TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Wink Norcold "3-way" temperature regulation... and a way to "fix" it?

This all concerns the Norcold model N300.3rh which I have in my 2619 from year 2006; I don't know if TrailManor still uses this refrigerator in current models. In many Threads concerning this refrigerator, people (including me!) keep complaining about the way it tends to freeze lettuce in the coldest part of the night (just before dawn); and then warms up to 50F+ during the daytime (if you forgot to turn the danged thermostat dial back down).

This post includes a wiring diagram (please see the attachment, "norcold_n300.rh_3-way_wiring.jpg"). Then, in the following post, I discuss the electrical current path in each of the 3 operating modes (12VDC, 115VAC, and Propane).
- - - - -

The diagram, copied from the Service Manual, labels the following parts with numbers, in circles next to the parts:

#1: 120VAC power cord ("hot", "neutral", and chassis ground).

#2: Wire Terminal Block. All connections are straight through. (1-8, 2-7, 3-6, and 4-5).
#3: AC power fuse. (3 amp fuse on the Norcold's 120VAC "hot" wire out from terminal block).
#12: DC power fuse. (20-amp fuse on the Norcold's +12VDC "hot" wire out from terminal block).
#11: +12VDC from the TM's converter/regulator. (A dedicated line, with another fuse within the TM's 12V distribution panel.)
#10: -12VDC "neutral". I'll SWAG that this is an actual white wire back to the TM's converter/regulator, but my TM is closed up right now... I'll edit/correct this statement if it turns out to be an adjacent chassis ground.

#4: The selector switch. (With settings for "Off", "DC/Battery", "AC plug-in", and "Propane flame".)
#5: The thermocouple -- which has NOTHING to do with the thermostat. (It is only used for safety and control of gas flow during propane operation.)
#6: the "dumb" thermostat.
#7, #8: propane ignition and flame status devices.

#16: The 12VDC heater (+12V "hot" coming in from terminal "W2" on the selector switch #4; -12V "neutral" straight back to the terminal block).

#17: The 120VAC heater. "Hot" comes on "BLK" from terminal "W1" on selector switch #4, into the "dumb" thermostat #6; when the thermostat feels that the heater circuit should be "on", it connects out on wire "BRN", which is ultimately connected to heater input wire "BLU".)

I'll provide some more diagrams in the next post, but you can already see the Norcold "temperature regulation" problems from my description:
  • 12 Volts operation is NOT controlled by the thermostat. You turn the fridge to run on 12V, and it keeps going, and going, and going.... (But unlike the Energizer Bunny, this one hurts batteries.)
  • The "dumb" thermostat, controlling AC and Propane, is just like the ones which are used in cheaper, non-digital kitchen refrigerators. But unlike the kitchen refrigerator thermostat, it doesn't sit INSIDE the food storage area. It's sitting on that front control panel, with one side (and the whole dial face) exposed to TM living space. The simple thermometer which is inside of it gets affected, a lot, by temperature changes within the TM living space. There is not a good correlation between "dumb thermostat" temperature and refrigerator interior temperature. That's why it works so badly.
  • And finally (as I mentioned in connection with the parts list) the thermocouple has nothing to do with the temperature control thermostat. (It's used for propane control ONLY.)

In the next post, I'll try to explain the flow of electricity (for control and actual heating) in the 3 operating modes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	norcold_n300.rh_3-way_wiring.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	4355  
Old 03-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Electrical flow diagrams

The current flow diagram, from the Service Manual, is attached. The large box, #17, is the selector switch. The AC heater is shown as #4; the DC heater is shown as #14. The AC "hot" connection through the Thermostat is at #3. (I have no idea why it is shown with this symbol; it functions as a simple on/off switch in this case.) And the group of components at the lower left, #6-7-8-11, is the Propane control section. (#6 is the gas safety valve; #7 is the thermocouple interrupter; #8 is the front-panel flame meter; and #11 is the thermocouple.) I see that the flame meter "red" wire goes into the thermostat in order to complete a grounding connection, and although their picture shows no thermostat involvement in Propane mode, I think that the thermostat's dial setting does have an effect here.

