TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-15-2004, 07:28 PM   #1
camperboy

Default Grey Water Tank Leak

This past weekend we had the TM in Lancaster, PA. The site had sewer hook-ups so I had left the grey valve open until shortly before I was ready to empty the terlit. I then closed it so that I could dump the grey water to flush the house out. When I went to open up the grey valve I heard water running. A look under the TM revealed to me a steady stream of water coming from the grey tank. I drained the tank and we drove home in rain. Today the rain finally stopped and I was able to get under the TM. There is a crack and a chip missiing from the area around where the drain pipe going to the valve is plumbed to the tank, on the bottom. Looks as if it may have been cracked for some time. I suspect that it got bumped at some point. Anyways, I need to repair the tank. It is, as most are, all black. The material where it is broken is white inside. I was thinking of using a fiberglass patch kit, but I'm not sure about how will it will bond to the tank. So what do you all think? Any other suggestions? I've gotten lots of great advice from this board over the past couple years! ???

Camperboy
Old 07-15-2004, 07:56 PM   #2
Windbreaker

Default Re:Grey Water Tank Leak

Cracks in tanks are not uncommon for folks who travel off road. The fiberglass patch works well but you would be advised to remove it so that you work from above not below. I've not done this repair on our TM but on older hunting trailers in the past.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:11 AM   #3
camperboy

Thanks Windbreaker, I'm going the fiberglass patch route. I'll update when finished, hopefully to mention that it is a sucess. ;D
Camperboy
Old 07-25-2004, 10:08 AM   #4
Bruce

I have a little experience in trying to remove the grey water tank. My wife dropped her wedding ring down the bathroom sink and then flushed water down the drain.
I found it was not possible to easily remove the tank. The connection from the waste line in the TM floor to the tank is solvent welded.
BTW I was able to finally get the ring out by cutting the outside drain line close to the tank and sticking my finger in the tank and retrieving the ring. A 11/2" rubber connector patched the line back up.

Bruce
Old 07-25-2004, 07:23 PM   #5
Joe

I had a similar experience a few years ago. I exited a service station that had a deep dip at the curb and scraped the bottom of the tank. By the time I got to a campground all the water had leaked out. I think it was at a WalMart that I found a 'stick' of epoxy that was supposed to work under water. It was about an inch in diameter and a couple of inches long. The directions said to massage it into a ball like you would do putty. That would mix the 2 ingredients and start the chemical action. I cleaned the tank where the hole was, began mixing the stuff per the directions and then pressed the 'glob' onto the tank. I tried to work it so that some of the 'glob' would go inside the tank. I held it in place for several minutes. I could feel the heat from the reaction but it wasn't uncomfortable. When I thought I had held it long enough, I left it to cure. I waited a few hours to use the tank and never had a problem. A year or so later when we traded the trailer it was still holding.

Good luck

Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote