches of slop, but a gentle tap on the 2x12 does no damage.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:56 PM   #5
prodesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
The problem with this approach is that you have to be INCREDIBLY CAREFUL about how you back the TM in. If the TM even taps the back wall of the pocket, it will break the drywall on the interior of the house, which looks terrible and has to be repaired.

In my garage in AZ, I had about 6 inches of slop in the length. Despite this, I backed the TM into the wall a few times, so gently I couldn't hear it or feel it, but each time breaking the drywall on the garage side of the wall. I finally went to the lumberyard, got a handful of lag screws and a 12 foot length of 2x12, and bolted it to the studs in the garage wall at the height where the TM was hitting it. Now I have only 4 inches of slop, but a gentle tap on the 2x12 does no damage.

Bill

yeah it's looking like the 2922 is out anyway... talked to the mfg and they said it is def 20' long so it's not an option as wall to the metal truss on the garage door is 19' 5"...

so it looks like the 2720 is my only option. but unfortunately there is nothing in my area to look at! (florida) the dealer that shows them is bait and switch and has nothing on the lot. i told them they should really take down the ads if they are sold out, "yeah, we need to get around to that". ummmm sure you will!

anyway, the next closest is alabama which has a few units. one is a 2020 model 2720QS for around 32K. wondering if they are dealing much on the price with the lack of availability?
Old 09-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #6
Shane826
TrailManor Master

The other thing about the rear bumper, at least on my 2007 3326, is that isn’t what will hit the rear wall first. The window cover hits the back wall first on my 2007 3326.

Note on my project 2000 2720SL, it has the old steel square bumper. That sticks out quite a bit further. But I don’t think they were making the 2922 model back then.

Oh, and I didn’t add a swing-tongue, but a removable A-Frame on the 3326. It takes off a little less than 30” and allows me to stuff the 3326 into the garage for winter. So it can be done... But I can see how finding a welder or trailer shop that is willing to take on that liability might be tough.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote