Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Default New Leveling jacks

I bought new leveling jacks for my camper from HF:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-4-q...ack-96406.html

My jacks were rusty and they were the type that has the hole for a "J" hook tool t lift the camper. The new ones have the 3/4" hex head and each jack comes with a wrench.

I saw these jacks on sale for $24 (Inside Track Club price) plus free shipping. I figured for that price, it wasn't worth sand-blasting and painting my old ones (I didn't like them anyway).

I didn't want to recommend these jacks until I actually installed them. I found them to be the same gauge steel, same construction but the HF jacks have one size larger bolts.

One must elongate the mounting holes to use the brackets or use the existing brackets (which is what I did).

BTW.........if anyone wants one or more of my old jacks (to replace a bent one or something), you are welcome to a couple. All you'd have to do is pick them up or pay the cost of shipping.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Not to be a stickler, but the ad says "5000 pounds" and "2 1/4 tons". Isn't 5000 pounds = 2 1/2 tons? Otherwise, looks great!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
Beach Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
I bought new leveling jacks for my camper from HF:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-4-q...ack-96406.html

My jacks were rusty and they were the type that has the hole for a "J" hook tool t lift the camper. The new ones have the 3/4" hex head and each jack comes with a wrench.

I saw these jacks on sale for $24 (Inside Track Club price) plus free shipping. I figured for that price, it wasn't worth sand-blasting and painting my old ones (I didn't like them anyway).

I didn't want to recommend these jacks until I actually installed them. I found them to be the same gauge steel, same construction but the HF jacks have one size larger bolts.

One must elongate the mounting holes to use the brackets or use the existing brackets (which is what I did).

BTW.........if anyone wants one or more of my old jacks (to replace a bent one or something), you are welcome to a couple. All you'd have to do is pick them up or pay the cost of shipping.
What is the "Inside Track Club." I buy from Harbor Freight all of the time. I see that the price for these jacks are $36.99 on their website. How do I join the Club?
Old 12-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
Beach Boy

Again I am slow on the uptake.

I went to the HF website and saw the Inside Track button. I am going to join. Was the Free Shipping an advertised special or a club special?
Old 12-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Boy View Post
What is the "Inside Track Club." I buy from Harbor Freight all of the time. I see that the price for these jacks are $36.99 on their website. How do I join the Club?
Go here:
http://www.harborfreight.com/inside-track

I think it costs like ~$30 to join. I bought a new arch welder about 8 months ago and it didn't work. I took it back (not happy) and they gave me a new welder (which works great) and a free Inside Track Club membership for 1-year.

Free shipping is on any order over $130 for a limited time. I think that is for all orders (not just Inside Track) but I might be mistaken.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Not to be a stickler, but the ad says "5000 pounds" and "2 1/4 tons". Isn't 5000 pounds = 2 1/2 tons? Otherwise, looks great!

Bill
Ya, well they do things a little differently in China........that's how they ended up with so many people...............

BTW...............my old jacks did not crank all the way up. I don't know it that was due to age, rust or if that's just the way that make is. These new jacks crank up flat. I really like that.

Did I ever tell you that I HATE RUST!!!!!. I guess that comes from living on a boat for so many years...... All of the rust is officially gone on this camper now
Old 12-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Bill
Actually, China probably uses metric tons or tonnes, which are 1,000 kg, or ~2200 lbs.

2 1/4 metric tons = ~5,000 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
Did I ever tell you that I HATE RUST!!!!!. I guess that comes from living on a boat for so many years...... All of the rust is officially gone on this camper now
It's gone.......until next month.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post

Dave
I hope not.......I ground it down to bare metal.....2-coats of Rustoleum Primer and 3-coats of Rustoleum Gloss black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03573.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	5402   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03572.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	5403   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03603.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	5404  
Old 12-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post

Dave
Dave,

How far are you from the ocean?

The person that I bought this TM from lived in Carlsbad, about 3 blocks from the ocean. Any and all exposed steel surfaces had a thin coat of rust. It really wasn't serious at the point that it was at but it would have been serious had it gone on for a few more years. In pic #1 above, you can see how rusty the jacks were. They were far worse than the frame though.

The rust was particularly bad around welds. Where the weld spattered onto the frame, the rust was really starting to take hold and HAD to be ground back to bare steel with an 80G grinding disk. It seems that the trailer manufacturers don't do a real good job of cleaning the welds before painting. I have seen this on most trailers that I've seen.

Are you having any rust issues?
Old 12-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Wayne - I live about 1/2 mile from the ocean, and we also have a glimpse of it from the house. That means we also regularly get fog, which I presume has more salt in it than inland fog. If I leave a bike outside in yard for a few weeks, it gets surface rust on any exposed metal. Same with any paint chips on the car -- I really have to jump on those, but fortunately they are rare.

I have some surface rust on my TM, primarily on the tongue -- I presume that's because it gets sand blasted going down the road. I've repainted parts of the tongue once or twice (with a brush) with a Rustoleum primer and top coat, and it only lasts a few months it seems. We are out every month or two, but you are out more often than that, so I'll definitely be interested in hearing how your job turned out. Your prep job was much better than mine, I can tell you that, and I know that is key, and in fact may be my problem. I only gave mine a light sanding by hand, and that's it. It sure looked nice right after I did it though.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote