TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Feedback to TrailManor
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-26-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
Tom Wandrey

Default screen room

Does anyone have a screen room for their TM.Have contacted awning company and they say they are testing a new one but don't think it will work. have the 2720SL unit.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:32 PM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

We purchased the Fiama screen room in 2004 and have used it during our last two winter travels. I believe Fiama has made some changes in the screen room since our purchase. The room is easy to set up and take down. We only set up the room if our stay will be a week or longer.

Here are some pictures of the screen room:

http://picasaweb.google.com/commodor47/ScreenRoom#

The extra room provided by the screen room is appreciated during our extended travels.
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:39 AM   #3
Doug W.

How does it handle wind? I read that you are supposed to put the awning away if there is much wind at all.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W. View Post
How does it handle wind? I read that you are supposed to put the awning away if there is much wind at all.
The awning itself does not do well in wind. You can gain a little stability by anchoring the awning with auxiliary straps. You will notice in the pictures I posted in the link (earlier post) that I use 3 ratchet tie downs to help secure the awning. The addition of the screen room (weight) also helps to keep the awning in place. You can't see it in the picture(s) but I also anchor the awning arms to the ground with tent style pegs and the bottom edge of the screen has eyelets which can be used to further anchor the screen room. But, when strong winds are forcast I do take the screen room down and retrack the awning. In windy conditions the awning material tends to flap against the 2 extension ribs and my concern is the possibility that the awning material (fabric) will tear near the edge of the outboard tube or tear loose from the side of the TM.
Albums
Old 10-30-2006, 11:54 AM   #5
PopBeavers

If there is enough wind for a child to fly a kite then the Fiamma awning will totally fail. The fabric tore for 18 inches and the metal frame has a small dent.

I had considered the Fiamma screen room, but since I no longer have a functional awning it makes no sense to add the screen room.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:53 PM   #6
Doug W.

While looking at the screen room, I noticed Fiamma sells a fabric repair kit you might look at.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:15 PM   #7
PopBeavers

I looked around the Fiamma site and found no reference to a repair kit. They also made it clear that the only thing they will sell to a non dealer is spare parts.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:43 AM   #8
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W. View Post
While looking at the screen room, I noticed Fiamma sells a fabric repair kit you might look at.
Did you happen to notice whether or not the repair kit is for the screen room fabric or for the awning fabric?
Albums
Old 10-31-2006, 09:51 PM   #9
Doug W.

Sorry for the late response, but my Internet connection started acting up last night. Some of you know the humor in this as I am a network engineer and work on a network of over 200 Cisco routers and switches. Finally got it fixed tonight by doing a hard reset of my cable modem and power cycling my router. What is a hard reset? Simply power cycling your cable or DSL modem does not correct all issues. You instead have to disconnect power for a minimum of 5 minutes to resolve some issues.

Back to the questions at hand. It is to repair the awning fabric, but I do not see why it also would not work on the screen room fabric also. Here is a link to the document I found: http://www.fiammausa.com/PDFs/usa228/usa228_full.pdf. It is the "Repair Kit Plus" in the bottom left corner of page 15. I do believe you can order it via this link since it is a part: http://www.fiamma.com/catalog/parts/parts_us_canada.htm. If you want to go straight to the ordering page, the part number for the "Repair Kit Plus" is 98655-466.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:10 AM   #10
PopBeavers

Thanks for the link to the repair kit.

It looks like it contains 3 pieces of clear PVC tape.

There is a similar product available at Camping World.

However, I just can't imagine that 2 feet of tape is going to hold a tear together that is 18 inches long. Maybe if I could find a piece of tape that was 2 feet by 2 feet squate, but certainly not a narrow strip.

I have decided that spending over $800 to repair an awning that is less than 2 years old is out of the question.

Next spring I plan on trying, for the third time, to figure out how to remove the awning fabric. Then I will cut about 2 inches off and sew in a new hem at the end and reuse the existing rope in the failed end. Then reassemble.

Has anyone ever removed the roller from the TM? I have tried twice, even looking at the instructions with nice photos from the Fiamma website. Things that are supposed to snap apart aren't and I am afraid that using too much force will break something.