TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
Duane C.

Default Best trailer tires 3124KS?

I need some help from the "TM family". I need advice on replacing my Goodyear Marathon tires on my rig. 2001 3124KS with 15" tires. Had a blowout coming down from Big Bear Lake and I'm on the spare. (Marathon) I had checked inflation and tread showed no distress or issues when I left. Thank God it blew as we came to the bottom of the twisties! I have heard of some Marathon tread issues and related blowouts.
Any Suggestions?
Old 09-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
Goodyear Travels

Duane, I would suggest that you spend some time reading what others have written about various tires using the forum's "search" function. We've kind of been conducting our own informal research by sharing our tire and road experiences and you can review what others have shared using the search function. The results are being compiled by one of our members who owns a tire/wheel shop. He, in my opinion, is our best and most informed tire source. But I'm not sure that he will ever say, definitively, that we should run one, particular tire. I expect that we'll end up with maybe 2 or 3 highly recommended tires based on our collective experiences. Personally, I switched to Maxxis (available from Discount Tire) which I run at 59 psi, instead of the recommended 65 psi. I run at slightly less than recommended pressure in order to soften the trailer's ride and still have plenty of load capacity for our 07 2720sl. Duane, you'll need to do careful research if you decide to follow something other than the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure. But the Maxxis is a 6 ply tire with a low failure rate and a very strong casing that is apparently well-recommended for desert/highway use. They have performed perfectly in my last 3 trips but that is all that I can share about Maxxis. Again, different TM folks will cast different votes and in the end --- you'll have to make the call. But your practice of constant monitoring of tire pressure and tire condition is probably your best insurance policy. Even after a short (4 or 5 day) stay at a campground --- I don't pull out without checking and adjusting tire pressure (and also lug nut torque after I replaced our 14 inch wheels with 15 inch).
It also never hurts to have an angel on each axle-end. Maybe that's why it blew "at the bottom of the twisties" ??? eric
Old 09-16-2008, 06:08 AM   #3
SCBillandJane

I too wondered about the best choice for 15 inch tires as I was planning a trip to Alaska. Since there is no recommended best tire or tires yet, I decided to try something different than Marathons. I happened to chose Denmans because someone else had good luck with them. We just returned from a 13,500 trip in 9 weeks. There were all kinds of roads and construction. We had the trailer as heavily loaded as we will ever have. We had no trouble, but heard from other campers of numerous tire problems. Maybe we were just lucky.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
bfezel

I too have had a blowout, and a near blowout, on Marathons. After much, much research I reached the sad conclusion that there are no "best" trailer tires. It's more a matter of which ones are "less bad."

I went with a set of new Marathons. Seemed to be as good as any of the others.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
Alrhall

Check your valve stems. Twist em, Flex em, etc. If you see any sign of cracking change them to high quality steel stems. My spare had never been on the road. When I tried to rotate my tires it was low due to a cracked 4 year old stem. I sure wish I had replaced all three when I found it.