TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
BCMCpig

Default Price?

Hello all, I have wanted a TM for years. I have come across a widowed lady who is selling her 2002 2720 sl. She is asking 9k for it and an old (TV)explorer as a package deal only and firm on her price. Nada has a 2002 at 5K. The TV is worh 3k max. So I figure the TM at about 6K if I can sell the TV for 3K. Is that a good price for the TM or too expensive. It is in California. As you all know the prices are all over the place, so I just don't know. She says that it was bought new and her husband died a few years later and was only used about 5 times. It has been sitting since. She doesn't know much more about it other than they got the swing away hitch, it has roof a/c and an awning. I am going to see it tomorrow. I am a rv rookie and don't know much if anything at all. Thanks in advanced for all your help.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Condition is everything. 2720SL is probably the most common TM and that is an 02 so at least 12 years old. Almost a teen.

Real question is whether it is clean, everything works, is easy to raise and fold, has no rust, and has tires less than two years old. 15s a plus.

Also when dealing with a person use NADA low retail at most since there is no warrenty or anything.

Just my opinion but a lot of people seem to think whatever they are selling is made of gold.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Fair price on the TM.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:49 AM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

NADA tends to under price TM's

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:22 AM   #5
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

The price might be OK depending on the condition.

Lots of things to check (lights, appliances, etc.), and definitely change the battery and tires before moving.

I believe that in 2002 the wall structure was mostly wood (now they use aluminum).

If it has been setting outside with little or no maintenance (ie caulking the roof) you should also check for rot. Take a #2 square screwdriver and remove some of the screws in the side walls. You could also check them by just tightening them. If it won't tighten, the wood might be rotten.

Of course if it has been inside a garage, the whole time then you should be OK. Just plan on removing and replacing all the roof caulking ASAP.

Good luck, Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Is simply a matter of trading time and effort for money. There are three 06-07 2720SLs at dealers in Florida that have been advertised since I began seriously looking in March at $12k+. Guess they are just waiting for a su^H^H customer willing to pay what they want.

OTOH I paid about 2/3 that for a well cared for example (plus extras) that had been traded in to a dealer that handled behemouths.

And on the gripping hand it has been a learning experience but one I can handle since the coachwork is sound and all of the majors work. Biggest thing was replacing all of the studs on one wheel since someone had forced the rong nuts onnit.

Really three reasons I selected a TM:
1) the transformer aspect
2) this formum and the amount of information online.
3) More space than the Vixen

Happy Hunting.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #7
moaboy

My sense is the seller is complicating the deal by selling both together. Price seems in the " ball park" but assumes both are in good condition. Is the Explorer the same year as the TM?

Time will tell. Wait it out a bit and you may lose the opportunity. If others think it is overpriced it will sit and then the owner may be motivated to lower the price as the prime selling season closes.

Would help to know if it has other options besides the swing hitch.

Was it stored inside? That would make a huge difference.

Spend time in it, and see if there are signs of water, insect or rodent damage.