DC Operating Mode

Norcold specified the operating limits of DC mode at 13.5 Volts minimum, 15.4 Volts maximum. But there's nothing to interrupt or test the voltage along the DC current path; once it's running, it will happily suck your TM and TV batteries down to the point where your TV needs a "jump" in order to restart the vehicle. (As so many have learned, the hard way... ) Current and heater power are voltage dependent. At 14.0 volts, output is 150 watts and current is 10.7 Amps. At higher voltage, more current goes through the heater, and output is higher.

This mode corresponds to the current path #12 (+12VDC) --> #13 (DC fuse) --> selector switch --> DC heater #14 --> Grounding Connection #15. Why this picture uses totally different numbers, I have no idea. The real numbers, so that you can match up with the diagram in post #1, are as follows: #11 (+12VDC) --> #12 (fuse, same number) --> selector switch #4 --> DC heater #16 (different number!) --> Grounding connection # 10.

The big surprise here is the fact that both diagrams agree: DC operating mode never goes through the "dumb" thermostat for any management. There's simply no control connection, in or out, along this path. (hmmmm, I'm not impressed.... and don't let me get started on their use of a WHITE!!! wire for the HOT DC connection through the fuse and into the selector switch.)

AC Operating Mode

This is the top diagram, shown as #1, 120VAC "hot"; --> #2, AC Fuse; --> selector switch; --> #3, rotary "dumb" thermostat; --> #4, AC Heater; goes to #5, neutral wire into the AC plug. The padt numbers which changed are #2, the AC fuse (#3 in the previous diagram); #3, the "dumb" thermostat (formerly labeled as #6); the AC Heater (formerly labeled as #9); and the neutral connection back to the AC power distribution panel (not previously numbered separately.)

No surprises here, it's exactly as I had expected to see.

Propane Operating Mode

This is all a mystery to me, and I'm not going to touch anything involved in the regulation of this mode. I'm only going after the DC and AC circuits....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	norcold_n300.rh_current-flow-diagram.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	4356  
Old 03-10-2010, 01:26 AM   #3
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Talking SSR placement and wiring

Attachment shows the locations of the two relays, in a modified version of the wiring diagram from post #1. Each of the two Solid State Relays ("SSR" devices) supports load current of up to 25 Amps, but they are not the same. The AC relay is on the right, labeled "B". (It interrupts the "Hot" 120VAC lead coming from the "dumb thermostat"). Don't make this connection too close to the heater, within the heat resistant "BLU" wire; try to put it at considerable distance so that the relay doesn't get cooked by heat coming down the wire. (I don't know where the junction between "BRN" and "BLU" occurs; but if it is easy to access, then that would be a good place.)

These relays get warm when they're switched too often, but that doesn't happen in this application. No heatsink is needed here. The harder-to-find DC relay is labeled "A", and occurs along the the +12V "YELLOW" wire from the selector switch. As with the 120VAC "BLU" wire, cut in at a location with considerable distance from the from the heater.

Good accessibility assures that you can bypass the relay, if the control system blows up during a trip. If you put both power leads on the same "load" contact of the relay and tighten the screw down, then the circuit is always "on" -- no matter was has gone wrong inside the relay, or back in the PID. (If you want to be strictly "proper" about your emergency wiring, you'll use a small terminal block like #2 -- one lead per screw terminal, never two. )
- - - - -

The last issue, which I have not covered until this morning's edit, is the relay control wiring. I am not sure whether they should be wired in series, or in parallel. (I'll guess that either way works, but I'll be testing it the bench before I wire it up in the TM.)

The question is whether to wire the SSR control leads in Series (through each other), or in parallel at the PID controller.

Probably, BOTH ways work, but Series is more simple. Both SSR devices images on the website show a "switch on" voltage of 3-32V, and the PID controllers dish out 10 volts. So, unless the internal resistance of each one is badly "out-of-whack" versus the other, they'll both be seeing enough voltage (across the control leads) to make the switch.

