TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-25-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
MidwestDave

Question Frame Question

DW is not satisfied with sharing TM with mice where our TM is stored. It is presently stored next to a corn field and heavy brush. Our 2720 would fit in 1/2 of garage , 80" height and 19 foot long and a minimum of 45" clearance on wall side, however we have an 8' long apron at an incline of 0 to 15" to the garage opening. I was thinking about using a 3000 pound electric winch to pull the TM into the garage. The problem I have is I don't have any idea where the cable could be attached so that I would not damage anything like the axle, etc. Using the TV to put TM in garage is out because of limited space.
Yes We do have the swing away hitch and roof mounted AC slender model.
Any ideas?
Old 09-25-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
MidwestDave

Red face Measurement Update

After looking at former posts on the site I checked garage door and found if I remove the cotter pin and the arm pin thus disengaging power arm. I can push door up so there is a gain of 3" giving me 83" for doorway height.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
larsdennert

Yes and roll up doors generally give better clearance than one piece units. They also allow you to open the door while parked in front of the garage. 7' is standard height.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
MidwestDave

Default 2720 (06) TM True Height

Anticipating storage of my 2720 (2006) in my garage I went to the TrailManor web page for their specifications. A 2720 is 64 1/2" high when closed. Add 16 1/2" for standard air conditioner. Add 2" for lift kit. Total 83". My door way measures 83". The low profile A/C would give more clearance. Does anyone know if the low profile was standard for 2006? TM is 25 miles away right now so I can't check. Yes, I figured that garage doors were pretty much standard in the industry. Thanks for the response.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #5
camp2canoe

We wedge a 2x4 under the lowest section of the open garage door which gains us about 2" of extra vertical clearance. Pulling the pin won't work for us as the garage door still hangs down a couple of inches when open. We also use a front hitch on the truck as we have only scant inches of horizontal clearance. The benefits of the front hitch are that you can see the TM and opening and can make more surgical steering inputs. The layout of my driveway, which both curves and has a hump in the middle, almost requires a front hitch but I've used it a couple of times to manuever between trees at primitive campsites. It also is a good place to carry a bike rack as they are always in your view. Hope this helps. - camp2canoe
Old 09-28-2007, 10:02 AM   #6
PopBeavers

I replaced the single piece double garage door with a roll up door. The door is adjusted so that it is higher than the top of the door jamb.

My 2005 TM 2720 with roof a/c and lift kit clears the opening. I have about a quarter inch of vertical clearance.

As far as I know, my door is a standard height.

I'm pretty sure I posted some dimensions here in the last 3 years, but I am too lazy to search for my own posts.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
MidwestDave

Thumbs up A/C height

I went to the dealers website to confirm that I do indeed have the low profile A/C and it measures 14 1/4" high. This added to the other dimentions gives total height of 81" TM closed 64 1/2"
low pro.a/c 14 1/4"
lift kit 2"
______
81"
Still need to know where I can hang a cable to tow TM up short incline into garage. Cable needs to be attached in rear of TM. Thanks everyone for your advise.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:11 PM   #8
larsdennert

Are you trying to winch the TM into the garage vs tow/pushing it in with a vehicle? The bumper is the only option. You could buy a tow strap with loop ends and feed it through itself on each side to create big loops. Take each loop and put them around each corner of the bumper. Tie a loop knot in the center of the strap to tow from.

You could also do what I did and put a hitch receiver on the TM. The bumper has to be reenforced on the back side for real service duty.

I have a 2720 with a 2" Lift and AC. It never occured to me that the TM would be too high to fit under the door. It doesn't look to be a problem except that my garage was built in 1930 and is only 19' or so. Even with the swing hitch I don't think it will fit lengthwise; not to mention all the junk in the garage. I bought an SUV cover and put that over the TM to keep the bird poop off.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:46 PM   #9
Allen1124

I have a 19 ft. garage and am able to fit a 2720 or 2720SL with the swing hitch in the garage with a few inches to spare. The 2720 shortens to 18 feet +/-
Yes, I confirmed that the "low profile" a/c unit on a 2006 model 2720 and a 2008 model 2720SL is 14 inches =/- from the top of the mid section roof, so I would think that the "low profile" a/c unit for at least the last couple of years would be the same on any TM model for those years.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:43 AM   #10
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestDave View Post
Still need to know where I can hang a cable to tow TM up short incline into garage. Cable needs to be attached in rear of TM. Thanks everyone for your advise.
Two suggestions for your consideration:

My TM has two triangular metal structures welded to lengthwise frame members below the bumper (that protect the bumper from being drug on the pavement when entering/exiting a driveway). I would check with TM to see if they would handle the stresses involved.

There are cutouts in the same lengthwise frame members through which the torsion bars run across the width of the TM. A strap loop could be run through them and the cable attached to the loop. The loop could be made large enough to extend past the bumper if you are concerned about the cable marring the bumper.

If it was me, and if possible, I would leave the TV attached to the TM as long as necessary while winching it in to make sure that everything holds and you are not faced with a loose TM rolling down an incline.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote