TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
muz123

Default Lift Arm Hitting Torsion Bar

I noticed that the rear shell of my 3023 was difficult to close. After looking around, I noticed the lift arm was hitting the front torsion bar on the door side, as it went up (or down). This was also causing the curb rear shell latch bracket not to straight up and down, or perpendicular to the ground. The threads that show how to adjust the lift arm do not seem to apply here. I'm stuck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	6481  
muz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
retiredgoat

On my 3326 they are seperated by a few inches so I would say look under the TM and compare both sides for seperation and if the screws or bolts loosened up and moved maybe. Just measure first and maybe you'll see an differance which is a starting place.

I'll look at mine tonight after I get home from work and will measure the seperation of the two arms just to give you a differant referance to compare to and will post tomorrow while at work(this darn work thing getting in the way of fun hahahaha)Sunday.

Bob
Old 09-19-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
retiredgoat

Hi Muz123,

Here's the pictures I promised, the spacing is close to start with so if yours has started rubbing I would check the hold down bolts for the bracket that holds the arm in place.

Good luck
Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0362.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	6486   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0363.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	6487  
Old 09-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
muz123

Bob-
Thanks. It looks to me that either the front shell torsion bracket is loose due to the rear shell lift bar hitting it or the bracket is causing them to touch. It's a chicken/egg thing! I'll try it!
-Dave
Old 09-19-2011, 11:49 PM   #5
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz123 View Post
I noticed that the rear shell of my 3023 was difficult to close. After looking around, I noticed the lift arm was hitting the front torsion bar on the door side, as it went up (or down). This was also causing the curb rear shell latch bracket not to straight up and down, or perpendicular to the ground. The threads that show how to adjust the lift arm do not seem to apply here. I'm stuck!
muz123:

From your one picture it looks to me that the rear shell strut has settled down too far on the torsion bar (those four bolts on the strut only serve to clamp the strut to the bar. The strut can move up or down if the clamp bolts are not tight). The strut bottom should be up high enough to clear the front shell strut torsion bar.

Check the distance from the top of the torsion bar to the bottom of the shell at each strut (front four and rear four) they should all be the same.

I think my 3326 struts are all 41" (top of torsion bar to bottom of shell). I'll check next weekend. I had to raise my door side, rear shell struts after our second trip in the 3326 (one month from brand new). For me the problem showed up as a door closing problem. The door side rear shell front and rear struts had settled 3/4" compared to the other six struts.

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
muz123

Jerry-

Do you mean the top of the lift bar to the bottom of the shell?
-Dave
Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Jerry-

Do you mean the top of the lift bar to the bottom of the shell?
-Dave
To be sure we are talking about the same things, the lift bars (struts) are white, rectangular and vertical. The torsion bar is at the bottom and is black and round.

I mean (with the shells up), measure the distance from the top surface of the round, black, torsion bar to the bottom edge of each shell. The top of the strut is attached to the shell. The bottom of each strut sits on the "bent up" portion of the torsion bar and can slide up or down on this "round peg". The strut is held in place by the four bolts at the bottom of the strut (when it is vertical). If those bolts are even slightly loose, the strut will drop all the way down until it rests on the round top surface of the torsion bar.

I'll try to edit a picture to show what I mean. It will take me a while to get that done.

Jerry

Maybe this will help explain what I am attempting to say:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	StrutAdjustment.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	6488  
Old 09-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
muz123

Thanks! I'll try it first chance I get. I hope that's all I have to do to stop the front strut front hitting the rear torsion bar. I'll let you know how it goes.
Dave
Old 09-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #9
muz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekenSpider View Post
To be sure we are talking about the same things, the lift bars (struts) are white, rectangular and vertical. The torsion bar is at the bottom and is black and round.

I mean (with the shells up), measure the distance from the top surface of the round, black, torsion bar to the bottom edge of each shell. The top of the strut is attached to the shell. The bottom of each strut sits on the "bent up" portion of the torsion bar and can slide up or down on this "round peg". The strut is held in place by the four bolts at the bottom of the strut (when it is vertical). If those bolts are even slightly loose, the strut will drop all the way down until it rests on the round top surface of the torsion bar.

I'll try to edit a picture to show what I mean. It will take me a while to get that done.

Jerry

Maybe this will help explain what I am attempting to say:

Jerry-

I did raise the lift bars and it did help to where it rubs the torsion bar but does not "bang" into it as before. I still wonder if it is suppose to rub at all.
Dave
Old 09-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Jerry-

I did raise the lift bars and it did help to where it rubs the torsion bar but does not "bang" into it as before. I still wonder if it is suppose to rub at all.
Dave
I do not think it should rub or even touch the other torsion bar. I'll have my TM out of storage tomorrow to work on some modifications over the weekend and will take some more pictures for this discussion.

Jerry