TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-06-2023, 09:46 PM   #11
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
Not sure about the bluing - possibly. They aren't shiny bright but, again - first time with electric brakes and don't know what to expect. I have done my own car brakes a couple of times years ago, but that was years ago... And mine had never had any over-heating issues - I don't ride my brakes - car, trailer or motorhome. I learned how to use engine braking a long time ago.

I am not going to mess around. I have the Lippert hubs on order, and they will be here next week. Complete with bearings, races and seals installed.

I'm going to start from scratch. New brake assemblies and new hubs. Then I know where I stand.
When you use the term, "Hubs"...... I hope the you mean brake drums. You can buy hubs separately but you can't put drums on the hubs. Hubs are made for trailers with no brakes.
Old 06-06-2023, 09:57 PM   #12
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
When you use the term, "Hubs"...... I hope the you mean brake drums. You can buy hubs separately but you can't put drums on the hubs. Hubs are made for trailers with no brakes.
With drum brakes, I've always understood the hub to be part of the drum, i.e. the part holding the bearings and to which the studs are welded. Same with discs....the hub is integrated. A distinction without a difference perhaps?

https://pacifictrailers.com/products...-x-2-1-4-41048

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:15 PM   #13
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
With drum brakes, I've always understood the hub to be part of the drum, i.e. the part holding the bearings and to which the studs are welded. Same with discs....the hub is integrated. A distinction without a difference perhaps?

https://pacifictrailers.com/products...-x-2-1-4-41048

Dave
That’s kind of the way I understand it. I’ve seen them called hubs and drums. But yes… the drum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5F055EC3-60F6-4A6E-91AA-A08B520BDD7F.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	22110  
Old 06-07-2023, 06:20 AM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Several years ago I had bearing disintegrate. Not fun, since the spindle was damaged - but it gave me a lot of time to get acquainted with trailer axle assemblies. I came to use the part names shown in the diagram below, from a Lippert service manual.

The spindle is the end of the axle - the part the pokes into and through the hub. The hub is the cylindrical part that accepts the spindle. For the Lippert products we are talking about, the hub assembly (as opposed to the hub itself) include the hub, the wheel mounting studs, the brake drum, and magnet track. The hub assembly slides onto the spindle and then over the brake assembly. The brake assembly includes the shoes, the magnets, the actuators, and assorted other parts, all mounted on a backing plate (shown but not labeled). By removing four bolts - you can see the heads of two of them in the picture - you can remove the entire brake assembly. At that point, you can mess around with new shoes and new magnets and all the assembly work and adjustments that go with them. Or you can simply buy a new backing plate with everything already mounted and adjusted, and bolt it in place with the same 4 bolts. Even better, in the case of TM brake assembly, you can ditch the original manual-adjust brakes and buy a brake assembly with self-adjusting brakes.

Bottom line - for these pre-assembled units from Lippert, the term "hub" is pretty much interchangeable with "hub assembly.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hub and drum..jpg
Views:	27
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	22111  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote