TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2023, 08:16 PM   #1
Stephene1219

Default Radio not powering UP

I have checked the breakers and the Radio fuse, which is #9 mow and they are good. I have checked all the other outlets, and the various electrical systems and they all work. Any idea of what might be going on
Stephene1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 04:33 AM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Have you checked the back of the radio? The back of my radio has an additional blade fuse. You would need to remove the radio in order to access that fuse.
Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:06 AM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

What else is on the circuit with the radio? Check that specifically to see if whatever that is works. If it doesn't, then I'd next check the connection of that branch to the 12-volt distribution panel. Possible that wire may have broken free or become lose.

Following on Dick's suggestion, when you check the back of the radio and find the connections are intact, the next step would be to check the voltage at those wires. If there's ~12 volts there, then it's the radio.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:25 AM   #4
Stephene1219

I worked a few weeks with TM to figure out the breakers and fuses since the current wiring diagram in the manual is incorrect. I now have an accurate map of what is connect to all the breakers and fuses. In the new TM's they have added fuse 9 which only has the radio on it. I have already checked the wiring going into fuse 9 and it is tight. How do you take the radio out? Do you pry the face plat off? In try to see how to remove it, I have found it is nit secured tightly. You can easily move it side to side with your hand.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:40 PM   #5
oldstick
TrailManor Master

I have one more possibility, because I ran into a problem like this before on our older 2003 model. Not sure how old yours is.

But when I had the battery connected and that battery went bad, it would affect some of the lower power items like the radio and some of the monitor panels i.e. holding tank indicators and such. This would happen even when the camper was connected to shore power because those components were on a separate circuit in the panel that used the battery as sort of a filter to protect from power spikes. Let the battery go bad and those items would go out. Disconnect the bad battery and everything worked fine connected to shore power. Not sure if this could still be an issue with newer models.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:41 PM   #6
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephene1219 View Post
. . .How do you take the radio out? Do you pry the face plat off? In try to see how to remove it, I have found it is nit secured tightly. You can easily move it side to side with your hand.
Hopefully your radio can be removed using the info in this thread https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ighlight=radio Post #3 has a thumbnail that may help.
Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 03:37 PM   #7
Stephene1219

I found the long metal "keys" as they are called that slip into a notch on each side to disengage the clips hold the radio in place. The fuse was good and I was get 13.1 v at the wire harness. What it ended up being was the wire harness had work loosed and pins were not fully engaged. Once I reset the wire harness presto. I believe the cause it how loose the metal cabinet you slide the radio into is. It moves up and about 1/8" but sideways is can be moved 1/4" each way. So as you are driving the radio is bouncing around. Tomorrow I will look how I can make the metal caninet stationary.
Old 01-07-2023, 04:18 PM   #8
mickmanor

Default And, you can put a 20" Sceptre tv($86 amaz)

on the counter. Connect an audio wire to radio aux input, and it will sound
surprisingly good.
mickmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 02:07 PM   #9
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephene1219 View Post
I found the long metal "keys" as they are called that slip into a notch on each side to disengage the clips hold the radio in place. The fuse was good and I was get 13.1 v at the wire harness. What it ended up being was the wire harness had work loosed and pins were not fully engaged. Once I reset the wire harness presto. I believe the cause it how loose the metal cabinet you slide the radio into is. It moves up and about 1/8" but sideways is can be moved 1/4" each way. So as you are driving the radio is bouncing around. Tomorrow I will look how I can make the metal caninet stationary.
You nailed the problem. Maybe find some kind of extra shim materials to tighten and limit the movements of the radio box within the metal chassis holder. And maybe some kind of heavy duty tape around the back of the harness to help hold it in place. Then reattach the face plate and hopefully done.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote