TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2007, 10:34 AM   #1
ericluvskim04

Default Another WD question

Hello,
I Just bought a 3023 from a Texas dealer this weekend. They sold huskie WDs and that is what they set up for me. I was concerned because they looked confused during the set-up and it took over 3 hrs to get it right. I say that losely because I watched what they did and it did not match up with what the directions said to do. They did everything by eye and my truck dropped more then the 1/2 inch when the system is hooked up. They didn't take any measurements or anything. I am going to set the hitch up this week the right way using the directions provided. My question is they sold me a hitch according label on the bar that will support 801 to 1200lbs TW. The 3023 has a 409lb TW. Is this hitch too stout for my configuration? Will it be safe to tow with this WD? My TV is a 2007 Trailblazer so I need everything set up correctly. Is too much a bad thing? I need to know because I am going up to Raton pass to camp this weekend and I don't want any trouble in the mountains. It towed fine all the way back to NM but it was pretty flat. Let me know. Thanks!

Eric Stone
Old 06-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
Freedom

My WDH is for 750 - 1000 lbs. The main thing is you don't want one that is too light. The tongue weight of our 2619 is around 350 and there is no problem using the heavier bars since you basically only use what is needed to bring the TM and TV back to level. The main thing is to restore the weight and steering to the front axle and to get the headlights out of the treetops. I would check out their setup before redoing the whole thing. If the TM and TV are level and there are enough links between the bar and the bracket, I wouldn't worry about it. If it all worked towing it back I would say it's probably O.K. Towing in the mountains shouldn't affect anything. A good way to check is to measure from the ground to the lip of the wheel well on the front and rear of the TV BEFORE hooking up the TM and then snap up the chains (on the link they had them on) and see if the front and rear of the TV go down equally. If they don't, try another link. Don't get it to where there aren't enough links between the snap bracket and the bars or there will be trouble on turning. (The bars DO NOT have to be level) Now that I've totally confused you. . .
Old 06-25-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
Bill & Lisa

My equalizer WDH is rated at 1000 lbs. I am towing with a 2002 Trailblazer, so I don't think you have a problem with their choice of capacity but maybe with how it was set up.

Bill