Sorry, editing this post has DESTROYED the description of parts (which was here when I finished last night). That parts list and discussion (the MEAT of this whole Thread !!!) is now below, in post number 12. Grrr, must have coffee first, before tearing big things apart without verifying that I've made a viable backup copy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	norcold-with-relays-in-place.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	4357  
Old 03-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #4
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Wow.

This is...awesome!

I don't know if I'll ever attempt this...but it's fantastic that you put in the time and effort to write all of this up for the rest of us.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
PopBeavers

I am very interested in this. I find that I have to change the temperature setting twice a day. One setting for overnight and another for during the day.

I sure would like to not have to REMEMBER to do that.

It can easily reach 90+ degrees inside my TM while we are gone for the day, but the overnight low will drop low enough that the furnace kicks in at the lowest setting, which is about 55.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Wink Wayne, it's even WORSE on my side of the mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I am very interested in this. I find that I have to change the temperature setting twice a day. One setting for overnight and another for during the day....
humidity keeps "your" temperatures (on the California side) much more stable than we get on my side. In addition to the 90+ days, we can go all the way down to 30F in the high desert. Yes, frost in July. Single-digit humidity readings wreak havoc! But I know you to be a "roughing it" frequently. I don't know your preference for propane versus generator in such situations. (Remember, this doesn't change the Propane situation at all.) You could, though, switch from propane to generator-charged battery through the night, and that would prevent discovery of exploded beer cans in the AM.... when you REALLY WANT that first beer.
- - - - -
I know you to be more competent at TM Mods than I am, and you'll be out and about during April. If you end up buying it first, my contact is "Marco". Please tell him that Rick Stockton sent you, and he'll know exactly what you're talking about.
- - - - -
Pair-from-ChiTown: thanks for the Kudos!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
ferdoh

I thought that the propane ran on low flame all of the time and the stat would bring in high flame as needed, but I can't say for certain without testing. Looking at your wiring diagram, I can't see how it would though.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Wink WHOOPS! my first bad guess (propane)....

By looking at an electrical wiring diagram, I didn't see that the propane supply tubing goes right through the Thermostat.

So the sequence of controls is this:

#1: Propane control circuits must activated (electrically) at the selector switch).

#2: Propane supply line goes into the thermostat, where it is valve- controlled. I don't know if it is a "fully open OR fully shut" type of valve, or whether there really is some finicky control done there. (I think that it's only On/Off, because the attached diagnostic procedure doesn't test for "if open, how much".)

#3: Propane line out of the Thermostat, where it becomes thermocouple controlled.

I've attached the propane "won't stay lit" diagnostics page, leaving out the various thermocouple voltage settings and their regulation of the valve (stuff at the bottom).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	norcold_n301.rh_propane-control.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	4358  
Old 03-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
PopBeavers

I missed the detail about not applicable to propane mode. My problem is in propane mode.

About the only time I have shore power is pre-chilling at home (which doesn't matter much) and attending TM rallys, of which there are two this year.

I have not yet been to the NV desert with my TM. Donner State Park is the closest I have been. But I know the desert well, from Fallon/Fort Churchill to just south of Tonopah. In July no less. But we were tent camping. Rawhide is a really tough place to be tent camping in July, but that is another subject.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #10
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Whoops! my second bad guess (thermostat temperature measurement)....

The thermostat does have a bulb-tube into the actual refrigerator section (it's mounted on one of the cooling fins). But by mounting it right on one of the fins, in order to protect it from damage, Norcold assures that the measurements will be VERY unreliable.

None of these old-style thermostat bulbs measure accurately in the first place. But the huge problem is the mounting point: If you want to control the refrigerator temperature, then you need to take a measurement in the refrigerated area. (And preferably near the bottom.) Norcold's measurement on the fins presents the status of the bromine-based refrigerant, not the status of your food.

I'm happy with my design of turning the Norcold thermostat to #5 and then letting the new PID controller work via actual temperature. In this design, if the Norcold has some "never go colder than this, EVER" built into it's thermostat, then that will continue to protect the system from damage in extreme conditions.
Closed Thread