TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2023, 11:46 AM   #1
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Default How to back up a trailer and NOT get divorced!

I posted this elsewhere, but thought I'd post it here too!~
Here is what I told all my trailer customers. Backing a trailer into a campsite is not hard when you know the 5 "C's", Common understanding, Communication, Courage, Control, and Carnegie Hall

1: COMMON UNDERSTANDING. BOTH the driver and "guide" must get out and look at the place you want to put the trailer. (I start by telling the guide, "What do you think about putting the trailer here!) Then I make a mark on the ground and scuff the dirt with my shoe or place a rock where I want the tire to be. It is then the job of the guide to tell me if the back of the trailer has to turn right or left. (this is from the guide's perspective. It is up to the driver to make the proper corrections). (Additional suggestion from Bill. Our other rule is that the guide must always remain in the driver's view, as seen in one tow mirror or the other. It is the guide's responsibility to remain in view. If the guide can see the driver's face in the mirror, then all is well. If the driver loses sight of the guide, stop immediately. This gives the guide the freedom to jump to a different vantage point, usually to the other side of the trailer to see how its going there, and then pop back - or stay.)

2: COMMUNICATION Rolling down the window and yelling at each other is ineffective, disruptive, and unnecessary. If you are in a place where Cell Phones are operational use them, but if you are like us and seek out remote locals...Get a pair of FRS/GMRS radios. All communication is therefore effective, quiet, and clear.

3: Courage: You can do this, be calm make slow and deliberate moves and NEVER press an untenable position into a BAD mistake. If it's not working... Slow down, get out, and take a look, if need be, pull out (or pull straight) and try again. Sometimes I have had to make three or four attempts to get into a small or tight camping spot. Don't let others intimidate you. Be courageous, you can and will get it right, even if it takes 5 tries! Don't let other intimidate you.

4: CONTROL - Righty/Lefty: When backing up a trailer, the easiest way I know how to turn the wheel is when your guide tells you "Just a little left" is to put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and when the guide says "left" you move your hand to the left (In actuality you are turning the steering wheel right). Once you have done that a few....maybe even a few hundred times... You will get the hang of it.

5:How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice...PRACTICE! Take your trailer out to a large parking lot (Malls work great for this) and practice backing your trailer into a parking stall in an empty part of the lot. Use the steps above and practice backing it in several times...Then switch the driver/guide rolls (Both should know the other responsibilities and frustrations).

AND LASTLY - Before leaving home or a campsite, both of you should do all of the following: Complete a walk around the coach. check your campsite for items INCLUDING TRASH! Check all windows and doors are closed and locked. Check that all stabilizers are up and that all hatches and latches are secure. Cables, hoses, vents, and antennas are stowed properly. Check tow chains, and breakaway cable, are secured and the hitch is LOCKED!
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 12:06 PM   #2
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Good advice.

I keep things a little simpler. During the day, I give 3 simple instructions:
1) Make sure you can always see me in one of my mirrors. (I will stop if I don't see you.)
2) Simply yell STOP if I get too close to an obstruction. (I will then get out and decide if it is safe for me to continue.)
3) Yell GOOD once I have backed up to the desired location.

At night, we use a flashlight instead of yelling.
1) Make sure I can see you.
2) Point the flashlight at the exact spot where I want the wheel of the trailer. (The position is discussed before backing in.)
3) Wave the flashlight if I am too close to an obstruction.

These are simple enough for my kids to safely guide me in. This puts the entire responsibility on me so there is no confusion, no arguing. If they are in doubt, the only thing they need to say is STOP. If I am in any doubt, like I cannot see the helper, I stop. Staying calm without argument is very important.

I will survey the site beforehand so I am aware of obstructions. Normally the only obstructions I will have to worry about are other people or animals moving onto the site which is rare. If it is a tight spot, then I need to take more care.

I also keep in mind, professionals with semi trailers can do it, so it is possible to do it safely

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 12:34 PM   #3
jgilliam1955

Great information. My brother teaches at a trucker school. He gives the same information to the students. The hand at the bottom of the steering wheel has prevented a lot of students from failing.

