TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2022, 06:27 AM   #11
Sienna

Also I did contact World Friendship. I will see what they have to say.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:52 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

So it sounds like the inverter was not involved in the problem, since its output was not connected to anything. That's a good start.

I would start by disconnecting the inverter, both input and output. The manual then suggests that you disconnect the battery from the converter, plug the TM into shore power, confirm that there is 120 VAC on the converter input, and then look for 13.6 VDC on the converter output. If it is there, all seems well. If not, there are a couple fuses inside the converter - reverse battery fuses. Make sure they are good.

You need a WFCO manual, not the glamorous advertising sort of info. You will find a good WFCO 8900-series manual here, which includes trouble-shooting steps and pictures of the associated test points and fuses. If you have not read through it, you probably should. The checks are simple.

https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...ies-Manual.pdf

Good luck - let us know. And if the generator is producing 300 VAC, it is probably time to trash it. There are many possible replacements. Something like a Honda EU1000 would be a good choice.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 09:15 AM   #13
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sienna View Post
I plugged the TM into my house. Took a volt meter to the batteries ad watched the voltage increase from about 12.8 to the high 13s. Then I unplugged from my house and plugged into my generator Honda ‘em 650 into the 120 volt AC plug. Went to test voltage on batteries and it was working increasing the voltage like when I was plugged into the house. Then the voltage,dropped. So basically I had the TM plugged into a faulty generator putting out 300 volts.

I did read in WFCO 8955 literature since my post that there is voltage protection. With work and living in an home owners association. I can’t take it out until Saturday. I will update what I find then. Just want to prepare for the worst.
12.8V (at rest) is fully charged. When your voltmeter went up to 13+V, that was just an increase of what is called "surface charge" that your generator is trying to push into the battery. When the voltage "Dropped", that may have been the voltage regulator in your converter realizing that the battery is full (including surface charge) and shut down charging so that it did not over-heat your battery.

Checking the voltage at the batteries while the batteries are charging doesn't tell you much. Check the battery voltage after the battery has rested for at least 12-hours. That allows the battery to absorb the surface charge and give you the real state of charge.

How did you determine that the generator was putting out 300V?
Old 12-19-2022, 09:08 PM   #14
Sienna

I used a multimeter on the generator to see the 300 volts. I will get the trailmanor open this weekend and find out what happened.

If I have to replace thinking of going with the 8955 ad. That way if I switch to lithium I will be all set. Also looking at getting the 1400 harbor freight generator. If I can fix the old Honda em650.