TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
campquilter

Default holding tank capacity

What is the capacity of the gray water holding tank? What is the capacity of the black water holding tank? I have a 2720SL, 2007
campquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Grey water holds 30 gallons. TM's don't have a black water tank. Your Thetford Electromagic holds approximately 6 gallons.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Curious how long does it typically take most of you to fill up the gray holding tank? I was kind of surprised maybe even disappointed that it was filling so fast the first trip out this past weekend. At least according to the meter, all four lights were on, during the stretch from Friday afternoon to Sat. evening. Yeah we were kind of excited to have hot and cold water for a change and we used it pretty much like we do at home. Only one short shower taken with a couple hair washes at the sink. Minimal amount of dish washing. But I suppose a lot of hand washing too with the 4 YO grandkid along.

Maybe know I now why our home water bill is so high, LOL. Not sure if we would make it through a stay of several days at that rate.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
mecicon
TrailManor Master

With a 4 YO I would just use hand wipes to conserve water and gray capacity.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecicon View Post
With a 4 YO I would just use hand wipes to conserve water and gray capacity.
We used some of those up too. I think it was the 57 and 56 years olds mostly responsible. Unless I misunderstand how the gages work? There was a green light on the bottom, then a yellow, then 2 reds at highest 2 levels. I know it took a minute or three emptying at the dump station. Toilet water went out in 30 seconds or less.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
Curious how long does it typically take most of you to fill up the gray holding tank? . . .
Jeri and I spent 5 days (4 nights) at a state park in VT the first week of this month (dry camping). I started with 20 gallons of water in the fresh water tank and added an additional 10 gallons during our stay. On the morning of the 5th day we had just enough water in the fresh water tank to wash the breakfast dishes - not enough for showers. At that point I assumed there was close to 30 gallons of water in the gray holding tank. Our water usage included showers each morning, except on day 5. Those level indicator lights are not always accurate. I've learned to note not only the colors but the intensity of the colors. Next time you camp, try using the fresh water tank instead of the potable water hook up to get a better sense of your water usage.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
moaboy

The lights are somewhat misleading based on my experience. They seem to move to the next level, perhaps when it is just breaching that amount. I agree with the comment about " intensity." One can also keep on using your gray tank at least until you see water coming up thru your drain in the shower, which is usually the low point in the system. Yea, then you are full. Sounds worse than it is. And doesn't really hurt anything...depending on what goes down your drains!
Old 09-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

When we dry camp I keep a dish tub in the sink to collect all of the dishwater. I dump it out like tent campers do so that it doesn't go into the tank. If there's showers at the facility, we use the showers. If not, we do navy showers in the TM. Baby wipes are a must.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:44 PM   #9
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

We almost exclusively dry camp. With our first TM, 2417 Sport, we only had 8 gallons of gray capacity. I emptied about 5 gallons a day into a bucket, and that emptied the tank. If DW took a shower (every-other day), I got a full 8 gallons out.

I can take a Navy shower with less than a gallon, but she tends to use about 3 gallons per shower. Never leave the water running while washing hands or brushing teeth. If doing dishes, wipe all food chunks off plates with paper towel, to minimize water needed.

Dry camping, or camping where you can't easily empty gray tank, requires paying attention to water use. It is not nearly the same as water use at home. It could be argued that we use way too much water at home, since it is always available, and always goes away with no effort.

We can go 6 nights with 40 gallons of fresh water. With a 30-gallon gray tank, and a 6 gallon toilet cassette, that almost balances out with input/outflow. We drink water from the fresh tank, so it is almost a perfect balance, for 6 days. Beyond that, I need to empty gray, and fill fresh.

Hope this helps your calculations.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
dr carver
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
I was kind of surprised maybe even disappointed that it was filling so fast the first trip out this past weekend. At least according to the meter, all four lights were on, during the stretch from Friday afternoon to Sat. evening.
I had what seemed to be something similar. It seemed the display was either empty or full very quickly. What I found was that the wires to the sensors were hooked up incorrectly. The red wire should go to the top sensor, green to the middle and yellow to the lower. These are at the side of the grey water tank.

The attached pictures are with it wired backwards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0283.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	10694   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0284.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	10695  
TV - 2011 Ford Expedition w/towing package

dr carver is offline   Reply With Quote