TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:26 PM   #1
domels

Default Trailer wheel gets in the way!

Just bought a used 2619 today. Tonight, I tried to back it up in the garage.

My driveway starts with about 4 feet going up 4 inches to the sidewalk, then, from the sidewalk to the garage, it's down a couple of feet over 30 feet or so.

So the the TM wheels go down the incline before the TV back wheels even start going up to the sidewalk. And the trailor wheel simply hits the ground at the sidewalk!

1) When the whole setup is flat, the trailor wheel is only 4-5 inches off the ground when fully retracted. That seems awfully low. Is that normal? It's definitely cranked up all the way. (and yes, the line between TM and TV is flat, so this is not a case of my hitch being too low).

2) There does not seem to be any easy way to remove the wheel. Tomorrow, I'll have to unbolt it and see if I can take it over the "hill", and bolt it back on before I unhitch. Has anyone replaced the TM trailer wheel with something that provides more clearance? I've seen boats where you can fold the wheel when it's up.

Any help appreciated.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:14 AM   #2
Michael

Red face Removeable?

I have the exact same situation with respect to the slope of my driveway into my garage. Fortunately, the wheel on the tongue jack is removable. I push up on the wheel and rotate the sleeve at the top of the wheel and it drops off. But my TM is a 2007 and since I'm new to the TM family, I couldn't tell you about what was used in previous years. I know, not much help, but I'm just thinking that if your tongue jack wheel isn't removeable, maybe you could upgrade to a style like my 2007.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:53 AM   #3
commodor47
Site Sponsor

On our unit the wheel has two internal dimples on the inside of the sleeve that ride along two grooves in the tongue jack. As Michael stated, you should be able to push up on and rotate the wheel sleeve (counter clockwise?) causing the wheel to drop off the tongue jack. It may be that the wheel sleeve is stuck on the tongue jack. You could try using some penetrating oil and lightly tap the sleeve with a small ball peen hammer. The wheel sleeve could have been forced beyond the groove locking stop on the tongue jack. Or it might have been installed without lining up the dimples with the tongue jack grooves. In either case you will have to force the sleeve to return to the grooved area before the wheel can be removed.
Albums
Old 07-21-2007, 05:19 AM   #4
mtnguy

Once you get that puppy lose, don't travel with it in place....you could leave it on the road in another state.

Chap

Old 07-21-2007, 06:22 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

To the best of my knowledge, the trailer wheel has always been removable in the manner that Commodor47 reports. It was on my '02 TM - it is the same on my '06 TM. After the first year of fussing with it, I took the wheel off and threw it in the back of the garage, and never used it again.

Bill
Old 07-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #6
Freedom

My electric tongue jack came with a flat round foot that is pinned on with a pin with a built in bail to hold it in place. The shaft is larger than the shaft on the manual jack so the original wheel doesn't fit. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:00 AM   #7
domels

Thanks all. It's indeed removable. I just could not figure it out in the dark last night, and the previous owner forgot to mention that (or did not know).

Have fun!

Closed Thread