TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-21-2002, 09:07 AM   #1
hal

Default Ceiling Lights

Has anyone had a problem with the ceiling lights blowing a fuse?  This may be a rarity but did happen to me.  I began a simple search for a broken wire.  I even removed the light fixture to see if there were any smoke marks near the inner side of the switch. I finally got it to work,.... until I pushed the switch a few times to turn on the light. After blowing a few fuses (including my own) I retraces my search.  Almost invisible was a very small black mark on the ceiling just above the switch.  It seems that the prongs onto which the wires are attached are standing straight up toward the ceiling.  Anyone with a "heavy hand" may push the on/off switch too hard so that it pushes the flexible light closer to the ceiling, thus causing the prongs to come in cotact with the metal ceiling.  After I bent the prongs to a flatter position and reattached  the light fixture to the ceiling, I had no further problems.

Hal
Old 10-22-2002, 11:07 AM   #2
Happytrails

Default Re: Ceiling Lights

Mine did, but I wasn't sure what caused it. I did lose all the lights in the front section on the inside tho. My switches are all of the variety that slide sideways, except for the vent light which is a "turn" type. Are your lights different in yours Hal?
Old 10-22-2002, 12:26 PM   #3
hal

My lights have the slide type switch.  The housings of the lights are quite flexible.  If you push hard enough on the switch as you slide it on, the fixture flexes upward and allows the electrical contacts to short out on the metal ceiling.  It leaves a mark on the ceiling about the size of a pencil mark.  I haven't had any problem since bending the contacts to a flatter position where there is adequate clearance.

Hal
Old 11-16-2002, 03:16 PM   #4

I haven't had any shorting problems.  Seems like either keeping the strands away from the ceiling or putting an insulating material (fishpaper, etc.) would prevent a recurrence.  Maybe even some Contact paper or a couple of layers of masking tape on the ceiling.

I did have a problem in the ceiling light of the rear bed, where the switch would tend to stay ON.  After spending way too much time looking for a replacement switch, I decided to replace the entire assembly.

The manufacturer is Progressive Dynamics Inc.

The RV lighting products are at:
http://www.progressivedyn.com/_frame..._lighting.html

I found it best to call their Service Department (269-781-4241) for the parts.  They were quite helpful and sent a catalog with the parts.  Shipping was $7, but it saved me from more driving around.....  Naturally I ordered "white" when all the rest of the ceiling lights are "ivory", but I'm the only one who's noticed :-)

I also ordered several replacement lenses as the forward lenses that contact the roof of the rear section have become quite dark and discolored.  I plan to install the new ones at set-up and put the old ones back in for travelling.
Old 11-17-2002, 06:46 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
I did have a problem in the ceiling light of the rear bed, where the switch would tend to stay ON ...
Dan -

I have this problem, too! Every time we open the TM and put up the bathroom walls, we find that this light is on. I thought I was losing my mind. Finally decided that something about the motion of the ceiling against the bed as we travel gradually moves the switch to the ON position. My first thought was to replace the fixture. My second thought was to turn the fixture around and see if the motion will turn it off. My third thought, I have to admit, has been to ignore it. The light can't come on when the bathroom wall is down, so I see no danger of overheating anything. When we get back into warmer climes, I may return to number 2. If so, I will post the results. But in the meantime, I feel better knowing I am not the only one.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote