TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-07-2005, 07:40 AM   #1
rockerga

Default Maxxair After Market Vent covers?

Does anybody have any experience with any model (or brand if others) of these (specify which one if you do) and any feedback regarding their effectiveness in the TM. I am wondering if this accessory would assist in keeping condensation under normal conditions (Non A/C) down in the unit and additionally when the heater is use. I like the idea but does it work....?

The link below is to Camping World and lists the different models.

http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...ywords=maxxair
Old 12-07-2005, 08:18 AM   #2
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

Default look at this post

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...highlight=vent
Old 12-07-2005, 08:40 AM   #3
Bill & Lisa

Exclamation

I have one of the MaxxAir vent covers installed over my vent with the fan in it (forget the name of the fan at this point but no matter). The purpose for installing the cover was to be able to use the fan even if it was raining out. I suppose if you ran the fan all night it would help circulate hot air out of the top of the TM and replace it with cool (cold) air drawn in through the seams but at this time of year that is not a great idea and the fan is kind of noisy for sleeping. DW cracks the window in the door slightly and it helps but we still get some condensation on the windows. One idea I saw in anther thread that I may try next time is to run the a/c in the heat position. Again this may be too noisy but has the potential to circulate warm air into the TM and might help keep the condensation down. We tend to use a ceramic heater so we use Campground A/C vice our propane and the heat strip in the a/c unit would also not use up our resources but those of the campground. We do set the propane heater thermostat a couple degrees below where the ceramic heater is set incase the ceramic heater can not maintain the temperature. That and the propane heater, or more specifically the blower is also loud and wakes both of us up if it turns on in the middle of the night. There may be a problem using the heat strip with respect to exceeding 30Amps through the shore power cable as the a/c and the ceramic heater together will take up a large chunk of the avialable power.
One other problem I encountered was trying to mount the vent cover. I ended up having the dealer do it but will pass on his secret here. The problem is in securing the cover to the combing around the vent. On my 3023 that vent is right next to the roof mounted air conditioner and there is very little room (4-5 inches)to fit a drill in to drill the holes you need to put through the side of the combing. I did not have a drill with an angle adjustable head, and could not drive the screws through with a little screw driver without the starter holes predrilled. THe dealer used a soldering iron with a bent tip to "melt" the holes through the side of the vent combing/lip to which the installed vent cover is mounted and then we could attache the mounting brackets for the maxx air vent cover with screws through the melted holes. pretty smart!
Anyway, IMHO the vent covers allow you to open the vent/operate the fan even if it is raining out without getting water on your floor but do not do anything for reducing condensation. I haven't tried just opening the vent and leaving the fan off but as heat rises, venting the hot air outside would increase the workload of what ever you are using to heat your TM.
Bill