TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tips and Tricks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-31-2018, 01:49 PM   #1
CampingClam

Default Maximizing garage storage space using car skates

Hi all, my first post here, thought this trick was worth sharing. I bought a 2008 2720 last November after searching Craigslist for 2 years. Finally found one that was in showroom condition. Storing my TM in the garage was mandatory - I'm too cheap to pay monthly fees and I want it to stay this nice for as long as possible, so not in the sun.

The problem I was having was not getting the trailer into the garage or the depth (I have a swing away jack). For me, the problem was trying to get the TM as close as possible to the side wall so that I could use the rest of the garage for parking.

The closest I could get it to the side wall with the push-and-pull shimmy exercise was about 2 feet due to the angles and length of the trailer. This was also very hard work.

The solution? These, a pair of car skates: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use my car jack and a sturdy 2x4 to lift EACH SIDE of the TM by it's frame near the axle and slide the skate under the tire (do not be tempted to lift once by the axle center point or your axle will permanently frown) This takes about 1 minute per side. Also, make sure that the casters on the skate are aligned in the direction you want to move.

Then, align the hitch wheel in the same direction, place your hands in a "sturdy" spot somewhere mid-trailer and push it to the wall. Takes a bit of force to get it rolling but it is still a one man job. I have my wife push the side of the trailer while I push and control the angle of the trailer by pushing at the tongue. I get it roughly 1/2" from the wall. Then, after lowering the tongue onto a jack stand, I pull both pins on my swing away tongue and set the front part out of the way (I made a quick disco for the power tongue jack cables).

When I want to leave, since pulling is harder, I just attach a ratchet strap between the wheel and something heavy/anchored in my garage (like a car, but an eye-bolt epoxied into the opposite cove base is what I use) and just ratchet the trailer out until there is enough room between it and the wall to start pushing. Then I push it all the way into the center of the 2-car opening to make garage departure angles as care free as possible.

I researched this idea before buying the skates and couldn't really find any good examples of people using these for trailers, so I hope this helps someone else to know that IT WORKS! We park the family SUV next to the TM everyday and now there is plenty of room on both sides to open car doors and/or walk through.

Happy TMing
CampingClam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:07 PM   #2
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default Or just buy a trailer dolly

See this link

https://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb...lly-69898.html

Easier than your solution and if you have two people it’s even easier. I also need to park my SUV next to my trailer.

I am totally out of shape, not real,strong, yet even I can use this to position my trailer in my garage by myself. I place markings on the garage floor, strategically place wheel chucks to ensure trailer doesn’t go back too far, then it’s a matter of minor tweaks.

But it starts with backing the trailer into the garage far enough that the jack is within the garage. Just makes it easier not to have to push over the lip of the garage. I typically angle it in but kind of centered this giving me room to maneuver it into place.

Just make sure tire if fully inflated.

I do this without backup cameras or anyone helping as I am single and live alone. Some day I will install a backup camera and it will be a piece of cake.

Others spend a lot more for an electric mover. Someone will probably post a link to that.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:55 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The skates don't sound like a bad idea, and may be easier to use than the dolly.

I have the same dolly as Bailey'sMom. I use it to move my boat and trailer around at camp, over ground that is not completely flat, and which is "paved" with crusher dust. It works well, and would work even better on nice flat concrete.

It has two annoyances.

First, whenever I go to use it, the tires are flat. All of these small tubeless pneumatic tires will hold air for about a week, then have to be reinflated. Since I have a compressor, this is not a big deal. A bike pump might do the job, bit it would require some patience. The real solution is to read the tire size from the sidewall, then go to someplace like Tractor Supply and buy inner tubes to fit the tire. Inner tubes hold air a lot better than small tubeless tires, and cost only about $5 each.

Second, if I want to make a really sharp turn, I pull the dolly's handle to the side until it is almost perpendicular to the length of the trailer. But if I move it too far to the side, the tire gets jammed under the trailer A-frame. I solved this by getting a long-shank hitch ball, and a stack of washers. This lifts the trailer tongue higher, so it will clear the tire.

This has been a great solution for me.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
First, whenever I go to use it, the tires are flat.
Bill -- You should look at getting a set of urethane tires. Basically, a tire filled with solid urethane foam. They'll never go flat. There are kits available where you can fill a tire with foam yourself, and although I've never used them, a reputable dealer told me that the kits are garbage, as the foam used will often create flat spots, rendering the tire useless.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #5
DudeAbides

I have to use a dolly AND skates. My 2720 only fits if it goes tongue first into the garage. So I use the dolly to pull it in by hand to the middle of the garage, than lift each side to put the skate under the tire. Then I can push it sideways to the wall so we can still fit a vehicle in there.
DudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:54 PM   #6
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeAbides View Post
I have to use a dolly AND skates. My 2720 only fits if it goes tongue first into the garage. So I use the dolly to pull it in by hand to the middle of the garage, than lift each side to put the skate under the tire. Then I can push it sideways to the wall so we can still fit a vehicle in there.

I never thought of doing that. Mine would fit that way. Unfortunately, with the slope of my driveway, my TM would be in the neighbors yard using that dolly. I'd need a motorized dolly.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
The skates don't sound like a bad idea, and may be easier to use than the dolly.

I have the same dolly as Bailey'sMom. I use it to move my boat and trailer around at camp, over ground that is not completely flat, and which is "paved" with crusher dust. It works well, and would work even better on nice flat concrete.

It has two annoyances.

First, whenever I go to use it, the tires are flat. All of these small tubeless pneumatic tires will hold air for about a week, then have to be reinflated. Since I have a compressor, this is not a big deal.

Second, if I want to make a really sharp turn, I pull the dolly's handle to the side until it is almost perpendicular to the length of the trailer. But if I move it too far to the side, the tire gets jammed under the trailer A-frame.

Bill
This is true. Thankfully I have a small air compressor that my dad got me for Christmas one year because he knew I would love it. Little did I know how right he was. I use it religiously to fill my trailer and car tires.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)

Both purchased July 2013

New bag seals Sept 2020
Old 06-03-2018, 12:06 PM   #8
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default This sounds great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Bill -- You should look at getting a set of urethane tires. Basically, a tire filled with solid urethane foam. They'll never go flat..

Dave
Where do you find these?

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)

Both purchased July 2013

New bag seals Sept 2020