TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Default Max tire/wheel size for 2003 2720

Does anyone know if you can go to a 15 inch wheel/tire on the 2003 -2720 without the lift mod? If so what would be the max size tire that would fit?

If the 15 inch does not have the clearance. What is the max 14 inch tire that will fit?
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
TM Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
Does anyone know if you can go to a 15 inch wheel/tire on the 2003 -2720 without the lift mod? If so what would be the max size tire that would fit?

If the 15 inch does not have the clearance. What is the max 14 inch tire that will fit?
14" tire to 15" tire upgrade without lift kit on a 2003 - 2720?: Probably not. However, it may be best to answer your generic questions by first looking at a specific 2003 - 2720 and seeing what you have to work with. Sounds like you may have found one!

I know that the TM Dealer, The Car Show Inc., in Colorado Springs, CO charges about $215 to install the 2.5" lift kit. Many TM Owners have installed the lift kit themselves.

Use the "search" feature to find posts on these topics. There are many that already address these questions - at least to the degree to give you some generic answers. And by reading them you may discover additional issues you were not aware of that may impact your tire choices (i.e. if I upgrade to 15" tires, will my TM with a/c fit into my garage?).
Thetford SmartTote 18LX
-------------------------------------------------------
2005 F150 5.4l 3V Triton V8; Maxxis Bravo H/T-770
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
RideControl by Air Lift
TM Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

It would be nice if there were a simple yes/no answer. But to continue TMPilot's response, tires from different manufactuers (and even different lines of tires from the same manuafacturer) have different dimensions. In other words, a 14-inch tire from one manufactuer won't have the same dimensions as a 14-inch tire from another. You need to know what the dimensions are for the tires you are considering. Once you know the dimensions, there are two rules of thumb to use.

1. The width of the new tires should not exceed the width of the old ones. The loaded width of a tire is part of its specification, and can be found online for the tire you are considering. This is a rule of thumb, and you might have 1/4 inch to play with, but not much more than that.

2. According to Dexter Axle, who makes the wheel and axle assembly for TMs, there should be 3 inches of clearance above the tire - between the tread and the wheel well liner - when the trailer is loaded. If you put on a larger tire, its loaded radius will likely increase, which decreases the clearance you have above the tire. But the difference between a 14-inch Marathon and a 15-inch Marathon, for example, is surprisingly small. Again, loaded radius is a spec that you can look up for the tires you are considering. This rule of thumb appears to have a lot of flexibility, since the max deflection of the suspension is only an inch or so (again, according to Dexter). So, many of us (including me) run with only 2 inches of clearance, and are quite happy.

So - it is time to get out your ruler, do some measuring, and then get on line. Hope this helps.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Correct we have TM lined up. Looks very nice via pictures and per the conversation with the owner. It sound like it will work very well for us. For the age of the camper it seems like it's above average condition. Price seems to be fare. As always, i'm sure if I waited there would be a better deal. But were committed to the seller based on a verbal agreement and the owner has it on hold until we get there. Only issue, I do need to change all 3 tires, only because the're to old for my liking. Been there with old tires popping on a trip and taking out the sewage drains.

So in thinking about tires. Figured I would do some research, as to what options I have that could increase the tire load rating. I was hoping someone already knew the answers. It sound like I need to do some measuring? Thanks for the dexter recommend 3" clearance info.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
TM Pilot

tentcamper,

Are you planning on replacing the tires to get the TM home or after the fact?

First thing is to find out what rims you have on the TM. The TM owner's manual doesn't have any info on rims. You need to look on the rim itself for it's size and its limitations. There will be a stamp somewhere on the rim. If you plan on using the rims currently on the trailer you will have to limit your tire selection to the rim's size and limitations and the measurements of your wheelwell.

For example, on my 07 TM 2619 my factory rims are 14"x6" with a weight limitation of 1870lbs. I [safely; conservatively] assume that the rim also has a limitation of 50psi. I currently have Goodyear Marathons ST215/75R14 14" tires (load range C: 1870lbs @50psi).
With that in mind, here are my 3 options for my specific TM:

1. Use the factory 14" rims (1870lbs @50psi) with 14" tires in load range C (1870lbs @50psi).
2. Upgrade to non-factory 14" rims (2000+ @65psi) with 14" tires in load range D (2000+ @65psi).
3. Upgrade to 15" rims & tires and install lift kit (required on my TM).

If I choose:

1. I will use Maxxis M8008 ST225/75R14 (load range C). If I wanted a bias tire I would choose Kenda Loadstar K550 ST215/75D14 (load range C).
2. I will use Kenda Karrier KR03 ST205/75R14 (8ply; load range D). (Note: There are only a few products offered for a 14" load range D tire. Choices are very limited!)
3. Haven't made a decision about this option yet. However, if I needed to replace the factory rims, I would probably upgrade from option 1 to 3 and skip 2 unless the TM couldn't fit in the barn. Haven't figured out the specific measurements yet. But by ballparking it last week, if I go with the 2.5" lift kit and 15" tires, I will have probably have, at best, less than 1/2" to spare between the A/C unit and the 7' opening of my barn.

