TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Gerry 1950
BannedUsers

Exclamation Carrier AirV Ceiling Assembly Recall

The heating element (5600bth/h) in the 99-00469-02 ceiling assembly poses a potential fire hazard. This includes models produced from May, 2007 to present. The first two numbers in your serial number is the week of production and the next two are the year. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Campaign ID Number 09E053000. I talked to Carrier today and their recommendation is to remove the four screws holding the ceiling grill and unplug the electrical connection to the heater strip at the air sweep motor assembly or just don't turn the Master Control to the Heat position. At this point they have not come up with a solution. You can view the original post at:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...rue&refurl=rss

Gerry 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Thanks for posting this! I need to remember NOT to use the heat (which we have on every trip we've taken so far, at one point or another).

I guess I get to try out the furnace, now. And now I have an excuse to install the digital thermostat
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
lnussbau

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
Thanks for posting this! I need to remember NOT to use the heat (which we have on every trip we've taken so far, at one point or another).

I guess I get to try out the furnace, now. And now I have an excuse to install the digital thermostat
Rather than use the furnace or the heater in the A/C, we have a small electric heater we plug in (so long as we have shore power, obviously), which is very quiet and even on low heat does the job well, even when overnight temps get into the 30s.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Default Carrier AirV Ceiling Assembly Recall Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry 1950 View Post
The heating element (5600bth/h) in the 99-00469-02 ceiling assembly poses a potential fire hazard. This includes models produced from May, 2007 to present. The first two numbers in your serial number is the week of production and the next two are the year. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Campaign ID Number 09E053000. I talked to Carrier today and their recommendation is to remove the four screws holding the ceiling grill and unplug the electrical connection to the heater strip at the air sweep motor assembly or just don't turn the Master Control to the Heat position. At this point they have not come up with a solution. You can view the original post at:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...rue&refurl=rss

We received the attached letter from Carrier today. Nothing yet from TrailManor. Since our TM is relatively new and I sent the product registration directly to Carrier, I suspect they need that info or they do not know where to send the notice.

I expect TM is searching their delivery data base to give Carrier the TM owners info.

In summary, Carrier wants us to disconnect the existing heater and they will have a revised heater assembly ready for replacement by December 15, 2009. We need to contact them after 12/15 at (877) 584-7059 or contact a Carrier service center to obtain the retrofit. I suspect the TM dealers will also be involved.

Jerry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Carrier1.pdf (993.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: pdf Carrier2.pdf (596.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: pdf Carrier3.pdf (938.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: pdf Carrier4.pdf (648.9 KB, 69 views)
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekenSpider View Post

In summary, Carrier wants us to disconnect the existing heater and they will have a revised heater assembly ready for replacement by December 15, 2009. We need to contact them after 12/15 at (877) 584-7059 or contact a Carrier service center to obtain the retrofit. I suspect the TM dealers will also be involved.

Jerry
Today, after several e-mails to Carrier, we have finally received the replacement heater assembly. I will pull the old one out next weekend, compare them and report the difference, if any. I'm not certain I will install the new one unless it's obvious they have changed something in a meaningful way.

I have never received a notice from TM about the recall and my dealer has not received one either.

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:43 AM   #6
rjlwork

I haven't received any notice either. I asked the rep at the rv show about this and he didn't know about it and said he'd have to check it out. Maybe I need to get with Carrier too. Won't be able to work on it till spring though. We had 15" of snow this weekend and the best we could do is get the mini cleared off! Expecting another 6-8" between now and Wednesday---I am so through with this!

Judy Workman
2010 Trailmini
2007 Buick Rendezvous
Old 02-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
Scott O

Always good to be proactive. I'm not sure what TM does about recalls of equipment they use. I know there was no notice from them about the Chinese wheel stem recall of last year. Sounds like we are sorta on our own to learn about and deal with these sort of problems. That is one reason why this forum is so valuable...
Old 02-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
Always good to be proactive. I'm not sure what TM does about recalls of equipment they use. I know there was no notice from them about the Chinese wheel stem recall of last year. Sounds like we are sorta on our own to learn about and deal with these sort of problems. That is one reason why this forum is so valuable...
I think that part of the problem may lie with the new owner of the TM (or any other RV).

When someone buys a new RV, they usually get a packet with all of the appliance Owner's Manuals, Warranties etc. I'll bet that very few people take the time to fill out the warranty registration card on that stuff and mail it in. Some may not even know that the registration cards are there.

When we bought our 10-year-old (at the time) TM, the appliance registration cards were still all in the packets. Same thing, when we bought our 2002 Coleman PU, back in 2004.

Recalls are the responsibility of the appliance manufacturer. If they don't receive that registration card, they have no way of contacting the end-user. I don't think that it's really fair to blame the RV manufacturer in cases like that (and I'm not saying that anyone is).

I would think that a good selling dealer would sit down with the the purchaser of these RVs and help them fill out all of the registration cards and send them in for the new owner. Then again, I guess that's asking a lot of a salesman that just wants to get the unit off of the lot and move on to the next customer.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
rumbleweed

When we bought our TM, we got the book with all the warranties/ manuals. The dealer had already removed and claimed to have mailed in the registrations. I would much rather have done this myself as I would know for sure they were done properly. If I were buying another one, I would ask that the registrations be left uncompleted and up to me. The good news is that we have each other on the forum to look out for us.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
Skeetman

I have a 2009 1/2 model 3023. I saw the recall notice in Trailer Life magazine and saw that my model was included in the recall. I called Carrier and within 10 days I received the replacement heating element with replacement instructions. Replacement was a breeze - took less than 5 minutes. I could see no obvious difference between the old heating element and the replacement element. Better safe than sorry, though.

Skeetman