TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Feedback to TrailManor
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2010, 05:55 AM   #11
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificstar View Post
Ok after reading these posts I'm not so sure the make is for me! I value customer care and customer appreciation from a company. I do like to buy new if I can afford it and this isn't making me feel so great about paying this much for a trailer. Thanks folks.
I'm not sure that it's just TrailManor having these problems. I have been debating on whether to get a fifth wheeler. As I do research on the models I have narrowed it down to, I keep running into similar kinds of problems from disatisified owners who have posted their experiences online in different forums.

It appears there are quality control issues across many makes and manufacturers of trailers.

As a business owner myself----I can testify to how hard it is to find good help. It appears less and less people are taking pride in their work, but the root causes of that would take up many forum pages.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I'm not sure that it's just TrailManor having these problems. I have been debating on whether to get a fifth wheeler. As I do research on the models I have narrowed it down to, I keep running into similar kinds of problems from disatisified owners who have posted their experiences online in different forums.

It appears there are quality control issues across many makes and manufacturers of trailers.

As a business owner myself----I can testify to how hard it is to find good help. It appears less and less people are taking pride in their work, but the root causes of that would take up many forum pages.
I agree with wmtire 100%.

The problem with forums like this is that the dissatisfied customers speak the loudest..........It's not many forums that you will find that happy customers post their delight. For the hundreds of trailers that are built and sold, the # of complaints seem to be relatively low IMO.....

That doesn't diminish the validity of those that do complain. It may just help add a little balance to the over-all issue.

Just the very concept of building a home on a trailer that is driven down rough roads, over pot-holes, up & down hills, in and out of driveways, hot weather and cold weather (often in the same day), Sun exposure, salty roads, ocean air and all the rest of it, is a daunting task.

The manufacturers have to compete in the market place by keeping assembly prices in line, yet still come up with a competitive product.

I'm not excusing anything BTW.......I'm just saying that the market place is driven by the consumer. If a manufacturer does not keep up with consumer demand (both quality and price) they will only last as long as their ability to bleed $.

I have seen some really poor design flaws in the TM line of trailers. It does take a disturbingly long time for TM to get on top of these flaws but it has been my experience that (in the end) they do address most of them. Assembly issues seem to be a more time critical problem and closely related to the quality of people employed and the training time dedicated.

It appears that it is certainly time for TM to get serious about employee training and quality control.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:03 AM   #13
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

Customer Service (what a joke) has also ignored my e-mails asking them about the rumored future availability of a power shell lift option (expensive but retrofitable). Even a "we don't know" reply would have been great but they totally ignore you just as I once witnessed the founder refuse to to acknowledge his factory receptionist's :Good Morning" greeting to him as he swept royally into his office. They appear to just not care anymore sad to say.
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:38 AM   #14
rjlwork

After just returning from the factory, I can see why things are so up in the air. 40% of the rv industry has gone through shut-down. Trailmanor is feeling lucky to still be with us. That being said, the factory is running on minimum staff and stock/parts. Anything new, is on hold; waiting for an upturn to the economic situations we're all facing. I felt cared for and had all the attention I needed while I was there. Not being able to deal directly with them has to be frustrating. Being short-staffed has to have an effect on response and urgency issues. They're trying, please try to give them the benefit of the doubt. Anything new in development has to take a backseat to basic operations and survival.

Judy
2010 Trailmini
2007 (new to us!) Chevy Avalanche
Old 11-09-2010, 07:39 AM   #15
mtnguy

That is quite a turn around. When I was at the factory in Aug. 2008, there was a hiring sign out front, and I was told production couldn't keep up with demand.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #16
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcoombs View Post
Customer Service (what a joke) has also ignored my e-mails asking them about the rumored future availability of a power shell lift option (expensive but retrofitable). Even a "we don't know" reply would have been great but they totally ignore you just as I once witnessed the founder refuse to to acknowledge his factory receptionist's :Good Morning" greeting to him as he swept royally into his office. They appear to just not care anymore sad to say.
Very interesting indeed...was that the elder William Hulsey? If so it must have been before he had his stroke. For over a year Michael Hulsey was in charge of the factory and did a great job of driving it into the ground. He rarely answered emails, and I have personally sent 3 certified letter that all vent unanswered by him. With the new CEO there may be hope for a brighter future. But the road is going to be rough!

And yes the Honorable Harveyrv is correct in stating that those with complaints are probably more active than those that claim to be satisfied. After calling/writing and what not without an answer it is only human to seek other places to "vent".

So it is all in the future. Perhaps TM will succeed, perhaps they will not.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #17
moaboy

Let's buy the company...!
Old 12-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #18
foxhaven0

I have had excellent response from TM, both from Ed Lytle and Eddie Loving in Parts. I used email and did not expect to be answered instantly. Within a couple days I had very courteous answers. I bought a used 3124ks and have had things that needed upkeep as anything would. While I was looking at used rvs I found the biggest issue was how well the owner took care of it, not how well it was build to begin with.
Fran
2001 3124ks
2003 F150
Old 12-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #19
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhaven0 View Post
I have had excellent response from TM, both from Ed Lytle and Eddie Loving in Parts. I used email and did not expect to be answered instantly. Within a couple days I had very courteous answers. I bought a used 3124ks and have had things that needed upkeep as anything would. While I was looking at used rvs I found the biggest issue was how well the owner took care of it, not how well it was build to begin with.
Fran
2001 3124ks
2003 F150
I have to agree with you foxhaven0. Response to phone calls is great. Over all TM does a good job, I have never seen a RV with printed labels to identify wiring like TM does but at the same token not properly crimping connectors and or using the wrong one for the gauge wire isn't acceptable. The use of wire nuts for splices is great in two places; at home in house wiring and as a temporary fix on the road; not as a original splice from the factory or by the dealer prior to delivery.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #20
OffToDaRaces

Default Trailmanor quality control

Hello everyone. I have been reading about quality issues with the TM units, new and old. I recently purchased a 2008 2720 that I am initially pleased with. I am not an engineer, but I have had some training in construction of various vehicles, ie semi's, semi trailers, cargo trailers etc.

After getting my TM home, I have spent the last few days going over it with a fine tooth comb. Although the engineering theories seem sound, the actual construction could be better. I have replaced many l inferior screws, staples and double stick tape. I actually think that if TM had used a better quality fasteners during assembly, it may have added $5-10 per unit, and possibly 5 pounds per Trailer. It appears that the new attitude in business is planned obsolesence. I guess that I may be a bit anal, but I like to know what I am dealing with.

I was abit suprised when I removed a couple panels and trim in the rear shell, while installing rear vision camera. I would have thought that electrical connections would be made with something better than "crimp connectors" from Wall Mart. I lieu of replacing all of those connectors now, I have decided that if I have any electrical problems inthe future, the first place to look will be the connectors.

Other minor things that I found and fixed are things like; the heavy weatherstrip that runs the length of the shells is poorly secured at the end of the slide. I fixed those by cleaning the tabs at the end of the slides, using velcro and a self taping screw thru a small flat washer. Now when slid, the weather barrier does slide smoothly and is not as prone to damage to itself or the surrounding materials. I also repaired or replaced almost all of Velcro that is used to hold the whole thing together.

I have also ordered, from TM, the LED tail lights. I believe that better lighting on the rear of any trailer, reduces the chances of rear end collisions. The new lights are supposed to be direct replacements for the older model lights, although a bit larger and a separate tag light must aslo be used.

If anyone is interested, will continue to post whatever fixes and replacements that I perform on my TM. It actually has been fun going thru the trailer and trying different things. Many of my ideas have come from this forum. Keep it up. Thanks