TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2016, 08:27 AM   #1
byrontx

Default Sand?

We camp at the beach. Only about three hour drive from our house is the Padre Island National Seashore with 70 miles of undeveloped beach.

I am concerned that the blown sand might be an issue with the moving parts of the trailer. Your input would be appreciated.
byrontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:50 PM   #2
fourteener

ByronTX,

I worked at a mid-western state recreation area (Lake McConaughy SRA in Nebraska) that has approx. 105 miles of sand beaches (if the water is at the right elevation). We allowed primitive/undeveloped camping pretty much everywhere on the beach. I've spent some time in the vehicle/farm equipment maintenance world, and when I first started figured the sand was going to be a huge pain,,,,but was pleasantly surprised. And for the record, we did have a lot of wind blown sand, and it was super fine 'sugar sand.' In fact one winter I was able to witness a picnic table frame be cut in half, both sides) by wind blown sand approx. 8" off the surface of the beach. Although, the winter winds were the worst. For the record we had over 2,000 campers on the beach on multiple holiday weekends.

Here's what I found, in general sand will find a way to get everywhere, even where you least expect it, but it seems to be pretty easy to clean up with a good vacuum.

Parts that showed no real issue with sand (No Problems),,,and I really expected them to give us issues: U-Joints, Sealed Bearing, etc.

Parts that were affected (had issues): windshields (constant sand blasting), electric motor armatures (think cheap generators), lawn mower blades, and human posterior cracks! No seriously, the sand didn't really bother the vehicles and campers too bad.

I think your biggest concern will be salt water corrosion on all exposed metal parts.

Wait to see how others chime in, but my experience was that sand is pretty much a non-issue to vehicles/campers (in general). That is, unless you get stuck in it.
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Upgrades - Lift Kit with 15" Tires/Rims/Spare & Rack,
Mud Flaps, Blue Tote Caddy, WDH Bar Holders,
Custom Outside/Chassis-mounted Tool Box,
Stove Cover, Bathroom Tension Self,
Outside Speakers, Fresh H2O Deck Plate,
100 Watt Portable Solar Panel, Shower Mod,
Over-wall TV mount - - (The fun never ends :-)
fourteener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #3
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I second the sea salt in the air. Need to wash it down ASAP after leaving the beach along with any other metal items that were outside and exposed. If you are at a site with water hookups spray the camper down a few hours before leaving and allowing time for it to dry.

If it was windy and sand blowing. I wipe my hitch ball, coupler and WDH sockets clean and apply new grease when leaving.

Don't forget the AC unit, salt eats the fins very quickly.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourteener View Post
ByronTX,

I worked at a mid-western state recreation area (Lake McConaughy SRA in Nebraska) that has approx. 105 miles of sand beaches (if the water is at the right elevation). We allowed primitive/undeveloped camping pretty much everywhere on the beach. I've spent some time in the vehicle/farm equipment maintenance world, and when I first started figured the sand was going to be a huge pain,,,,but was pleasantly surprised. And for the record, we did have a lot of wind blown sand, and it was super fine 'sugar sand.' In fact one winter I was able to witness a picnic table frame be cut in half, both sides) by wind blown sand approx. 8" off the surface of the beach. Although, the winter winds were the worst. For the record we had over 2,000 campers on the beach on multiple holiday weekends.

Here's what I found, in general sand will find a way to get everywhere, even where you least expect it, but it seems to be pretty easy to clean up with a good vacuum.

Parts that showed no real issue with sand (No Problems),,,and I really expected them to give us issues: U-Joints, Sealed Bearing, etc.

Parts that were affected (had issues): windshields (constant sand blasting), electric motor armatures (think cheap generators), lawn mower blades, and human posterior cracks! No seriously, the sand didn't really bother the vehicles and campers too bad.

I think your biggest concern will be salt water corrosion on all exposed metal parts.

Wait to see how others chime in, but my experience was that sand is pretty much a non-issue to vehicles/campers (in general). That is, unless you get stuck in it.
I would agree with the above for any camper. No issue to wheel bearings unless submerged in water with sand and/or salt involved. Blown sand on the leveling or tongue jacks can be rinsed thoroughly with fresh water and lubricated periodically.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:27 PM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Part of the reason I live 80 miles from the coast where I grew up is that I got tired of watching things rust.

Every time I go to the beach I was everything on the vehicle and spend as much time with a pressure spray under the car as on top. Will admit to being a fanatic but have opened trunks on beach cars and seen the whole axle.