TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Feedback to TrailManor
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-11-2005, 11:37 AM   #1
Bill & Lisa

Default Door Hardware

There has been discussion of a problem with the twist latch on the upper portion of the outside of the door. In just four trips with our unit the door has come open during transport. Others have shared that it is easy to have wind lock you into your unit. It is also extremely easy to be locked in by pranksters.

There are numerous ways to address this issue. One is to remove the latch and install the same hook & eye type bolt used to secure the bottom during transport--however, that doesn't stop the pranksters or the wind.

A better solution was discovered and implemented by a TM owner. He installed a locking mechanism on the interior of the unit that could be locked from the outside by a key and is a thumb turn on the inside.

Surely a custom fit mechanism of this nature could be included, keyed the same as the handle lock, on newer models. This would eliminate the need for a deadbolt on the lower half of the door. Of course, the mechanism should be made availabe for purchase for existing models.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:36 PM   #2
Bill & Lisa

Would you supply the goo gone?
Old 10-17-2005, 04:48 AM   #3
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

KISS
Took our turn button off and put it on the inside of the top door. We reach up and turn it before closing the front, and after closing the back. Put an SS screw in the hole on the out side.
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:08 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Chuck and Rose -

That's a nice idea! A lot of us, including me, have fought with this problem, and tried various Rube Goldberg solutions (you younger folks - look it up!). And your solution just never occurred to me.

I love this board - and this is one example of why!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:37 PM   #5
Bill & Lisa

Okay, what's an SS screw? I'm not checked out on hardware names--at least not that one.

The idea is a great one though. Will implement your solution the next time we get the unit home for work.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:14 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm sure that Chuck&Rose were referring to a "stainless steel" screw - always a good idea when working with aluminum.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:32 AM   #7
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

Yup, stainless steel, if the glare is too much, you can put a little white touch up paint on it. As an added note, it is very hard to change the routine in closing, so if you get the front shell down and did not latch the door first, it is possible to reach up by flexing the side and latch it.
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote