TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2005, 08:18 AM   #1
4ofusOates

Default Price Question on 2000 2720

Anyone out there know if paying $16, 000 for a 2000 2720 is good or not??? Or is this over priced? We do the final paperwork this week and if this is over priced for what we get and do not get then maybe we have some room to bargain with.
It does not have the cupboard above the sink...no outside shower...no privacy curtains in the bed areas.....it does have the awning..no stereo either. Its really basic. It looked clean inside.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Old 04-11-2005, 08:48 AM   #2
Freedom

Sounds a little high to me. We bought a loaded 2619 (2000) in November for $10,500. We did have to go to Little Rock AFB to pick it up, but that was because we bought it on eBay. There's currently a 2004 2720SL on sale right here on this site for $18,900 - $2,900 difference and four years newer. IMHO I think I'd look around! There have been several in Southern California recently.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:01 AM   #3
4ofusOates

OMG you guys are wonderful! I just called my DH and told him this. I wonder if they will come down on the price. They are the only TM dealer around us. They are called Custom RV's. I wouldn't mind the 16,000 if they totally upgraded it for us...I have no idea if they are willing to do that. I took pictures and loaded them into my computer this morning and after looking closer at it I see flaws inside that could use some upgrading. Thanks Leon!
Old 04-11-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The NADA Guide is a good one, but be aware of one complication in using it. Options.

When you call up the vehicle you are thinking about (in this case, the 2000 TM 2720), the site immediately gives you the value of the basic TM, without options. Then it asks you to click on the options that the vehicle is equipped with, and it revalues the vehicle with the options you specify.

Here is the complexity. First, it presents you with a long and generic list of options, most of which are NOT applicable to a TM. In other words, they were never available, either as standard or as options. Washer/dryer comes to mind as an extreme example, but there are some more subtle ones.

Second, the site's option list does not distinguish between things that were actually options, and things that were standard equipment on the 2000 TM 2720. For example, if you click on "Furnace 13,000-15,000 BTU", it will dutifully add the value of a furnace - even though the value has already been included in the basic unit. So if you are not careful, you end up double-counting things, which inflates the apparent value of the unit. Not so good if you are a buyer.

To the best of my knowledge - and anyone please correct me - the only factory options that were available in 2000 were:
o air conditioner 10,000 BTU
o awning
o spare tire and cover
o ampified TV antenna
Everything else was standard.

HTH

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:18 PM   #5
BobRederick

I have a suggestion for purchasing anything second hand. Find all the for sale models similar to the one you want that you can. Newspaper, internet, RV Sales places, RV Trader, Local dealers, Google searches, etc. They don't have to be identical to what you want, just similar.

Record the model number, year, options and price.

Plot these on graph paper with cost on the vertical scale and year on the x-axis or horizontal scale.

I like to put this data in a spreadsheet (Excel). First column is year, second column header is model #1, third is model #2 etc. Fill in data as you find samples for sale. Here the models are similar. One is the model you want, like 2619. Then the spreadsheet will plot these for you automatically. You can add new data at the bottom of the listing as you continue to search.

When you look at the plot, you will see a sloped line forming for each model. Next you will begin to see those that stick out... some above the line, some below. Those above cost too much. Those below are bargains.

The advantage of this is that you don't have to find models just like you want to compare. The sloped line lets you compare various years. Adjacent lines let you compare different models. It will become real obvious when you find a bargain or if the one you are considering is worth it.

Remember, these are asking prices and options are not broken out. When you find something you like, the curve will be a tremendous help in evaluating price. Next look at the details like options and condition on the particular unit you have found.

Hope this helps. I use this method for all large purchases and have for years. The '04 TM I purchased in '04 was thousands of $$ below new with only a few months of use. It was $3500 below the same unit 100 miles away.

Bob
Old 04-14-2005, 01:05 PM   #6
Freedom

On the 2000 TM in addition to the things that Bill listed there was the hanging cabinet which was $125, The rear window stone guard $139, Microwave box with drawer $125, Stove cover $56, Swing hitch $495, All vinyl floor $140 and lift kit $36. The items which Bill listed on our price sheet were as follows: A/C $ 975, (older models didn't have the roof air, ours has the A/C right beside the oven) Awning $662, Antenna and amplifier $200 but my list shows the spare tire package was standard equipment. Hope this helps figure out what it's worth.