TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-17-2005, 04:45 PM   #1
cmhansontx

Default Use regular mattress??

Can you replace the foam mattress on the king size beds with a regular mattress ( I like my sleeping comfort)
Old 04-17-2005, 06:11 PM   #2
Texasgranny

I don't think that would work. The specs for the trailer mattress say it is 78 X 78. If I am correct, the king size mattress you have at home is 78 X 80. Also, there is not enough space for the thickness of an innerspring matters. You would not be able to close the TM down. One option might be a mattress such as "Sleep number" which could be deflated for closing and inflated to your desired firmness.

On a personal note, I found the standard mattress in the TM to be much more firm than I wanted, so I added an egg crate on top of the mattress for more softness.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:50 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

cm -

Like Texas Granny, we have found egg crate on the OEM mattress to be a wonderful thing! We sleep better on it than on our $1000 mattress at home. Of course, our camping usually involves some strong exercise (usually hiking) during the day, and some fair amount of good wine with a wonderful full supper. Who wouldn't sleep well? So it depends on how sleepy your day makes you, as much as the "quality" of your mattress.

On the other hand, I am still trying to identify the half-thickness innerspring mattress that I saw at the Providence (RI) RV show in the fall of 2001. It wasn't in a TM - I swear it was in a Jayco but nothing on the Jayco web site mentions it. To me, this would be the ideal solution - real mattress, but thin enough so the TM will fold. It may have been a special that the local Jayco dealer flopped down in place of the OEM foam slab - smart dealer! Anyone else seen this?

Texas Granny is exactly right. A "real" mattress like your at-home bed is too thick - the TM won't close.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 10:11 PM   #4
BobRederick

I have put a 1 3/4" memory foam pad on top of the OEM mattress in my 3326King. I love the mattress and would far rather sleep there than in the house. I got it for $60 on www.overstock.com. I do have a problem closing down with it. The rear latches are about 1/2" from closing and it takes a struggle to get the top down and latch closed at the same time. I find the 2 lamps in the rear bedroom put indents in the memory foam, so they are the primary culprits.

According to my measurements, one could say that 1 1/4" memory foam would work and the top would close properly and easily.

I have been wondering if replacing the OEM mattress with memory foam wouldn't be a better idea. Has anyone tried this? Can the mattress cover be disassembled? I am pretty sure the OEM thickness would be sufficient to get full benefit from the memory foam. The Overstock.com mattresses are about 6" more narrow than the TM king bed.

Bob
Old 04-18-2005, 06:04 AM   #5
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Question What's the exact complaint with the TM mattress?

As one who thinks the TM mattress all by itself is super comfy, these periodic generalized grumblings about the TM mattress have me rather baffled. Not trying to defend TM here but exactly what is/are the problem(s) with the comfortability of the mattress that TM provides?

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:50 AM   #6
Queeniereads

Frankly, after sleeping on an air bed for many years, the TM bed is not comfortalbe for us. We added a one and a half inch memory foam and a pillowtop pad. It's fine now even thought closing down is a bit tight. You realy do not have much extra room there. Queeniereads aka Judi
Old 04-18-2005, 07:15 AM   #7
BobRederick

Ray

I wouldn't call my comments "grumblings". Instead, I personally find it to be a great TM experience enhancer!

DW has problems getting sore at pressure points and she is very fussy about her bed. A few nights on the TM mattress aren't too bad but then she begins to hurt. Memory foam is a tremendous product that I found via this forum and tried. I find it so comfortable that I flop down on it and just lay there in any position enjoying it. It is truly different. In addition, 2 others I know of just purchased it both had results of eliminating back and shoulder pain.

The question here is how is the best way to get full benefit from this product and still close the top down. For example, I am sure it would be defeating to put a tough, tight fabric over the top. The benefit is from being able to push into it in relatively small areas of the body.

I have no connection with this product or any vendors other than being a user.

Bob
Old 04-18-2005, 04:46 PM   #8
Walt Spangler

we have a 2720 SL, with a Queen size mattress and the wife installed a feather mattress over it. Very comfortable sleeping. Well, you guessed it.. theTM would not fold, thus making,unmaking bed necessary
We found a company that cut it in half [from 4" to 2" thickness]--cost $6.00.
We clippedthe feather mattress to the foam and slid the whole thing into the cover and install it in the TM. This solved the "making-unmaking"
problem. It seems to be very comfortable. Will report after spending sundry nights on it.
The feather mattress was purchased at our local department store on sale..cost about $ 40.00.
Walt
Old 05-20-2005, 12:33 PM   #9
camp2canoe

I have a hip problem requiring us to use a waterbed at home but on our 2619 we pull off the rear mattress before unfolding the bath and just stack the front berth with both mattresses. Advantages are that it requires no additional expenditure, creates no closing problem, you can store wet or dirty items in the rear berth area and, best of all, it sleeps great! CAMP2CANOE
Old 06-03-2005, 09:17 AM   #10
Buzzardrump

There is a company that can custom make the Tempur-pedic memory foam mattresses for you. They claim they can make any size or shape and deliver in about 2-3 weeks. Specifically state for boats and rvs...might be worth looking into. I have their bed at home and love it...

http://www.savvysleeper.com/TempurpedicMattresses/