Hope this helps.
Thetford SmartTote 18LX
RideControl by Air Lift
Old 01-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM Pilot View Post
With that in mind, here are my 3 options for my specific TM:

1. Use the factory 14" rims (1870lbs @50psi) with 14" tires in load range C (1870lbs @50psi).
2. Upgrade to non-factory 14" rims (2000+ @65psi) with 14" tires in load range D (2000+ @65psi).
3. Upgrade to 15" rims & tires and install lift kit (required on my TM).
TMPilot - FYI, there's no reason for your option #2. Some other folks have thought this as well, so I just want to point this out. The rims are not the problem, the tires are. The object here is to get a tire with a higher weight rating to reduce tire failures, and if you can do that in a 14" tire (as I have done before), then it will fit on your existing 14" rim. If such a beast existed, you could put a 14" 5,000-lb rated tire on those rims. You couldn't carry 5,000 lbs because the rims would be your limiting factor, but it would give a huge safety margin with your tires.

The only circumstance in which you should be replacing your rims is to put a 15" tire on there, such as your option #3. Having already tried a 14" tire with a high weight capacity (Kumho 857's) and experienced blowouts in both tires, that's what I would recommend. After those bad experiences, like others here, I upgraded to 15" rims/tires and haven't had a problem since.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

That's my thoughts regarding the rims. I'm not increasing the weight being carried just not as close to maxing out the tires.

I will pull it back with the old tires. It will be slow going. I would stop and get tires, but it seems every time I go to get the tires I want. It seems the tire shop has to order them and I do want to measure to see if I can go with a 15. I will not be pulling it back with a WDH, so I won't have all extra weight being distributed to the trailer tires and from the dips in the road being applied to the trailer axle from the WDH.

Just my thoughts. I would only use radials. Had my fill of bias ply tires and feel radials are much safer. I have had very good success with the Marathon tires and we do a lot of miles on our trips and we're hard on them traveling on a lot of poor quality roads. The thing I like with radials, is you can drive for hours and stop and when you feel the tires there the same temperature as the TV tires. The bias ply tires would almost burn. Also, the feel of pulling bias ply there is a secondary response feel when entering and exiting curves, where with radials it like the trailer is on rails.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #8
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Dave were you able to go to 15" without the lift kit?
Old 01-16-2014, 11:21 PM   #9
TM Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
TMPilot - FYI, there's no reason for your option #2. Some other folks have thought this as well, so I just want to point this out. The rims are not the problem, the tires are. The object here is to get a tire with a higher weight rating to reduce tire failures, and if you can do that in a 14" tire (as I have done before), then it will fit on your existing 14" rim. If such a beast existed, you could put a 14" 5,000-lb rated tire on those rims. You couldn't carry 5,000 lbs because the rims would be your limiting factor, but it would give a huge safety margin with your tires.

The only circumstance in which you should be replacing your rims is to put a 15" tire on there, such as your option #3. Having already tried a 14" tire with a high weight capacity (Kumho 857's) and experienced blowouts in both tires, that's what I would recommend. After those bad experiences, like others here, I upgraded to 15" rims/tires and haven't had a problem since.

Dave
Dave,

In addition to weight (1870lbs), I consider pressure (50psi) to be a limiting factor on my TM's factory 14" rims. I haven't seen any documentation from Trailmanor or markings on my factory rims that state otherwise. I am also not aware of any 14" rim made by any manufacturer that is limited to 1870lbs yet is also rated to 65psi. Therefore, I'm not comfortable being a test pilot and fitting a 14" load rating D tire filled to 65psi on a rim that is, most likely, limited to 50psi. In my opinion, that's not safe.

No rim manufacturer is going to authorize one to fill their rims over the maximum pressure for the rim. That a tire mounted on that rim can handle a higher pressure is irrelevant. Safety limits itself to the most restrictive component.

Here is one example from a rim manufacturer (see pg. 10): http://www.accuridecorp.com/files/20...4-06-22-12.pdf

Here is one example from a tire manufacturer: http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...plications.pdf

Here is an example from Dexter Axle: http://www.dexteraxle.com/i/u/614960..._and_Tires.pdf

Rim, tire, and axle manufactures all agree that one should not fill a rim (a.k.a. wheel) beyond its maximum pressure.

Lots of TM owners with 14" rims/tires have never blown their tires. Some with 15" rims/tires have blown theirs.
Did you have your 14" Kuhmo's mounted on your TM factory 14" rims or mounted on aftermarket 14" rims when they both blew out 3 years later? What was the maximum psi limitation for your rims? Just curious.

Bruce
Thetford SmartTote 18LX
RideControl by Air Lift
Old 01-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #10
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I could be wrong, but from the pictures I have seen it looks like the rims are dexter "Dexstar rims'?

What I see online, they are rated for 65 psi and 2,040 load. But there should be a sticker or stamping on the rim for the max load and psi.

Here is a link to the rim that I referenced. http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wh...r/AM20352.html