Funny story, I used to drive a truck in the Army with a trailer, but it had been 30 years. I bought a 25-foot camper from a friend and knew right away it was too big for my Explorer.
I parked it in front of my house and put an ad in the paper. It sold in three days. The owner did not have a vehicle. He was going to live in it in an RV park. I agreed to deliver it.
It was an old tight RV park. I got to the lot, and all these people came out to watch me back this monster up. I got out, walked around, made a mental picture, and parked it perfectly. I got out strutting like I did this every day.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 10:38 AM   #4
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
2) Simply yell STOP if I get too close to an obstruction. (I will then get out and decide if it is safe for me to continue.)
3) Yell GOOD once I have backed up to the desired location.
Thanks for the input. Although I'm not a fan of "yelling", day or night.
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Old 04-19-2023, 03:05 PM   #5
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmikesell View Post
Thanks for the input. Although I'm not a fan of "yelling", day or night.

True. I figure one simple word won't hurt, and the TM is a short trailer. If I surveyed the site correctly, the only word I should hear is GOOD, and then we're done. If there is any further discussion beyond STOP or GOOD, I get out so we can talk. In fact, I don't even usually need the "GOOD" because I can see how far back I'm going. My spotter is mainly for anything that wanders into the site while I'm backing up.

I only had trouble backing into one spot, and there was no real communication necessary because I was not in danger of obstructions. What got me was I was trying to shift the trailer over by a couple of feet because I had it parked too close to one side. I gave up trying to shift it over and pulled out and re-backed in properly.

My Dad had a neat trick to put a few cones on the ground and follow the inside trailer wheel along the cones. While I never used cones, having a target for the inside turning wheel on the trailer helps a lot.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 10:09 AM   #6
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
True. I figure one simple word won't hurt, and the TM is a short trailer. If I surveyed the site correctly, the only word I should hear is GOOD, and then we're done. If there is any further discussion beyond STOP or GOOD, I get out so we can talk. In fact, I don't even usually need the "GOOD" because I can see how far back I'm going. My spotter is mainly for anything that wanders into the site while I'm backing up.

I only had trouble backing into one spot, and there was no real communication necessary because I was not in danger of obstructions. What got me was I was trying to shift the trailer over by a couple of feet because I had it parked too close to one side. I gave up trying to shift it over and pulled out and re-backed in properly.

My Dad had a neat trick to put a few cones on the ground and follow the inside trailer wheel along the cones. While I never used cones, having a target for the inside turning wheel on the trailer helps a lot.
It sounds like you are an experienced "Backer-Inner". My OP was for the newbs! LOL
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Old 04-25-2023, 12:17 PM   #7
JimLilly

Default One last thing

A 'little bit' is not a unit of measure. A little bit might mean 6" to me, might mean 6' to my helper. Just call out (no yelling needed) 6'. 3'. 1'. Good. Easy Peasey.
JimLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 02:07 PM   #8
rbhtrail
Site Sponsor

Smile How to back up a trailer and NOT get divorced!

Hello All, I'm licenced and experienced with Tractor Trailers. That being said I recently purchased a plug and play hitch camera so that I can avoid any misunderstanding from the guide's direction(my wife). This thing allows me to plant one tire exactly where I want it to be.

- Just place a marker on the ground, where you want the tire to be.
- then place the camera where it can clearly see the marker from a reasonable distance .
- move the tire into that place.
- The monitor is in the cab with the driver so the driver can easily see whatever corrections he has to make .
It makes things simple. Costs less than 100 bucks and worth every penny.
Get creative with it's use and see how It'll save time and frustration.
BTW , I don't have any interest in the company other than , It Works For Me...
PS It works great for aligning the hitch ball, as it was originally designed to be used for.
rbhtrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 03:28 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
I recently purchased a plug and play hitch camera
I'm not quite sure where the hitch camera is mounted. Are you putting it on a fixed ground-mount off to the side of the rig, where it can see both the tire and the marker? If it is mounted above the hitch, it won't see either.

Quote:
Just place a marker on the ground, where you want the tire to be.
Which tire (TM or tow vehicle) is moved to the mark?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 04:03 PM   #10
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhtrail View Post
Hello All, I'm licenced and experienced with Tractor Trailers. That being said I recently purchased a plug and play hitch camera so that I can avoid any misunderstanding from the guide's direction(my wife). This thing allows me to plant one tire exactly where I want it to be.

- Just place a marker on the ground, where you want the tire to be.
- then place the camera where it can clearly see the marker from a reasonable distance .
- move the tire into that place.
- The monitor is in the cab with the driver so the driver can easily see whatever corrections he has to make .
It makes things simple. Costs less than 100 bucks and worth every penny.
Get creative with it's use and see how It'll save time and frustration.
BTW , I don't have any interest in the company other than , It Works For Me...
PS It works great for aligning the hitch ball, as it was originally designed to be used for.
Do you have a link to this magical marital aid?
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah