TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
Redhawk

Default Parking on a piece of wood when in storage

I always park the TM on a piece of 2x12 redwood when it's in the storage yard (under the tires only) but noticed that I'm about the only one that does among hundreds of TT's. I'll still do it in the winter, but wondering if it's necessary in the summer time? What's everyone else doing when parking on dirt? thanks!
Old 08-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
brulaz

I try to have the wheels on gravel or sand for drainage. When parking on grass for any length of time, I'll put down those open plastic leveling blocks.

No idea whether this is important or not.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
rumbleweed

During winter storage, I have a set of four aluminum jack screws. I add them under the frame near the four corners ( near scissor jacks ) and take about 80% of the weight off the tires.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
I always park the TM on a piece of 2x12 redwood when it's in the storage yard (under the tires only) but noticed that I'm about the only one that does among hundreds of TT's. I'll still do it in the winter, but wondering if it's necessary in the summer time? What's everyone else doing when parking on dirt? thanks!
I found this on another web site!

5. How do I store my vehicle without removing the tires?
Ideally, a vehicle in storage should be placed on blocks to remove all weight from the tires. If the vehicle cannot be put on blocks, follow these steps for tire protection:

Completely unload the vehicle so that minimum weight will be placed on the tires
Inflate tires to recommended operating pressure plus 25%. Ensure that the rim manufacturer’s inflation capacity is not exceeded
Be sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well drained and reasonably level
Avoid moving the vehicle during extremely cold weather
Move the vehicle at least every three months to prevent ozone cracking in the tire bulge area, as well as "flat-spotting" from the prolonged strain of sidewall and tread deflection
Adjust inflation before putting the vehicle back into service

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Joseph

Default Same here . . .

Don't know if it helps but I do the same thing. No red wood in Georgia but the TM sits on 2x8's to keep the tires off the ground. I have thought about it. Seems kinda strange as tires are meant to roll on dirt and grass too, but I do it anyway....
Old 08-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Redhawk

Default I found this...

Storage surface areas can cause your tires to age prematurely. You don't want to leave the tires in contact to any heat producing material or petroleum based material like asphalt. You also don't want them exposed to constant cold or moisture, like sitting on the frozen ground. The wood acts as a barrier between the tires and the ground surface they are being stored on.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
PopBeavers

I keep my TM in the garage. The winter temperature is probably around 40-45F. The floor is smooth concrete. I have taken some of the weight off of the tires by using the corner jacks.

In this environment I see no value for putting wood under the tires.

Assuming that the surface has the potential to suck lubricants out of the tires, it does make me wonder which surface sucks the lubricants out faster, wood or concrete?
Old 08-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Joseph

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
Storage surface areas can cause your tires to age prematurely. You don't want to leave the tires in contact to any heat producing material or petroleum based material like asphalt. You also don't want them exposed to constant cold or moisture, like sitting on the frozen ground. The wood acts as a barrier between the tires and the ground surface they are being stored on.
Thanks! Now I have several very good reasons...
Old 08-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
Scott O

Even in the garage, I park our TM with the wheels off the ground. It is possible to accomplish this using only the tongue and corner jacks.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
TexasCamper

Default Storing TM elevated using tongue jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
Even in the garage, I park our TM with the wheels off the ground. It is possible to accomplish this using only the tongue and corner jacks.
Yes, this is true, but take the wheel off and rest the tongue jack on something else. I flattened my wheel when I stored the TM with its weight on the wheel.

see this discussion thread:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=12416

John
TV#1: 2008 Chrysler Town & Country (3.8L Touring w/ tow package, WDH) (*retired 2018*)
TV#2: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder (w/ tow package, WDH)
TV#3: 2018 Ford F150 (w/ tow package, WDH)
TexasCamper is offline   Reply With Quote