TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
ericluvskim04

Default Towing a 3023 with V-6 a 2007 Trailblazer

I have read a lot of posts on here about towing and I want to see what you think about towing this 2005 3023 with a Trailblazer. I called the Colorado Springs dealer and they said I could tow anything in their inventory with this vehicle. I understand I will be sacrificing power but my question is will it be safe? I am going to Cleburne TX to pick the unit up and would appreciate your thoughts. I bought a prodigy brake controller and had a transmission cooler installed. The tow package said it can tow 4000lbs and handle a 400lb tw. It also said with a wd hitch it could handle 7600lbs and 760lb tw. Again, please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Eric Stone
Old 06-21-2007, 08:01 AM   #2
Bill & Lisa

As Leon said we tow a 3023 with a 2002 Trail Blazer LS (I-6). We did get a significant squat to the TV. Added Timbren Suspension Enhancement System (not worth it in my opinion) but it really made the ride harsh. Ended up getting an Equalizer Weight Distributing Hitch and have been happy since. Towed from Virginia Beach to Colorado Springs one year ago for the Jubilee. Trail Blazer did well, down to 45 on some of the steeper grades but I didn't push it either.

Hope that helps,
Bill
Old 06-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
hingarfi

Eric:
I have towed my 3023 5500 miles up and down the National Parks in the Rocky Mountains/Utah/Wyoming and about 6000 miles to Nova Scotia and back. I was in low gear going over Rockies (9700 foot pass) to Great Sand Dunes NP but everyone was going about 40 MPH up that grade so no problem. As indicated, I have the long wheelbase EXT. I run with full synthetic oils in engine, trans, rear axle. I get 15-16 MPG and cruise at 60 MPH / 2500 RPM
Old 06-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
ericluvskim04

Thanks for the replies. I am feeling alot better about the TV I purchased. I wanted good gas mileage while towing and a great camper. Looks like I got both! I currently am stationed at Cannon AFB NM so I will be doing a lot of camping in the Rockies so the information really helped. This board is really a blessing in disguise. Thanks again!

PS How can I become a full member? I am currently a trail member.

Eric Stone
Old 06-21-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
Bill & Lisa

Eric,
Your numbers for the EXT are interesting. My short wheel base has a little over 114,000 miles on it and I am getting 17.5-18.5 MPG highway (not towing) and around 15-16 towing. I cruise at 68 MPH at 2,000 RPM - I wonder why the difference? I see your engine is the same as mine but I have the 3.73 rear end. What is the 3rd Gear you mention in your signature talking about?

Bill
Old 06-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
Freedom

Bill, that wasn't Eric that showed the 3rd gear - it was Bert (hingarfi). The variation in RPM you mention may be because you have a V6 and he has an I6 (inline 6).
Old 06-21-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
BobRederick

Eric,

I am pulling the 3326 with my GMC Envoy with the same inline 6. I am using a WDH and am happy with this combo.

Last summer, I pulled it to the TM Rendesvous in Colorado Springs, East across Nebraska, West across South Dakota, then Wyoming to Yellowstone and the Tetons, then back to Arizona.

This summer, I pulled it to Las Vegas, Reno, and then spent 2 mo in Susanville, Ca. I then pulled it to Lake Tahoe and over the Sierras on Hwy 4. Hwy 4 has a lot of narrow stuff with no stripe. I got down to 20 or 30 MPH, but the scenery was so awesome that I would probably have been at that speed without the TM anyway. I never did have more than 1 or 2 cars behind me but I pull over to let them pass. Some of that road has switchbacks so tight that it seemed I could see my own tail lights. I am currently set up in Sonora, Ca.

I had one scarey moment in 2005 where oversteer made it feel like I had suddenly driven onto ice -- the steering became loose to the feel in an unexpected curve. At the time, I didn't know what oversteer meant. My wife couldn't feel anything unusual, so it was all in the steering. Once I understood oversteer, I have not had the feeling return -- possibly because I expect it AND slow down more before the turn. Use light braking in the curves.

I raised mine with the TM lift kit and pull into dry camps using 4-Low. This rig is excellent for that.

If you are going to pull the Rockies and in a hurry on a freeway, you might not be happy with this rig, but I like it the way I use it. Best wishes with yours.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:51 PM   #8
hingarfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Lisa View Post
Eric,
Your numbers for the EXT are interesting. My short wheel base has a little over 114,000 miles on it and I am getting 17.5-18.5 MPG highway (not towing) and around 15-16 towing. I cruise at 68 MPH at 2,000 RPM - I wonder why the difference? I see your engine is the same as mine but I have the 3.73 rear end. What is the 3rd Gear you mention in your signature talking about?

Bill
Bill:
As Jim stated, you may have been referring to my post. The 3rd gear I mentioned was to indicate I never use 4th gear with my 3.42 rear axle. This gives me an overall engine to rear wheels ratio of 3.42. With your 3.73 rear axle, I suspect you drive in 4th gear with an overall ratio of 0.7 x 3.73 = 2.61 This would account for your lower RPM at higher MPH. A couple of posts indicate the existence of a V6 in the TrailBlazer. I was not aware of such an engine. There is a V8 option in years later than my 2002.
Hope that clears up my situation.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:58 AM   #9
Bill & Lisa

Thanks Bert, Can you share your reasons for only driving in 3rd with the 3.42?

Freedom/Jim - sorry for the confusion. I do not have a V6, I have the I6. I also am not aware of the availability of a V6 which has been mentioned in some posts and attribute it to a typo - they meant I6 or 6 cylinder.

Bill
Old 06-22-2007, 08:45 AM   #10
Freedom

I have a GMC Jimmy with the V6 4.3L and I believe they may have put that into the Trailblazer, also. We have been happy with the V6 and when towing the 2619 TM, we still get around 15 MPG. Two places that have slowed us down to 45 are Lookout Pass on the Idaho/Montana border and that wonderful stretch leading up to the Eisenhower tunnel, west of Denver. Other than that we usually tow at 65 MPH with the tow button on and the cruise control set. Our trip last year covered over 9500 miles. I'm glad the gas was cheaper then!