TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-29-2002, 01:56 AM   #1
caremd99

Default Leveling jacks

The hand crank for these jacks takes a long time so one thing I do is put a large allen wrench inside a cordless drill and use it to crank the jacks.  Works great!
Old 12-29-2002, 03:50 AM   #2
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Leveling jacks

Quote:
The hand crank for these jacks takes a long time so one thing I do is put a large allen wrench inside a cordless drill and use it to crank the jacks. Works great!

When we took possession of our TM, John at Dinuba RV showed us that trick first thing!! I bought an inexpensive cordless (18v) from Harbor Freight and I have never regretted that...cranking can take a while otherwise.  When camped with hookups, I will keep the charge up on the drill and have always had plenty of power.
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 11:46 AM   #3
Happytrails

Default Re: Leveling jacks

I bought a 24v cordless from "Big Lots" for $35.00. Not only has it been useful for the stabalizer jacks, it's been invaluable to all the work I've done to my TM.  :

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]
Old 02-29-2004, 07:54 PM   #4
ccc6588

Default Re:Leveling jacks

I saw my dealer use a DeWalt cordless with an Allen wrench also and went to the Home Depot to get the Allen wrench. They only sold them in sets.

Anyone know where I could get a single Allen wrench? Would it be a 3/16 inch?

CCC
Old 02-29-2004, 08:26 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Almost any kinda-hefty size will do nicely. I use 1/4", just because I had an extra, but I have also used 1/8". Rummage around a yard sale or flea market. You should find one for a dime or so.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 11:16 PM   #6
borgman

Try your local pawn shop. Some have all sorts of tool odds and ends - sockets, allen wrenchs, other wrenches, etc. One in our town has a bunch of bins full of these various items. You can probably pick up an allen wrench for a nickel.

Best Wishes,
WyomingRockHound
Old 03-01-2004, 07:54 AM   #7
Cateye
Cateye

I found that the sharp edges of an allen wrench opened the hole in the jack after repeated use. I purchased a section of 14"SS rod at the hardware store, cut it to approximately 15 inches, put a 1-1/4 ", 90 deg bend in one end using a vice and a propane torch, and then ground 3 flats on the other end to prevent if from slipping in the keyess chuck of an 18V drill. It works great, especially because it is longer and therefore easier to use than an allen wrench and it does not create any wear in the hole in the jack tube. Total time to create = 20 minutes - requirements= 1/4" SS rod, grinder, hack saw, propane torch.
Cateye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 10:04 AM   #8
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

[quote author=ccc6588 link=board=7;threadid=945;start=msg12132#msg12132 date=1078109673]
I saw my dealer use a DeWalt cordless with an Allen wrench also and went to the Home Depot to get the Allen wrench. They only sold them in sets.

Anyone know where I could get a single Allen wrench? Would it be a 3/16 inch?

CCC
[/quote]

I use a foundation bolt from the hardware store. It is already bent at a 90 degree angle at the end. It is made of a soft enough metal that it won't enlarge the holes in the jack. You can file flats on the threaded end if necessary.
MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 08:08 PM   #9
ccc6588

I was afraid someone will say that Texas_Camper. I already have an Allen wrench set, just the smaller ones that I may have had an opportunity use in the past, but never had to.

But, I'm glad I asked. It's good to know that the hole may get damaged with prolonged use of an Allen Wrench.

This will remind me to be gentle when I use a drill next time.

I haven't decided what I will do, but the next time I go to the hardware store, I'll keep my eyes out on the items mentioned. Thanks all.

Old 03-01-2004, 08:24 PM   #10
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

What do you folks without the scissor jacks do to help fine tune the leveling? We just have the drop-down type of jacks?

I was thinking about cutting some angled 2x4's, husband suggested shingles, have already tried rocks found at the campsite, there must be a better way (beside buying the scissor jacks).
B_and_D is offline   Reply With Quote