TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2023, 01:29 PM   #1
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Default Tub drain fixture leaks!

Well I’ve got the toilet and waste valves in, fixed the leak at the grey tank, installed the vent through the wall and poured 3 gallons of water into the tub.
The new plumbing is all great, but…..

The tub is really slow to drain and there is a leak that shows up dripping through the cover that vents the fan.

So having an iced tea then I will pull that cover off and see what’s what in there.

Plumbing metastasises!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7193.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	22028  
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 01:38 PM   #2
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

So I would say that the P trap is probably clogged and everything is leaking around it. It is a slow leak.

So I’m going to disconnect the battery since everything seems to be grounded to the frame right under it and remove that P trap. Not looking forward to what I will find in it. Thank god I have rubber gloves and am wearing the oldest clothes i own!! Fingers crossed
Old 05-28-2023, 02:29 PM   #3
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Default not clogged but not designed for draining a bath!

Well I got the P trap out. Had to cut it. Was able to unscrew the connection between the trap and the grey tank, but not the one directly under the tub. The strainer/basket assembly was just turning in the tub. Everything is seized up completely. So I cut the trap out.

Going to have to find a way to undo the nut at the bottom of the basket or do what I did with the kitchen sink - cut through the basket on the tub side (carefully since this is now fibreglass I'm dealing with, not the SS sink). Most likely "door #2"!

I hate plumbing!!!

Since that 3 gallons of water was so slow to drain, I am also wondering if the vent under the bathroom sink might be blocked up, causing some of that slow draining (the leak is still something that needed to be dealt with). Mud-daubers, etc? Does anyone have any info on how fast/slowly that tub should empty?
Old 05-29-2023, 12:58 PM   #4
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Default removing tub basket lock nut

Managed to get the ABS out - in 3 pieces!! But still can't get the basket out. It has a metal lock-nut that I can't get anything to hang onto. Going to have to pick up a 2" socket and use my breaker bar. The basket just turns in the tub, but doesn't want to - still has a pretty good grip - siliconed in addition to the washer and lock-nut. Or... I might try to just replace only the P-trap and reseal the basket if I can, and see how that goes. Was hoping to replace the whole thing, but if that isn't going to happen, I will go for something less than ideal, but hopefully functional.

If anyone has any suggestions before I start again... Oh and discovered that it is 1 1/4" ABS... not the 1 1/2" assemblies that I could pick up anywhere!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_16c9.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	547.5 KB
ID:	22029  
Old 05-29-2023, 03:24 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

When you look for 1 1/4" drain pipes, go to the bathroom plumbing section. It's usually a separate section in the store. Sometimes where they display faucets & sinks. They don't keep 1 1/4" ABS with all the other ABS & PVC pipes for some reason.
Old 05-29-2023, 04:06 PM   #6
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the tip…. Still working on getting the basket out, but at least I know what I’m looking for with the abs part of everything. Pieced it back together

Trying desperately to get that basket out without damaging the tub. 🤞🏼🙏. Going to check our local second hand guy tomorrow and see what he has that might be able to handle that 2” lock-nut.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EB036FD4-90E6-4B01-B50E-9632F3DABA2E.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	22031  
Old 05-29-2023, 04:23 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac
But still can't get the basket out. It has a metal lock-nut that I can't get anything to hang onto. ... The basket just turns in the tub
Been there, tried to do that. You need two people. One sits in the tub and pushes a pair of needle-nose pliers down into the drain, around the crosspieces in the basket, to keep it from turning. The other person uses a wrench to turn the nut under the tub. A basin wrench should be the proper tool to remove the nut. You'll need one big enough to handle the nut - most basin wrenches are too small.

Were you able to remove all the things you removed, using only the access through the opening where you removed the box? I am unable to do so. There are too many water pipes in the way.

I am eager to hear what you find when you get the basket out. The rim of the basket should be sealed against the bottom of the tub with either a rubber gasket, or a layer of plumber's putty. My guess is that whatever was used is missing or faulty.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 04:59 PM   #8
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Yes I am working through that “access” hole. Got the trap out after cutting it into 3 pieces with ratcheting pipe cutters. Taped it back together for reference.

Doesn’t look like there will be room for an actual basin wrench in there for the nut. Hoping a wide jaw adjustable wrench will work. I did put a pair of needle-nose pliers in the cross of the basket and used a long screwdriver to lever them against the tub wall. That worked to loosen the nut on the abs, but I haven’t got anything wide enough to grab that lock nut securely enough to break it loose. I think if I use a nice long piece of 1x2 with the needle-nose, that should work as a solid enough lever.

There is a black washer on the underside that is falling apart and I suspect that is the source of the leak. And there’s silicone that once sealed the ring to the tub. Lots of things that could be jamming the treads up. But can’t do anything till tomorrow when I go “tool hunting”. Hopefully I can find something suitable. A deep 2” socket would be the thing for this little space.

I am hopeful. Maybe overly so, but at least I haven’t cracked the tub in the process…. Yet And I did get the toilet in and waste valves reassembled
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F796CEF9-B241-4353-A0AD-95547134C832.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	439.9 KB
ID:	22032   Click image for larger version

Name:	EEBD8677-2F65-42E9-9A9A-02B125183766.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	22033  
Old 05-29-2023, 05:03 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Keep us posted - puh-lease !

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 05:12 PM   #10
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Keep us posted - puh-lease !

Bill
Oh I will. Trust me. If it goes well tomorrow you will hear the “Eureka” from there!! I am so tired of plumbing. Between the water pump, the toilet / black tank / waste valve project, and now this, I will be very glad to see the back end of plumbing and move on to something else.

This is my “Kobiyashi Maru” (Star Trek fans!) and sooner or later, I’ll get there.