TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2023, 07:17 AM   #1
MrGallegos

Default How long to leave Propane tank on and unattended?

What is the best practice for leaving the propane tank on and then being unattended? For example, you set up camp or set up at home, turn on propane, plug in to electric power, etc. use whatever you use, etc. then leave for several hours. Is it better (safer) to turn off the propane if the trailer will be unoccupied more than 6 hours? 8 hours? X hours?

Maybe I worry too much, but I thought what happens when we are gone and the gas alarm goes off, no one will be there to hear it and turn off the gas at the tank.
Old 04-04-2023, 09:47 AM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I've never heard of any recommended precautions for turning off the propane when you leave. It's similar in principle to natural gas or propane feeding your house -- you don't turn the gas off there every time you leave.

Would it be safer to do that? Maybe, certainly if you have a leak anyway, in which case you definitely wouldn't want it on when you're there!

Some folks who are dry camping for extended periods run their fridge on propane, and so their propane has to stay on -- could be for weeks or months.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:44 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGallegos View Post
What is the best practice for leaving the propane tank on and then being unattended? For example, you set up camp or set up at home, turn on propane, plug in to electric power, etc. use whatever you use, etc. then leave for several hours. Is it better (safer) to turn off the propane if the trailer will be unoccupied more than 6 hours? 8 hours? X hours?

Maybe I worry too much, but I thought what happens when we are gone and the gas alarm goes off, no one will be there to hear it and turn off the gas at the tank.
Propane gas is very heavy. If you have a propane leak in your trailer, the gas will sink to the floor and leak out under the door or anywhere else. Unlike in a boat. If you have a propane leak in a boat, the gas settles to the bottom of the bilge and creates the potential for quite an explosion (I have seen a few).

Therefore, there are companies that make electronic solenoids that shut off the propane with the flick of a switch in the galley. I had one on my yacht for many years. We only turned on the propane if we were going to use it and then turned it off when we were done.

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Sole...s%2C183&sr=8-2
Old 04-06-2023, 07:15 AM   #4
mickmanor

Default If you have rubber hoses,

and squirrels are in the area, the squirrels will calculate the X time
as to when they start chewing on the rubber hoses.

Happy Camping!
mickmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 10:28 AM   #5
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmanor View Post
and squirrels are in the area, the squirrels will calculate the X time
as to when they start chewing on the rubber hoses.

Happy Camping!
The sell propane hoses surrounded by a metal stainless steel sheath that I think helps address this problem.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 03:49 PM   #6
mickmanor

Default Right,

I ended up buying 2 new stainless hoses, a new regulator, and a refill of propane.

The squirrels got me.
mickmanor is offline   Reply With Quote