TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-17-2003, 02:25 PM   #1
camperboy

Default Stir-up Handles

We saw the new 2004 TMs at the Harrisburg show this past weekend. Saw some new features that I now plan to add to my 1990 M-26 (3023). One of the items on that list are the stir-up type things one the arms into which one can place one's foot to assist in latching the shells. The hardware for this should be available to my local hardware store. S

So my question is this: where on the arms are they located? Distance from corner where the arms turn into the shell when closed would be great. Also, if someone knows, would drilling the appropriate size hole and using nuts, washers and lock washers on both sides of them arm work OK? I think this is they way they were installed on the new models I saw. If I can do this my DW might be able to put the TM down by herself. Right now it takes too much upper body strength to get the shells to latch.

As far as the much discussed bumper storage, it's a nice idea. Prefered the sewer hose in the tubular bumper. Perhaps a carrier could be mounted under the trailer somehow to solve that. Then the new rear bumper would be great. The power cord is fine, but how about detachable like the big rigs. That's another project. ;D ;D
Old 09-17-2003, 05:52 PM   #2
Windbreaker

Default Re:Stir-up Handles

This photo was not taken to answer your question but maybe it will help.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:24 PM   #3
Happytrails

Thanks Wind, I was about to say, a picture is worth a thousand words.......BTW, he probably doesn't have the plastic shields that come down on his, so he needs to take that into account. Curious tho, where are you located Camperboy? We have a Harrisonburg, Va that's not far from where we live, was just curious.......

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]
Old 09-17-2003, 08:25 PM   #4
camperboy

Windbreaker - thanks for that pic. Really answers a lot of questions. I can get size and location close since I know the width of the arms. Happy is right, I don't have the plastic pieces on my '90 model.

I'm located in northern New Jersey, just a short 30 minutes by car to Times Square. (Yuck - like to park between trees!) Made the trip to Harrisburg, PA to see the sites and the new TMs. Got some good ideas there and saw some outragous rigs.

Happytrails … your TM should have the same shim adjusting method on the torsion bars that mine does, as opposed to the newer bolt style. Have you tried to adjust those yet? This project is also on my very long to-do list which never seems to get shorter. Already have replace rotted wood which looked very much like what you have posted on your website. (Great site!)

Thanks all!
Camperboy
Old 09-18-2003, 05:14 PM   #5
Happytrails

Camperboy, again, a pic is worth a thousand words. This was faxed to me directly by TM.....Hope this helps!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........[/glow]
Old 10-06-2003, 02:58 PM   #6
camperboy

Finally got around to adding the handles to the TM this weekend. I attached a pic. Not as neat and fancy as the OEM one, but just as functional. Still plan to repaint the arms, but have yet to get paint.

Also investigated adjusting the torsion arms for the front shell but they have been adjusted all the way up already so we'll live with it as we have been. Asked the fellows at the TM display in Harrisburg if they could adjust the arms at the dealer but they indicated I'd have to go to the factory.

Thanks for all the great help!
Camperboy
Old 10-06-2003, 04:15 PM   #7
Happytrails

Camperboy, looks like a great job. I want to add that modification as well to mine.

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]