TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2023, 04:57 PM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default A screen door re-awakening?

As many of you know, I started making screen doors for Trail Manors about 10 years ago. The pandemic pretty much killed interest, so I stopped making them at that time. Lately I have gotten a few inquiries, so I am debating whether to restart. My purpose here is to determine if there is enough serious interest in the doors to justify my initial investment in materials. I am not asking for a firm commitment, but if you read the introduction below, and feel that you would be seriously interested in purchasing a screen door for your Trailmanor, please drop me a note at [email protected]. On the other hand, if you would just like a bit more information before responding, send a note to [email protected] with the word INFO in the title. I will return a couple short info files that I have made up.

Things to know about the screen door
1. Right up front - price. As you know, the price of everything has ballooned recently. I use only top-grade materials - read expensive - that you cannot buy at a big box store. I will probably need to price the door at $150 or so, including shipping as always.
2. TM models. The screen door will fit all TMs with the standard rectangular entry door. It WILL NOT fit TMs in which the entry door has clipped (angled) upper corners. These TMs are model year 2020 and later, and possibly some that were built in 2019.
3. Configuration. This is a half door. To set it up, you open the TM's Dutch door, uncouple the two halves, and latch the upper half back against the side of the trailer. The screen door is then mounted as part of the lower half, and opens and closes as part of it. Mounting and dismounting take about 5 seconds, and require no tools. No special actions are needed to open and close the door, and no velcro, magnets, or the like are involved.
4. Build requirements. The door DOES NOT come to you as a finished item right out of the box. Over the years, Trailmanor has made changes to the entry door size and hinges, and a single standard door would not fit all TMs. A custom fit is needed. I supply a kit of all materials needed to construct your door using common hand tools (yours), and I supply detailed profusely-illustrated build instructions. You can expect the build to take half a day to a day, and once completed, you will have a door that is custom-fit to your trailer. By the way, no painting is required.
5. Schedule. Assuming there is enough interest, I think that I could start deliveries in mid-to-late June. Note that I NEVER ask for money until the kit is boxed up, in my hand, and ready to go to the Post Office.
6. Warning. If you come across a clamp-on screen door with red handles, it is not my design, and I have little knowledge and no responsibility for it. A few of these were sold many years ago, and occasionally one still shows up.
7. References, experiences, and photos: The TrailManor Owners forum has quite a bit of information on this door. You might check out several of these links as you consider purchasing one. There are a lot of good pictures, and some of the build steps have been simplified as design improvements were added - I am now on V5.2 !

June 2013
March 2015
March 2017
May 2017
Nov 2018

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 06:34 PM   #2
Shane826
TrailManor Master

I cut and pasted this on the TrailManor Fans group over on Facebook…
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 01:28 PM   #3
MattandBeth

Default Screen door

Hi Bill,

Beth and I would be interested in one of your kits. We have a 2005 2720 and I’m pretty handy (we’ll, at least my wife thinks I am!).

Cheers!’

Mats
MattandBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 05:48 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Info on the way.

Bill
Old 04-19-2023, 06:57 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Sadly (to me), interest in the screen door has been only lukewarm. Without a better response, it is now too late to fire up the AZ workshop this spring. I wish it were not true.

We will leave Arizona in a couple weeks, making the delightful trip to Maine that we do each year. A couple weeks on the road, new sights, new and old friends, spending time with our Colorado grandkids and their father, and enjoying our TM - we look forward to all of it. It will be nice to settle in at the seaside when we get there, too. I'll check in again at that time.

Bill